Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to read their article about Erick Aguilar's all motor B18C1 powered Civic that did 10.59 (now) et. at the newstand to kill time while my friend is checking out the latest in travel news abroad at Chapters (like your Borders in the US)...

first, thank goodness someone had already ripped open the plastic bag that seals the mag off from allowing you to peruse it before buying.

anyway, I flip to the 3 page article (actually in terms of text, there's barely a page worth there). I read it in like 3 min.

What amazes me is the lack of any useful info to the person who genuinely wants to emulate Erick. I mean even if you wanted get sucked into buying certain products, no specs that are releasable and not top secret are provided. In the end, I found that you read this and got absolutely zero information. I mean there's a thread over at Honda Tech on his engine and the Toda website that have more information than this article and they are free.

I guess the point to my post is when are we going to demand more content and less fluff? I mean don't get me wrong Superstreet is a fun magazine. I love their Nopi Bikini Contest Coverage, national show scene, and the self-deprecating laid back humor are great attitudes to have (you can't take yourself too seriously). They are the MAD magazine and Toga Party Central of Sport Compact mags...the SCC boys seem to be a bit more "serious" (too serious sometimes).But are you going to get a subscription with that superficial level of info most of the time? We are in the info age and an article that appears to have taken 30 min to write (if that) seems to be rewarded with your hard earned dollar. Am I missing something? Wouldn't Superstreet with all their connections and resources be well served to get a group of engine builders together and ask them to guess what Erick has or how they would build a 10 sec all motor engine with some basic (you don't have to get into the calculus of it) principles of a good race engine? Or are people in the "scene" happy with things as they are in terms of press tabloid coverage? Enquiring minds want to know.

BTW I suspect I could read Superstreet cover to cover at one outing on the throne and this isn't just directed at Superstreet...how about Sport Compact Car? or High Rev Tuners for that matter?

yes, yes I know, they have to kiss their sponsor's ass. But even then, you can get generic descriptions of features needed with general specs without hurting your connections to the parts sponsors.

I think a second year mechanical engineering student with his english major girlfriend could write a hell of an article we could all learn from....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That's why I've always liked European Car - nearly fluff free. Sport COmpact car--which I believe is published by the same folks--does an okay job, too.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Seriously, I pick these mags up now and again for info and all I see are adds for indoglo peldal sets and what have you...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, or they might use your post as one of their "letter of the month" for their upcoming issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bingo.....I dont care about the off the topic, fluffy BS that is in magazines anymore. Give me stats, give me features, give me knowledge.

Unless I'm reading Maxim, then I just want to sit back and enjoy the fluff (If you know what I'm sayin)

·
Registered
428 Posts
if you dont like it, dont read or buy it, just like you would with playgirl.

·
Registered
713 Posts
i think its the same with import tuner magazine... its just a magazine with a good looking girl (sometimes) on the cover with a nice car, just to get the readers attention. but there is hardly enough usefull information and articles. and if they do have articles they are straight out of sport compact car. there are people that actually buy it just because it looks cool. waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what I've found, Superstreet seems to be a little more into the whole idea of the street scene of racing rather than the actual performance angle. Take a look at the types of cars they run articles on. Most of the time it seems as if they have more comentary on looks rather than what it can do on a track. I can't remember the last time I saw a dyno graph in Superstreet. I hate to have to use the "R" word no means to offend anyone, but alot of the car magazines are riding on the wave of popularity in the rice scene. All trash talk aside a moment, superstreet and SCC and others are fun to read, and every so often you do find good information but personally I feel bad for everyone that feels that's all there is to racing nowadays.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The most useful information I've found anywhere when it come to engine mechanics, and information on how to build a performance oriented car has come from here at TI.net. There's more great information in the articles section and on the forums than I've found in any import tuning oriented magazine. The search box is a god send. I have no idea how many questions I've answered for myself with that thing! But for sure read the articles. You'll come out with alot more info and this way for free.

EDIT: I now stand down from my soap box.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
lol. I knew about the articles. They are very informative. But I wanted some kind of book or something that can give me more info. Honda/acura performance any good?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
This first thing one will learn in a writing class is to write for a specific audience. This is no different.

My favorite section of Pooperstreet is the "tech" section. This is a 3 page spread dedicated to the staff answering specific questions. While at the airport, I pissed away three minutes on the 'winning' questions that goes:

"yO,
I've gots some turbo B18C in some hatchback and wanna run betta' times at da damn track. Ya' know? Whut should ah' do?"

Answer from the "techs:"

"You'll make great power by adding an AEM CAI, APEX'i N1 exhaust, and a Greddy BOV. Nothing is cooler than the 'HISS!' Thanks for your question; here's a T-shirt."

I could get better advise, from the electronic geek at Wal-Mart.

It seems most of those rags are written for the "enthusiast." It includes, but doesn't limit, people will downforce issues, strobes, hyper-anything, 8 tone PPG paint jobs, attraction to 90lb stick-girls, obsession with stickers in foreign languages, in-cabin, uncharged fire extinguishers, and refer to their friends as 'their crew.'

Grassroots Motorsports is the only magazine I've found dedicated to cars that are fast and don't have every product made by APC. It offers real advicec from sesioned SCCA drivers and a great 'How To' section. The last 4 issues have been covering "how to become sponsored." I'm putting those methods into affects and have a local Good Year interested in giving me a set of tires, for next year. Advise I gainded is well worth the price of subscription.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hee hee, here I am pulling up the dead again.... I must agree that all the "popular" mags out there are all about hype... I've recently looked back on the stack that I have and I'm just disgusted at the total lack of info and super HYPE that they are. All I see are ads for the big name companys w/out any real specs.... I guess they are good for checking out what not to make your car look like... but that's about it. Hmmm.. come to think of it, I think that I will write a letter in the next few days and send it in.... I'll let you know how that goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts