Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 95 obd1 acura gs-r. I am about to buy skunk2 valve springs,skunk2 retainers,skunk2 stage 1 cams. I want to run 9K redline. my question ? This is good stuff right? or do you think something else would be better? My motor now is b18c1 block new stock crank,new berrings eagle h beam rods,race engineering block guard bored 20over, je pistons 11:1 , stock head gasket. 0.5 ferrea stainless valves,3 angle valve job,stock spring,stock retainer,stock cams. will it be good the skunk2 products to run 9K rpm smoothly?
will stock cams make power at 9K or drop off at 8100rpms? Thank you........

Integra for life..

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
stock cams will lose breath after redline. maybe even sooner. skunk2 stage 1s will lose breath around 8000. so revving up to 9000 rpms wouldn't be good. skunk2 stage 2 or toda spec B cams would do u well for 9K redline. the skunk2 valvesprings and retainers will keep you safe from harm with a 9K reline. but im sure you wanted MDs reply
. lets see what the man has to say....

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
here is a link to a valvespringcomparison test

but if you dont feel safe with the skunk2 valvesprings and retainers you can go for valvesprings which are stiffer such as TODA, WEB, or portflow. too stiff valvesprings will reduce power and wear out your valvetrain.

quote from MD "if the valve seat pressure exceeds the cam manufacturer's recommended pressure by 15% you run into excessive rocker, cam, and seat wear"

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
Edubb on Sep/04/02 said:
how do u measure the installed spring height?

http://www.cranecams.com/morvtfaq.htm

Quote: Originally posted on www.cranecams.com
Installed height is the dimension measured from the bottom of the valve spring retainer, where the outer valve spring locates, to the spring pocket in the cylinder head, when the valve is closed.
I believe Compcams sells an installed height gauge. Not cheap. I'd just let the shop do all that for you since they have the equipment on hand...or you can borrow/rent one I'm sure. It'd be good to rent a $700 valvespring tester also to see what your seat pressures are and later do a leakdown test on her after everything checks out installed height-wise and seat presure-wise.

Piston to valve clearances are next on your list of things to do. I like to know how much play I have with my cam gears: the absolute safe maximum to advance either cams when I dyno tune.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
MichaelDelaney
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing