Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking bout buying some rotors.. i dont know what brand to get or anything like that. i just want to know the difference in the two. slotted or drilled. which is better and why. thanks..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
well some people say slotting and drilling doesnt even do anything but of course that's debatable, for reliability reasons i would go with slotted because they won't crack or bend, if you do buy drilled rotors buy them like that from the manufacture not from sone schmuck with a drill press, a lot of people buy brembo blanks and drill and slot them themselves that's where your going to run into problems, i strongly suggest brembo unless you have the money for wilwood

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You don't need either unless you track your car. They are both designed to reduce brake fade from extended periods of hard braking. They're just bling bling factor otherwise.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
actually i noticed a difference in pad wear - less now than before-- i got powerstop cross drilled-- factory drilled, but power stop does make them slotted and BOTH slotted and drilled--
these are tottally bolt an and need no mod to the caliper at all--- love it

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Dual slotted/drilled = super blingalicious

Cross drilled usually increases initial bite, so they may "feel" better on the butt analysis. Some people are satisfied with that however.

Slotted is my choice for a track car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can say yes to that analysis, I had them and the initial bite is great. if you use a good enough pad with
a SOLID NoN WARPED stock rotor you will be pleased no doubt. I will only use my slots when I want to run hard, for daily you will DUST alot with the slots for very little benefit and your pads will go BYE BYE in about 12K

if you like real brakes, forget the stock GSR hardware and go here:

www.fastbrakes.com and look at the spec r 5lug redrilled disks, you will have stock 11" rotors and still use 15" rims... and have the biggest single piston calipers that honda makes. it takes a bit of doing but you get a 40% larger pad surface and THAT sir makes your eyes bug out.
ask me how I know?! my friend did this to his GSR. they are prelude/accord wagon/v6/ITR/CTR brake rotors/calipers
with larger vented disks. he ran the stock pads for about 3K and then went to the Axxis ultimates up front. 70 for the pads up front, 380 for the stock pads, redrilled for 100x4 (not slotted) stock rotors and used calipers. all you need to do is grind/machine the rear caliper bracket and voila'

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so with some slotted rotors it will be good to upgrade pads??? what is suggested??? i live on a back road that has lots of curves on them.. so normally i drive my car hard around turns.. thats why i am wondering about this.. cuz its not going to be just normal driving.. its a normal car.. just normal power also... but i like to drive it hard and fast around these turns.. if that makes any sence.......

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Regular rotors will be fine. If you want to increase braking power get a bigger/stronger caliper and bigger disc. Fancy slotting/drilling patterns were designed to reduce brake temperatures from lapping around a track for 20-30 minutes at a time. Like MikeSarr pointed out, the Type R brakes are bigger with more pad area, that's what makes you stop faster.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I know this may seem like a dumb question but since I'm gonna need some new rotors soon (stock ones can't be resurfaced anymore) I was just wondering if slotted rotors can be resurfaced at all and is pad wear really that bad as previously stated?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Are Autozone Blanks Blingalicious? Probably not but they get the job done! Gonna hook my friend up w/ installation of them becuase his drilled rotors are warped...

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
is the AEM big brake kit more suitable for daily drving and sometimes AutoX and Road racing?, i'm looking into four wheel disk brakes and these are on my list, just need more info

·
Registered
172 Posts
I vote for Slotted. I had the a set made by PowerSlot on my 94 and was extremely happy. I also installed the AEM pads that are tan in color. The advantages of using slotted is they are not as likely to wrap or crack and the brake fad is less. This is more noticable if you drive winding country roads every day back and forth to work. The AEM pads gave better grab on the rotors and becuase they are tan/beige in color the dust does not show up as bad on your wheels. Just my own opinion.

You do need to be careful regarding the pads you get. You do not want to get racing pads for your daily ride as these require higher temperatures to function properly. If the pads are cold you will actually have worst braking then before the install. That is the one of reasons you see race drivers weave their car back and forth. They are heating up the pads and the tires.

BTW, I know that slotted rotors can be turned but expect to pay more as it takes a more experienced machinists to do this correctly.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i just wanna get the cross drilled pseudo brake rotors that hide your real rusty brakes... super blingalicious

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
ok, i gotta question, since someone brought this thread up. Lately i been thinkin about getting some drilled rotors up front. I need to know which will be better up front, drilled, slotted, or drilled/slotted. My rotors are 2 months old, theyre autozone blanks, and theyve already warped. I had this problem on my last car as well. If anyone has a suggestion id appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
crash on Mar/13/03 said:
I was just wondering if slotted rotors can be resurfaced at all and is pad wear really that bad as previously stated?
No, with slotted/cross-drilled once the rotor is warped they are finished. Time to bust out the big bucks for some new ones.

How are you warping your autozone blanks so quick? Mine have been through road course events and a couple months of daily driving and they are still in perfect condition. Those road course events put those rotors through more use than a daily driver would in years. Are you using old pads with the new rotors? Are you bedding in new pads properly?

If you're doing something to warp the blanks that fast, you're going to warp your fancy Powerslots just as quick. only problem is an autozone blank will cost you $20 while a Powerslot rotor will be like $80.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts