Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90' ls. ive been told that i should get an oe turbo off an eclipse or talon. would anyone know where to get a manifold custom made for that turbo and my car? and would it be cheaper just to buy a used turbo kit or buy individualy? ive searched the site already,and theres nothing that really covers this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have all the time in the world. i can put probably 500-600 dollars into the turbo,manifold and intercooler,do i really need an oil cooler?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
No, but honestly, that's not even the beginnings of enough to get yourself to run reliably. Even if you find the Manifold/ Turbo Combo to start, you only would have about $150-$200 left for the other much needed equipment to get you running safely and reliably, and even then that's just 3 components.

Save the loot, save the headache, do it right...

Other than that you can use an HKS T25 Manifold for B-series, a REBUILT T28 turbo, and maybe an FMU, and you're out of money already

And that's the cheap route

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
what he said, even with an onld dsm or volvo intercooler/turbo, you will need to spend another $200 at least on a used manifold, and another $125 for the fmu. so you owuld be out of money without buying charge piping, oil lines, hoses, missing link, gauges, and install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can get a turbo from a talon awd for 40 dollars. its a 16g whatever that means. im real new to this whole turbo thing.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
it may be $40 but it will be another $200 for the rebuild, because you should never put a used turbo from another car onto your car without rebuilding it.
you can get injectors, blow off valve, intercooler, and turbo/wastegate from any turbo dsm. for all that it will end up costing $400 after turbo rebuild. on top of that you will need a resistor box, a manifold, charge piping, down pipe, exhaust, gauges, a way to control the injectors. people have done $600 complete turbo kits on thier cars. but i have never heard of cheaper than that.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Because you're so new on the turbo "thing". Do yourself a big favor, and don't worry about how you can get this part or that, if you don't even know how it generally works. MD on this site has plenty of articles on turbocharging and how it works, what's effective and what keeps your motor from dying.

I take it that due to some budget concerns, your LS is the only car you have. It would be a shame if you didn't know how things worked, which turbo to use, lines, piping, etc,... go through all these cheap parts, not do a final check on your own motor (mileage, compression test, fluids, etc) just to have it blow up..

If you don't even know what a 16g means, it's a good indication that you should not attempt to fit it on your car, or manifold (which you still don't have, or know which one to get) for that matter. Totally different company and terminology.

My recommendation is to SAVE MoNEY.. The cheap route almost always tends to be much more expensive in the long run, even if you're mechanically inclined.. I can't stress this enough.

Some of us here can help you put a RELIABLE kit together, but you will spend some cash. Converting an orginal NA car into a Turbo is not a cheap thing to do... Hell, it's expensive to modify a factory turbocharged car.

·
Registered
948 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Feb/07/04 said:
lol... you'll spend 500 bucks on stuff to tune it with.

N/A stock -> FI modded isn't cheap.
Turbo = A lot of time and a LOT of money.

I realize "a lot* is a relative term. However $1000 is not "a lot" of money for a turbo. In fact, $1000 will barely get you started.

Doing a turbo right, making it efficient and makign it reliable can often take most hobbiests a year or two and $5000 - $10,000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have three cars. they all run. and my uncle runs an import shop with my grampa. so my tuning is free, not to mention i can get parts pretty cheap, sometimes free. the fact that i have two more cars to fall back on gives me all the time i need. tuning after installation is a must. that's been made abundately clear. but thats not going to be a problem. when i stated my budget that was what i had saved already. i have nothing else at all to spend my money on. so my budget is growing by at least 100-150 dollars a week. i'm not even driving my teg right now due to the fact that it needs a new at tranny. if anyone could help me with that it would be great as well. sorry about being so late getting back to the thread.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
when i get my turbo kit put on my car im just going to run it at 6-8 lbs max until i get enough money to get my pistons, rods and the parts that i may to go with them. but i plan on spending somewhere near 2g's or 2,500 just so i can boost 6-8lbs. i wish it was cheaper than that. but i may come across some great deals becuse i normally do anyways

1 - 12 of 12 Posts