Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Black Spark Plug Wires performed the best. Hmm, I thought NGK would come out on top.

·
Registered
936 Posts
they didn't test Nology...i've heard the best reviews for them, but they do cost considerably more than MSD wires...

·
Registered
88 Posts
yea i was wondering how the nology hotwires would do, i've always heard they were the best, its to bad they didn't test them.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The largest difference between them was only 4whp? I would say thats easily in the realm of dyno inconsistancy. I have herd of cars making 5whp difference with out any changes, with the same water temp, oil temp, back to back.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
That's exactly what I thought. Too many veriables. You would have different #'s with the same wires on there through all the tests.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The MSD have the least resistance, which would means more Amps for the spark.

And as far as Nology wire, I had then 2 times and both times the wires thenself pulled out when you pulled them off the spark plug. New I have the MSD wires.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't figure the difference would be noticeable on a dyno, but it looks like that's about as close as we will get to weeding out all the crap from facts. Wires are a waste of money anyway, unless you plan on installing the whole MSD package or another similar setup.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Resistance versus Performance
There is a great perception in the performance community that the lower the measured resistance of a wire than the higher the performance that the wire will deliver. As the results of our test show, this is not a true statement. The performance output of the engine was not a direct function of spark plug wire resistance. In fact, the used stock wire with the highest resistance outperformed one of the lower-resistance aftermarket wires. The bottom line is that spark plug wire resistance is really a marketing tool rather than a purchasing consideration.
So what was the point of the exercise if you read the highlighted red from their article? None. tehre was no point. TPR compared resistance. Big whoop. Even the TPR guys know it and said it. Read the red bolded sentence THEY wrote.

secondly, note that this was tested in a . This 1991 Honda Civic has been the recipient of a JDM B16 engine swap and a DRAG turbo system.

the bottomline i/h/c/e and most N/A do NOT need or benefit from anyone spending (WASTING) money on these.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
MD, do you think maybe since it was an FI b16 that an ignition system or fancy spark plug wires would make a difference more so on a FI car than a NA?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
ignition systems prevent engine power loss. they don't gain power.

the idea that more spark energy is needed or less resistance is needed to GAIN power is from the people getting brainwashed by the marketing without ANY critically thinking.

when I had this discussion with Russ Collins (RC Engineering) as a noob, he informed me that the stock igniton system is actually making enough spark energy to cover for 350-400 hp and doesn't need assistance until you get into high high cylinder pressures (usually boost but some people ran 13.5-14:1 N/A).

we already covered the BS about resistance.

the next marketing ploy is high rpm precision and recovery time. capcitive discharge is marketed as delivering consistent sparks with short recovery times at higher rpms. Yet even at 11,000 rpm, the stock system doesn't stutter and misfire if you use the proper sparkplug heat range and gap. The only time you LOSE power is when the cylinder pressures are so high that they do impede spark travel and cause misfire or incomplete burning. But you don't reach for the ignition upgrade until you've shown that your plug is the right one at the right gap first.

so why do people get sucked in?

pure and simple: Barnum said it -> there's one born every minute.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad I saw this, I was about to dump some cash into plug wires...

What about plugs? Iridium vs. whatever? Does it mean anything or just increase shelf life?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
cluelessmale on Mar/18/04 said:
The MSD have the least resistance, which would means more Amps for the spark.
voltage controls spark intensity, not amperage. the amperage is actually pretty low in the secondary side of the ignition system.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
i dont know alot about wires, all i know is i have the thickest wires ever Magnecore 10mm wires

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm glad I didn't cough up too much money for these bling-bling brand name wires - I paid $60 for Honda OEM for my GSR to replace some crappy aftermarket ones and they fit perfectly - I always knew that aftermarket ignition systems are just a waste of hard earned money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts