Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when it come to suspension im new. Im planning on buying coilovers for my 97 integra gs. I've been looking at the skunk2 coilovers for a while and i just need some feedback. should i replace the stock shocks too if i go with these?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
of course. u just dont have to right away but it should be done eventually. skunk2 coilovers are a good choice. ive had mine for over a year and they are great. just get a camber adjustment kit for the front so u dont eat up your tires. good luck.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
good choice... i had my skunk2's for over 3 years! i loved them! until i wrecked my car!
as for putting in new shocks... hmm.. if you don't know how to do it yourself... then.. i would be better to do it all at once... that's what i thin though..
cuz you don't have to pay for the same labor twice.. hehehe..

·
Registered
147 Posts
they pretty good, but ive found that the spring rate is a little harhs for daily driving. YOu need to mate them with some good shocks as well or you will be bouncing everywhere. I would recommend ground control over them or even better the full tein coilovers. by all means a good choice though for quality

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
hey good choice, i got mine for about 3 years now and i love them. I also got a set of tokico illum shocks 5way adjustment to go with it and the 2 together are great the car is stiff but not too stiff. i mean it holds its stance and i also know there are many other members with the same setup.. also keep in mind we are in an area in which we get the white stuff from the sky and the coilovers are the best to lower or raise the ride and the rings to this day i havent had any issues with winters. i take my car in before the first snowfall and get her rust proffed its and oil type cleans up easy when summer time comes and that keeps the rings lubed and protected. if u need any info ill be glade to help out..

·
Registered
600 Posts
i have skunk 2 waiting to be installed, but will tokico illuminas handle the stiiffness on coilovers? or should i save more to get the koni yellows?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
dennis2 on Mar/21/04 said:
i have the same set up also skunk2 and illuminas and a skunk2 camber kit as well. i have no complaint so far
I've got the same setup here on my car without the camber kit- no complaints either. My g/fs teg however has the stock shocks with Skunk 2 coilovers. She hasn't had any problems over the past year with her setup either.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Id go with some nice replacement shocks at the same time. The spring rates on the Skunk2 springs are pretty high for the OEM shocks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
jair-vtec-gsr on Mar/21/04 said:
i have skunk 2 waiting to be installed, but will tokico illuminas handle the stiiffness on coilovers? or should i save more to get the koni yellows?
illuminas are ok with skunk2, but i think koni yellows are better

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had Sunkworks original coilovers on for over three years now. I went with the Civic spring rates so that my ride wasn't jarring. (400 front/300 rear). Still using stock dampers. The key is not dropping below the bottom out level of your damper. People complain about blowing out their shocks with coilovers and that's because they drop the car to some gawd-awful low level that the shocks cannot handle. The shock needs room to travel to dampen the springs. If you go too low, you'll lower the shock into its compressed stage to begin with. This leaves very little room for it to move and absorb/dampen the spring. This effectively means you've "bottomed out the suspension". Your shocks basically become a steel rod when they strike the bottom of their range, causing a bone jarring ride, poor handling, and "blowing out" of the damper.

That being said, I've put about 150,000 miles on my springs and shocks since the install (which I did myself), and no worries. The dampers catch the car on the first compression strock...no bouncing around for me. BTW, the shocks are still the originals from 1992 and have 273,000 miles on them now.

Be smart and don't drop your car more than about 1.5-1.75 inches and you'll not need the dampers yet. If you want to slam it, get shorter shocks now and save yourself the time and headaches down the road.

·
Registered
218 Posts
what is the spring rate on the ground controls? and the skunk 2s

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey thanks a lot to every1.
im planning to go for the skunk2s and im planning on buying shocks. Koni yellows or tokico illuminas ??
Im really bad at this ...

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
so you want coilover sleeves? When you wanna go real coilovers look around, there are alot better choices out there.

BTW this subject has been discussed once or twice or 200 times. But I wouldn't know unless i'd have searched.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
lenguaso on Mar/25/04 said:
so you want coilover sleeves? When you wanna go real coilovers look around, there are alot better choices out there.

BTW this subject has been discussed once or twice or 200 times. But I wouldn't know unless i'd have searched.
now now lenguaso...the search function is very very complicated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got Skunk2 coilovers and illiminias on my GSR sedan and I think that the skunk2's are too stiff compared to the stock springs. I believe that the skunk2 are just about the stiffest coilover sleeves out there. (about 700lb rating)

I say that the springs are too stiff because the car feels too light to put enough weight on the springs to make it feel grounded or balanced...when I've got 3 more passengers in the car (more weight), the handling balance is very much better, then the car really feels planted to the road.

If I had to do it over again, i'd go with the softer ground control sleeves (which I believe is about 450lb rating) with koni shocks. The ground controls are almost twice the stiffness of the stock 250lb rate and thats all u really need for street use.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
ldvknight on Mar/25/04 said:
I've got Skunk2 coilovers and illiminias on my GSR sedan and I think that the skunk2's are too stiff compared to the stock springs. I believe that the skunk2 are just about the stiffest coilover sleeves out there. (about 700lb rating)

I say that the springs are too stiff because the car feels too light to put enough weight on the springs to make it feel grounded or balanced...when I've got 3 more passengers in the car (more weight), the handling balance is very much better, then the car really feels planted to the road.

If I had to do it over again, i'd go with the softer ground control sleeves (which I believe is about 450lb rating) with koni shocks. The ground controls are almost twice the stiffness of the stock 250lb rate and thats all u really need for street use.
The spring rate is 500/400. Nowhere near 700. And adding more weight is not going to make the car handle better. It will help with high speed stability, but not turning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts