Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was changing my plugs today and one of the spark plugs will not get tight, it feels like its threading in most of the way, but then it never gets tight like the others. I may have just not turned it enough but I didnt want to mess it up worse than it is just in case.

Is this a serious issue? If it is stripped out how hard is that to fix?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I ran a search, looks like there is some process called inserting a helicoil? I ran a search for that and nothing came up. What exactly is this? Is it costly and does it take a long time to do?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
If you stripped those threads, that head will have to come off to get a helicoil put in. Google helicoil or timesert for an explanation far better than I can give.

Someone must have tightened the hell out of those spark plugs... you do use antiseize on them right?

Some people believe in the torque wrench for spark plugs, some believe in just crushing that washer that is on there by hand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is the first time I've changed the plugs on this car as I just recently bought it, I'm not sure on its history.

Anyone out there had a helicoil insert put in? If so, about how long did it take, how much did it cost?

For now I'll try to find some info on google.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
please do not have it helicoiled... bad solution. i am a welder and work at a machine shop and the best solution is to have the hole filled with filler metal via stick welding, bored, then re-tapped to stock pitch and thread. you can have helicoils welded in, but they still have the possibility to strip again. so in short, take it to a machine shop and have them fix it the right way... not with a helicoil...

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
pubestripe on Apr/10/06 said:
please do not have it helicoiled... bad solution. i am a welder and work at a machine shop and the best solution is to have the hole filled with filler metal via stick welding, bored, then re-tapped to stock pitch and thread. you can have helicoils welded in, but they still have the possibility to strip again. so in short, take it to a machine shop and have them fix it the right way... not with a helicoil...
I've called in for headwork to fix some stuff that broke during shipping and most places will charge ~$100 an hour.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
GunNam on Apr/10/06 said:
Quote: pubestripe on Apr/10/06please do not have it helicoiled... bad solution. i am a welder and work at a machine shop and the best solution is to have the hole filled with filler metal via stick welding, bored, then re-tapped to stock pitch and thread. you can have helicoils welded in, but they still have the possibility to strip again. so in short, take it to a machine shop and have them fix it the right way... not with a helicoil...

I've called in for headwork to fix some stuff that broke during shipping and most places will charge ~$100 an hour.
Stick weld aluminum?

I always thought that to properly weld aluminum, they use a process called "Heli-arc welding"?

I'll have to google that later...

$100 an hour once or $80 an hour twice?

If you plan on keeping the car for awhile, I'd pay the money to have it fixed properly and permanently.

Actually, either way you have to pull the head. Might as well spend the extra few bucks and get it done right.

It would also be smart to make sure they use the same alloy when welding up the hole. I can't recall what alloy is used for our heads right now.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
yes you can arc weld aluminum... it is not too bad, but i really hate arc welding as is...lol

i had damage on a c1 block where the mount bolted to and we tig welded that. since the head and block are cast, they have to be pre-heated to about 500 degrees, give or take depending on what needs to be welded. preheating ensures that the weld will adhere so to speak and not cause fracturing during welding...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I ran a search, looks like there is some process called inserting a helicoil? I ran a search for that and nothing came up. What exactly is this? Is it costly and does it take a long time to do?
Just use a spark plug thread maker then screw the new thread and on top of the new thread the new spark plug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts