Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do OEM wires & dist & rotor work good with perfomance or is there aftermarket products that do better? I have NGK plugs is there better plugs too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,097 Posts
Stock is best. The only upgrade you could make to your distributor is to bypass it completely and go with a distributor-less direct ignition system.

I'm not sure however how heavy your engine package would have to be to actually see an improvement from going with a direct ignition system. I can't imagine you would see anything from it on a stock internals motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
oem uses ngks(spark plugs and wires).. u wont need to upgrade unless you're putting out a lot more hp than basic bolt ons.. perhaps if you went turbo or started using funny gas..

but i've noticed my mpg increasing from the spark plug wires.. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I just reached the 60K mile mark on my car and changed out the stock OEM NGK plugs with Denso Iridiums(IK20) and Neuspeed 8MM wires. All i have is basic bolt ons and I noticed the engine is livelier. Not faster or more powerful but a good solid feel.

The NGK plugs were well weathered after 60K miles on them. Also, I experienced a wierd sound after turning my engine of the first few times after the install.. like pressure releasing from the engine... i dunno, i could have been imagining it. but it hasn't done it since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,217 Posts
SurferX on Sep/18/02 said:
Stock is best. The only upgrade you could make to your distributor is to bypass it completely and go with a distributor-less direct ignition system.
Electromotive crank triggered distributorless ignition:



allows for a long enough spark to span the arc of the plug at 15,000 rpm engine speed. No capacitive discharge based system can do this. There's not enough recovery time for the capacitor to recharge and fire at that high an engine rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,719 Posts
phrixion on Sep/18/02 said:
I just reached the 60K mile mark on my car and changed out the stock OEM NGK plugs with Denso Iridiums(IK20)...
I can't belive I wasted money on these iridium plugs (IK22). Considered one of my worse upgrades and definatelty not worth the $14 or so bucks each. I was sucked into that rice advertising thing at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
sak on Sep/18/02 said:
I can't belive I wasted money on these iridium plugs (IK22). Considered one of my worse upgrades and definatelty not worth the $14 or so bucks each. I was sucked into that rice advertising thing at the time.
At least you only have a 4 cyl. It would have been twice the mistake in a v8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
SonicBlueTeg on Sep/18/02 said:
oem uses ngks(spark plugs and wires).. u wont need to upgrade unless you're putting out a lot more hp than basic bolt ons.. perhaps if you went turbo or started using funny gas..

but i've noticed my mpg increasing from the spark plug wires.. =)
Do OEM wires (NGK) come in red? because that will really look better than a stock black ignition wire, and match my type-R valve cover. thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,217 Posts
you're better off getting a set of aftermarket wires if you want to color co-ordinate your engine bay. Sometimes though having everything (wires, hoses, clamps, etc.) in the same color or way too much chrome, like the ones you see on High Rev Tuners, makes it look gawdy (too overstated, loud, trailer park aesthetics). A splash of color here and there actually makes the color standout without overwhelming the scheme. That's my own opinion though, so please don't take any personal offense to it.
Aftermarket wires won't improve hp performance compared to stock ones on an all motor car, as Erick Aguilar elegantly showed us with his all motor record 10.59 et B18C1 using stock wires. And since this IS the performance forum and not the show forum, color co-ordination should not be part of the discussion here. thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/20/02 said:
you're better off getting a set of aftermarket wires if you want to color co-ordinate your engine bay. Sometimes though having everything (wires, hoses, clamps, etc.) in the same color or way too much chrome, like the ones you see on High Rev Tuners, makes it look gawdy (too overstated, loud, trailer park aesthetics). A splash of color here and there actually makes the color standout without overwhelming the scheme. That's my own opinion though, so please don't take any personal offense to it.
Aftermarket wires won't improve hp performance compared to stock ones on an all motor car, as Erick Aguilar elegantly showed us with his all motor record 10.59 et B18C1 using stock wires. And since this IS the performance forum and not the show forum, color co-ordination should not be part of the discussion here. thanks.
Knowing that your suggesting getting a set of aftermarket wires; to color co-ordinate my engine bay, what would you suggest comes close to stock OEM wires, but in red?

-Brand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,217 Posts
I wouldn't know to be honest...Taylor are cheap but the connectors fall off easily. MSD has a set of red ones. Vitek's red ones are cloth on the outside and would be hard to clean off if you are doing it for show. Nology wires are useless.

I usually recommend for high CR motors and FI, Magnecore or MSD. They come in red. They are not stock. They cost more than stock.

I guess you can always get a set of cheap red Taylor wires when you are showing the car and then switch back to stock ones when you are driving. That's one option if you are trying to save money. If money is not the issue then any aftermarket brand that is red will work for your show purposes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/21/02 said:
I wouldn't know to be honest...Taylor are cheap but the connectors fall off easily. MSD has a set of red ones. Vitek's red ones are cloth on the outside and would be hard to clean off if you are doing it for show. Nology wires are useless.

I usually recommend for high CR motors and FI, Magnecore or MSD. They come in red. They are not stock. They cost more than stock.

I guess you can always get a set of cheap red Taylor wires when you are showing the car and then switch back to stock ones when you are driving. That's one option if you are trying to save money. If money is not the issue then any aftermarket brand that is red will work for your show purposes.
I agree with you on the Taylors, they are not costly but the connectors do fall off easily. I had a pair of Taylors that were black before I switched my wires back to OEM. So, out of the options of brand wires that you have given me, MSD attracts my decision.

I only have bolt ons on my car (I,E,H), and Ive read from past posts that switching to 8mm MSD wires is useless unless you have force induction or are supercharged. Otherwise 8mm wires are useless and might cause a decrease in performance on my teg.(Correct me if Im wrong). My question is will switching to MSD wires (red) cause a decrease in performance? if not then I will get the MSD wires probablly this weekend. thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
WHOA i know this is a VERy old article, but i was wondering HOW do you know when to change the spark plug wires? yes i've checked all the sites that were given in this post. thanks michael i see u everywhere hahah u are like the superior one as well as neouser. haha
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top