Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is gonna be a bit long winded, pics to follow I promise.
Hey whats up TI? Been a member since June of 2002, browsed the site for 3-4 months prior to actually registering though. Needless to say, been a member for a LOOOoNG time. Team Integra is the forum by which I judge all other forums. Many many thanks go out to MorningZ for creating and running the site, as well as the crew of mods that keep this place on track. I cant even begin to tell you how many problems/projects/debates/drunken bets team integra has helped me with. So again, thank you. Now.. Enough ass kissing, on to the car huh?

98 Integra GS DC4, got it used as the second owner with 60k miles. The car now has 216,000 miles on it. Loved every single one of them. The original owner had leased the car (based on car fax reports) in Arizona. Somehow it ended up on a used car lot in Florida after the lease expired. The car had a perfect title, and for what was considered "high mileage" (60k in 4 years? Doesn't seem high to me, but whatever) was in very very good shape. Since the car has never been in a cold weather climate, never been exposed to salt on the road. The body is rust free.

Some time between june-august of 2008, the clutch finally went out, and limped me home one last time. At the time I had a second car, so the integra sat, in my driveway, pratically untouched, and unmoved until November of 2009, when I sold my second car. I work from home, and rarely need a car myself since we usually take my fiance's (wife in about 2 weeks from now) car anytime we go anywhere. So I sold the truck, and ordered a new clutch for the integra. Did the clutch swap 100% by my self, with the help of two floor jacks, a rented engine hoist (and of course TI) to line up the input shaft and finish the change. While I was doing the clutch my steering had been loose for about 50k miles, prior to the clutch going out, and I saw I had a bad passenger inner tie rod so I replaced it thinking it would fix the problem. Needless to say it did not.

So with flat spots on the tires, blown speakers, 2-3 year old baked in dirt/grime/hair in the interior, air conditioner that smelled like dead animals were in it, and some squeaky ass brakes due to rear seized caliper, my integra was back! Even with all that crap, I had a grin from ear to ear for the whole 450 of the 500 mile break in period of the clutch.... Then pulling out of my neighborhood one night in early december, the tie rod I replaced? Yea, it seperated from the rack. My car came to a very abrupt stop, I knew it wasnt the clutch because I could feel it grab and the car trying to go, kinda like wheel chocks. I get out, and my front wheels look like this /-\ instead of /-/ or |-| or \-\.. Call AAA get a tow truck to tow me the 1 mile back home. Put the car in the garage. Then the madness began...

What started as a simple tear the front end down and remove the steering rack for replacement, turned into dropping the sub frame, to ordering all new bushings for the front end, all new motor mount inserts,to a "heavy" interior cleaning while the car was down anyway, to full on 100% strip the car to its bare frame and build the teg I always wanted to have, and do so using most of my car that I have sentimental attachment to at this point.

At this point, I am not sure what my plans are. I know that when I am done I want the car in a "like new" mostly OEM condition. Going to be doing some stuff under the hood for sure
Whether it be a full LS/Vtec build, LS Build with turbo or supercharger, or full out type-r swap. I could give a **** less about 1/4 mile times, there will always be someone faster (probably in a supra). I want a quick, nice, reliable fun to drive car. That is exactly what I intend to build, and I intend to do it 100% on my own. only thing I can foresee being unable to do, is windshield removal/installation. Since this has turned into a complete project car, I am not going to cheap out anywhere. It will be done right, the first time. However due to that, it will not be a fast project.

Things I do know for sure I am going to be doing:
-Full wire and brake line tuck, also going to be rebuilding my harnesses
-Shave side moldings, antenna, "Acura" badge holes on rear left.
-Remove sound deadening tar (already done)
-Replace all bushings
-Full paint job (inside and outside) possibly changing the color
-Some type of engine work, either a swap or a build.

For the wire tuck, I intend to write a complete guide on doing it. Lots of information on doing it on these here interwebs, as well as lots of people that say they are going to show you how, but they all seem to skip stuff, or never complete the write up, etc.

Since I wasnt planning on this being this type or project, I dont have any detailed "before" pictures. All the pictures are once the process was started. But imagine a Silver teg, on ls mesh wheels, with purplish, peeling, bubbled tint, with bad bad bad clearcoat failure.

tl;dr: Picture time!
Interior removal for that "heavy" cleaning I mentioned earlier.

I used to smoke heavily (minimum of 2 packs per day, 1 pack per day in the car alone just on my commute). This was the backside of the panel under the steering wheel. What you're seeing on the panel are ashes.

Oh look, its one of my crossovers I mounted in the doors about 5-6 years ago!

ever wish you could go back in time, and kick your own ass for being so stupid?

Hey look, my custom fiberglass box. You know how they say Measure twice, cut once? Yea... same goes for fiberglass. After countless hours putting layer upon layer of fiberglass on this box, got it all finished up and holes cut for the 2 12" L7's ...wouldnt fit in the car with the rear plastic panel in place. I had removed the panel so I didnt get any resin on it... Again, ever wish you could go back in time and relaly kick your own ass? Oh well, lets see whats under that box!

Let this be a reminder, fix your sunroof drain tubes. The picture just doesnt show how bad that smelled. Luckily I left the ducktape in the hatch from glassing the box, so it cleaned up fairly easily.

More ashes, steering column support. If you smoke, youre stupid. Stop it now.

Fustercluck of wires in the foreground is from the system I had installed.

CMC Leak, not friends with your carpet.

Florida sun, it will destroy your steering wheel.

So I think you get the idea. The car was a biohazard. The first few days is was in the garage, I had the windows of the car open, and due to the humidity being really high, the smoke smell stunk up the entire garage and a good portion of the house, it was horrible.

This however is the reality of a car that does 100+ miles a day taking 1.5 hours each way, being neglected. I considered this car my "beater" that was fun to drive.

Next up? Sound deadening removal!

Post 001: You are here.
Post 002: Sound Deadening Removal
Post 003: Side molding removal
Post 004: Cheap JDM Goodness and a new toy!
Post 005: Shaved sides progress.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
holy crap thats alot of water all over the damn place and ashes and dirt and such. definitly good thing you decided to clean it up

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, sound deadening removal. I saved every bit of the tar compound taken out of the car in plastic bags, and weighed them after it was out. Total was 21 pounds, this does not include the foam/rubber mat that runs along the firewall, I have that all out and ready to weigh, just havnt gotten to it.

I used the heatgun method because I had a heat gun and a scraper. Dont use this method. Get some dry ice. This method is horrible, hard, messy, time consuming, back breaking.. Most of these pictures are after the sections were heated and scraped, but before being cleaned completely.

The white stuff is residue from the ducktape.

Did I mention this method sucks? Unless you hate yourself, get dry ice.

The only good thing about the heat gun method? The week that I did this (few hours every night after work) every night set a new record cold here. We had 10 straight days with the overnight temperature dropping below 30 with daytime highs under 50... The heatgun kept me warm!

This and the following are after a second scraping... With razor blades in one of those plastic holders made to scrape windows and such.

Next up to bat, degreaser with scotchbrite pads! Followed by shop towels to finish the cleaning.

....just realized I dont have any pictures of the individual panels since I finished cleaning, just this one. Dont mind the red fluid, I sat on my degreaser bottle and aside form soaking my ass in degreaser, broke the bottle and it went everywhere.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so shaving the side molding. I did a lot of research on this before I started it. I know, the best method is to weld the holes. I however dont own a welder. If I did, I do not possess the skills to operate said welder. I knew that just filling with bondo will crack over time. I also just read a post recently on here, someone else's build thread. Cant remember who right now, but will update this later once I remember. But they used some 3m 8116 Automix "space shuttle rated super-epoxy-resin-glue" (atleast it should be, at $60 a tube, plus whatever the gun for it costs.) not only that, but I couldnt find it. So I went to lowes to find an alternative. I ended up with a 6x24x1/8th inch piece of aluminum, a package of JB weld, and some tin snips.

Get home, find out I have enough 1/16th stainless steel to do what I need, and my dad had purchased the exact same tin snips I just purchased a few months prior to cut something out of the stainless steel that I found out I had. So I basically just let lowes borrow $30 for a few days, lol. Anyway, pics now.

This blurry pic is all I have of the side skirts on the car.

Like my "paper weight"?

I used 1.5"x1.5" squares.

Squares all cut.

Mix equal parts "Steel" (black) and Hardener (white)

A different batch mixed up. I found it works better, if you mix it, then let it sit for about an hour. It gets alot tackier, and will hold the metal against the body on its own. I just used masking tape over each piece inside to ensure it stayed in place, but im not sure that was necessary.

Piece ready to go on.

Inside the door.

A finished side molding hole, well, still needs filler.

Antenna hole closed up, with a side of clear coat failure.

I did one door hole, and the antenna hole before I made a 100% decision to go with this. After letting those two setup for the full 15 hours, and giving both of them a good beating with a screw driver. I'm convinced without a single doubt this stuff will hold the pieces together for a very long time without problems. I will get more pictures later of the finished holes on both sides. Just need to figure out how I want to fill the indention's now. Supposedly the jb weld is grindable, sandable, and paintable, but I couldnt find anything about using it as a filler. Anyone have experience with that?

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have one suggestion about filling in those holes; i did the same method but after it dried a bit instead of filling it with bondo first, i used some jbweld to fill it in...this makes it so you dont have to use a huge amount of bondo, instead youre using jbweld--essentially liquid metal. after that drys you can sand it down and then use bondo to lightly layer it! mine came out superb.

GOODLUCK!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DontPout on Jan/27/10 said:
i have one suggestion about filling in those holes; i did the same method but after it dried a bit instead of filling it with bondo first, i used some jbweld to fill it in...this makes it so you dont have to use a huge amount of bondo, instead youre using jbweld--essentially liquid metal. after that drys you can sand it down and then use bondo to lightly layer it! mine came out superb.

GOODLUCK!
This is pretty much what I was thinking about doing. I wasnt sure how it would turn out though. You have any pics of yours by chance? Does make me feel better that someone else has done it though.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, time for an update.

Last week was pretty hectic, had a death in the family and had to make an emergency trip out of state. How do you people that dont live in florida handle the cold? Went to Ohio and thought I was in the frigging arctic tundra. Anyway, onto the car.

Got some new goodies from ebay

What could it be?

Cant really tell from the pictures, but I got the whole front half of the JDM RHD console. The shifter bezel has some wear on it. Shows up more in the pictures than in person due to the flash. The main reason I bought this stuff, was the price.. The guy selling it, didnt list it very well, and it was practically buried on ebay. Found it while searching for something else. Paid a little over $100 for all of it, shipped from Japan to FL.

Also picked up a new toy. I have spent $100 renting one twice... Decided I will need one several more times in the future, so I bought one for $200...

Overkill for a honda engine huh? only $20 more than the 1-ton though...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also got a good bit done on shaving the sides, will have updated pictures of that later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
414 Posts
sorry for the late post on the side mouldings, but this is a picture of it after some fresh cheap paint.

now this is how its been holding up for 1.5-2 years

sorry i dont have any clearer pics.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
sneeedle on Feb/10/10 said:
you probably figured this out by now, but that wont' work in our lhd tegs.

i love what you're doing looks so clean. can we get some pics of the inside? and i loved that side molding idea. and more progress pics on that?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some updated pictures on the side moldings. If I had to do this again, (and the way ive done a few other parts) once you mix up the jb weld, let it sit for 2-2.5 hours.. then it turns into like play-doh and it doesnt drip.

I've gone over the holes with jb weld, sanded them down, where necessary a second top coat of jb weld (damn air bubbles), sanded it down, and then put a layer of bondo and sherwin williams rattle can primer on the bondo and bare metal, to protect them from florida humidity for now. Ive got many hours of sanding ahead of me.

As far as the console, im not even sure Im going to use it. I mainly wanted the cf piece for my climate control since well, mine broke into about 6 pieces trying to remove it, since the florida sun took its toll on it

Ill post some pictures up later of the inside, dont have any good ones, and its being used as "storage" currently lol.

Here is what every engine mount, and both rear training arm bushings looked like when the parts were removed.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
wow. you can play hot potato with what's left of that teg lol.

if you'd like a help some time or if i can stop by and see it sometime, i'm not too far from you =P

·
Registered
432 Posts
Surprised no one has had anything negative to say about JB welding plates to the rears of the panels to shave the holes... I may end up doing this. That's a good idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts