Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So in an attempt to restore my teg after letting it sit two years.....I bought a new battery and put it on. When I did, the battery light on the dash stayed on. It was really weird because even with the car on, it would still try to do the "beep beep beep" noises for when the key is in with the door open. Anyway, I got it moving and the beeping went away. Then I was turning on the heat and the ac to see how that was holding up and the battery light went away......but then I saw smoke coming out from under the hood. The smoke had a smell, but it wasn't coolant or oil (thank god). And when I looked, or tried to at least, it looked like it was coming from the alternator area. It was in the general area between where the brake fluid goes and the belts. Is it possible I fried the alternator? TBH I've had this car for 10 years and I've never replaced it, it's a 94 LS sedan.

I'm just looking for possible starting points here because I am just lost. And apparently in those two years I let it sit, I've become stupid with cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the easiest way to see if you have a bad alternator is to... while the car is on and running, disconnect the negative battery terminal cable, if the car sputters and turns off, the alternator is bad, if it stays on, the alternator should be good, but if it’s smoking and making a smell id just go to pick n pull or autozone and grab a new one, hope i can help

·
Registered
15 Posts
not sure if you figured it out, but when my alternator went out i took a multi-meter and checked when it was running the battery was around 11v and after i got the alternator rebuilt it was around 13.4v i could be wrong but its around there, battery light also went out after rebuilt alternator

1 - 3 of 3 Posts