Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to lay down some sound "deadening" material in my car to eliminate some road, exhaust noise. I know a lot of you probably think it would be stupid, but I think it would make for a much nicer everyday driving experience. I was looking at secondskinaudio.com for some of their products (a lot loike dynamat from what i hear, but cheaper). I dont want to spend a bundle on this project, and I only intend on putting the material in my front door panels and along the hatch (behind the panels). Anyone with any experience in this area? I want some thinner material that is easier to work with, but doesn't cost too much. Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've got a 50 sq. ft. roll of B-Quiet Extreme. I ordered two rolls, and only used one! If you'd like to buy it cheap, message me.

It's comparable to original dynamat, light, and easy to install.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I will let you know how it goes as I am going to be trying out this next weekend, but my friend swears by removing everythnig from hatch and spraying down with rubberized undercoating, said it massively made a difference on all his cars. I think I am going to add a bit of sound deadening material on top of this to hopefully really make a difference. He also said to cut road noise to put some of the metallic bubblewrap, or anything that doesn't absorb water in front of car door, between car door and engine bay.

I am steam cleaning car and sound deadening it this weeken to make way for new stereo I am putting in. Hope I can take care of most of the issues, but still wish I knew about the issue everyone mentions about noisy spoiler.

·
Registered
337 Posts
its great to do the doors and the hatch and all and it'll kill alot of sound but the best thing you can do is under the carpet. especially in the rear. to prove my statement; drive down rd. @ 55 or so, then go bck where you came from, drop the back seats and do it again, one more time and take out the carpet and spare cover and drive again. you wont beleive how loud it is! you use dynamat or whatever kind of mat, cover spare tire, take out panels, do the wheel wells and i promise you, you'll think you're in a diff car! another great place is under the carpet between the firewall. the doors and hatch are great too, but alot of people never consider what comes through the floor, exhaust note, tire noise etc. look at alot of the bmw, lexus, mercedes, they all use heavier carpets and thicker padding, most people think this is for more comfort and duraility, true but it doesnt have to be thicker to be more durable, but these dense materials do deaden more sound and give you that quiet luxurious ride!! just my two cents!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Holy, I did the undercoating spray on the inside of my hatch, down by the spare tire. Man what a difference. I used 2 cans of spray, and now not only does my car sound quieter, the hatch is now dark black instead of silver, looks good and sounds better. I recommend this to all, as is simple, shouldn't effect weight all that much, and I really noticed a sound difference. Now gonna try dynamatting the floor and firewall, and put a layer of some kind of sound deadening material in hatch below carpet, but above spare tire, and also putting sound deadening foam in between front of doors and the engine compartment. Then after all that, hoping to get my stereo put in. Man I got my car new, and waited until 325,000 kms before doing this, what was I thinking.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vivisector, do you mean u just used that cheap "underbody coating", tar looking stuff? I thought that stuff took forever to dry. Did you spray it all over the hatch (taillights and wires included)? Or just spray it on the floor?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, thats the stuff. I just made sure I bought the 100% rubber undercoating. Most of them have ashphalt in them. And sprayed on floor, and where ever I could. Then I put a heater/fan in the hatch, and let it blow all night. Seemed to dry out fairly well, but fumes stayed in car for a few days after.

Oh and no, I personally didn't spray on taillights or wires, and am not sure if that is a good idea. I stuck to metal parts in the hatch, and around the back.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
ah it shouldn't hurt it but who know wouldn't do enough to risk it IMO also fatmat is a great alternative to dynamat. Vivisector I imagine you are going to have you a nice smelling cr once it gets nice and warm out.
Later,
Jared

·
Registered
379 Posts
Actually I don't think it should be to bad, notice, I said 100% rubber. Many of the undercoating sprays out there have lots or at least some ashphalt in it, which probably causes some smell. My best friend has done this to his trunks, as he is the one to tell me to do it, and I have been in his car when it was 100F and didn't notice anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.