Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for all new speakers in the 98LS. (front, tweeter, rear)
Im not into rap or loud ass bass, nor do i want subs or anything.

I just have a limit of $250.00 I'm willing to spend, and Id like my music to come out good and clean.

Any recommendations out there based upon expierence?
Any brands are welcome as long as the quality is good.



HEAD UNIT AUDIO SPECS:

Operating voltage: 11-16 VDC, negative ground
Speaker output impedance: 4~8 ohms
Line output voltage: 2 Volts
Line output impedance: 200 ohms
Chassis dimensions: 7.13" x 6.57" x
60x4 Max Power (240 Watts)
Import ISO/DIN mountable
Internal cooling fan
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs
Maximum Power: 4x60 Watts
Aux input
Built-in EQ
Electronic volume, bass, treble, balance, and fader
MOSFET audio output
5.1 audio outputs (RCA)
2 Audio/video inputs (RCA)
1 Rear camera input (RCA)
1 Composite video output
24-Bit D/A Converter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
hes not gonna get front and back speakers and tweeters from type-r's for only 250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
alright, grab a cup of coffee.. Some are going to argue with me but hey, it's the interwebz..

If you buy new speakers all around, you are not going to hear that significant of a difference compared to if you purchased a new head unit. Right now I'm going to assume that you have the factory unit, if you have an aftermarket then skip down to the next paragraph. The factory unit is extremely limited in performance and sound quality, for some reason the integra got really shafted when it came to audio. If you're on a budget, take a look at some of Alpine's lower-end models. They have decks ranging from $150.00 all the way up to $4,000.00; basically something for everyone and the quality of the decks are all pretty much there. Alpine is a well known company and they're decks are very user friendly IMO so I would start there. A few other choices to start researching are Eclipse, Pioneer, Kenwood, among others.

You're going to hear a huge upgrade over stock, but then you'll start to notice that the factory speakers are starting to "bog down" the deck and not let it perform. This is where your original idea came in. You need to decide whether you want co-axials or components (also known as seperates). I would reccomend components in the front (such as the alpine type-r) and no speakers in the back - we actually have an installation article on the site here . Yes I said it, no speakers in the back. Research "sound staging" and you'll understand what I mean. The type-r components will sound "good" (and i say good, because sound is relative) off of an aftermarket deck, but not as clear/crisp as they could.

This is where an amp comes into play. Now I bet you're thinking "I don't want to mess with an amp, I'm not that into car audio" but you're really not doing those speakers any justice unless you give them the power they deserve. All you need is a simple two-channel amp that gives out enough power to keep the components clean with no distortion. If memory serves me correct, the type-r components are rated at 75RMS watts each. Again this is preference, but I would run a 200 watt 2 channel amp to pair up with these speakers. If you want more detailed info on why this set up works, PM me.. I don't want to explain out audio theory unless I have to.


...no idea why I just wrote all that, I guess I'm that bored at work. cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
please explain why no speakers in the back is good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
why not get back speakers with a seperate amp? or a 4 channel with more power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
Crimmy on Sep/15/07 said:
please explain why no speakers in the back is good?
x2

I'm thinking about upgrading my audio too. I want some crisp clear sounding audio. I also need to find a good way to have the front speakers fit in better without the cover cutting into the speaker surrounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
jesussaves4024 on Sep/15/07 said:
alright, grab a cup of coffee.. Some are going to argue with me but hey, it's the interwebz..

If you buy new speakers all around, you are not going to hear that significant of a difference compared to if you purchased a new head unit. Right now I'm going to assume that you have the factory unit, if you have an aftermarket then skip down to the next paragraph. The factory unit is extremely limited in performance and sound quality, for some reason the integra got really shafted when it came to audio. If you're on a budget, take a look at some of Alpine's lower-end models. They have decks ranging from $150.00 all the way up to $4,000.00; basically something for everyone and the quality of the decks are all pretty much there. Alpine is a well known company and they're decks are very user friendly IMO so I would start there. A few other choices to start researching are Eclipse, Pioneer, Kenwood, among others.

You're going to hear a huge upgrade over stock, but then you'll start to notice that the factory speakers are starting to "bog down" the deck and not let it perform. This is where your original idea came in. You need to decide whether you want co-axials or components (also known as seperates). I would reccomend components in the front (such as the alpine type-r) and no speakers in the back - we actually have an installation article on the site here . Yes I said it, no speakers in the back. Research "sound staging" and you'll understand what I mean. The type-r components will sound "good" (and i say good, because sound is relative) off of an aftermarket deck, but not as clear/crisp as they could.

This is where an amp comes into play. Now I bet you're thinking "I don't want to mess with an amp, I'm not that into car audio" but you're really not doing those speakers any justice unless you give them the power they deserve. All you need is a simple two-channel amp that gives out enough power to keep the components clean with no distortion. If memory serves me correct, the type-r components are rated at 75RMS watts each. Again this is preference, but I would run a 200 watt 2 channel amp to pair up with these speakers. If you want more detailed info on why this set up works, PM me.. I don't want to explain out audio theory unless I have to.


...no idea why I just wrote all that, I guess I'm that bored at work. cheers

Could not have said it better myself. Please take what he said into careful consideration. I wanted exactly what you wanted and this is the setup i came up with.


Massize Audio CK6 Stage 2 Competition Series components


Profile AP600 California Series amp


Both of those cost my a little under $300 with shipping, and boy, i dont think it could sound any better.... (well possibly)

Install was quite the *****, running wires into the door, but now that its done, i cannot believe what i was missing. Seriously look into that stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Crimmy on Sep/15/07 said:
hes not gonna get front and back speakers and tweeters from type-r's for only 250.
Possible with a discount or if you know someone. I got Type-r's front and back, type-r Sub, 2 Alpine amps and a cap for like ~$850.

I would only recommend a set of woofer/tweeters for the front and one woofer set for the back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
exactly, good lookin out. now take that 90 dollars that you WOULD have spent on the coaxials, and put it towards your amp fund.

edit: just clicked the link, and wow i dont remember them being 115watts rms, thats a f*cking deal. i'd pick those up in a heart beat but i already have other audio plans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
U need an amp for those Alpine Type R, even the Type S components, they sound like crap w/o an amp! trust me I ran Type S components and Type R rear w/o an amp for 2weeks, it sounds 100% better w/ an amp!!

Its going to be hard to find good components and rear speakers for under $250.. specially if you want good quality speakers, than an amp is a must, hell my Alpine amp cost me $300.. lol there go your total amount for your speaker set up..

Type R take a lot of power to make them sound good, and they are bassy speakers, Type S are more clear tone and I think better speakers, BUT I love the type R tweeters.. its a tough decision.

But if you look around you can find used speakers and get the set up for your price range....and they wont be in good condition not abused GL man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn theres a lot of information for me to read into i guess.

The amp idea is really not something i was ever even thinking about but this had me slightly thinking about it.

I have an aftermarket double-din dvd/cd player by alpine. I just thought I'd need speakers.

Lets say if I was dead set on NO AMP. Then that means all i will need is speakers correct?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top