Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also once owned a Matrix shifter. But I learned my leason on that one. Don't be cheap, spring for good quality.

I convinced my girlfriend to pick up a skunk2 shifter, and shift knob for my X-mas present this year. At this time, I already had a B&M shifter installed in my GSR and have been using it for a little over a year.

one of my main concerns for wanting to try the S2 is my driving position, and shifter rattle. At 5'11", I'm not exactly very tall, but an average height. This is a daily driven car, and I like to have the seat pretty far back on the sliders with a slight recline. I also like to have the wheel as low as possible. When driving in this position, the B&M would be out of reach in 5th gear. So while driving, I would have to lean up to get my fingers around the knob. (stock knob at this point) So my seating position would have to be pretty far forward, and this caused me to have to wrap my legs around the wheel to get comfortable. I couldn't stretch out. Also, when utilizing what little cup holder that we have with a medium sized drink. (<even worse if you have a cd player in a dask kit) The shifter would push on the drink popping the lid off or crushing the styrofoam.

Installing advice on either...
Well, the two bolts that hold the ball joint in my car don't stay for crap. To make this easy and possible to do by yourself, I'd recommend spot welding the top of the bolt to the medal plate. It's not suppose to move any ways. If you're like me, and don't exacly have a welder, then a little JB weld works well.

Pay attention to where the spacers at on your factory shifter. Also, don't bend the factory linkage. IF there's space, use washers.

You can adjust how much effort is used and the feel of the shift by tightening the bold that attaches the shifter to the shift linkage. I like my medium to loose, but make sure it's not too loose. I'd hate to for it to come off the linkage driving down the road.

A lot of people have to take off there heat shield. It's fairly common for aftermarket shifters to be longer from the ball joint to the bolt. I'd say it's the main reason for a shorter shift. Obviously.

There's a huge chance you'll still get a rattling sound when normally cruising the interstate in 5th. All metal has a resonant frequency, which causes the metal to vibrate fiercely causeing the noise. (A great benefit to carbon fiber driveshafts!) Well, what do you use to kill resonance in cars, or anything else for that matter. Sound deadening. But tightly rapping electrical tape around the shifter above the ball joint reduces if not solves the rattling of the shifter.

-Finally my thoughts between the two and the differences from what was discussed above and between the two.

Installing them are similar to any other shifter to the car. Make sure you haven't already sold off your stock shifter if you just bought a B&M. (Same for the Matrix that I gave away) You need the factory bearing from inside. Just tap em out with a rubber mallet.

The S2 scores a point here. They come with bearings already installed. Also with brand new spacers and mounting hardware. The bolt is an Allen head and uses a lock nut. This in itself is a nice little bonus. Most people don't have a hydrolic lift at their house so space to work in is limited. The allen head provides a sure grip.

-Finish
The B&M I owned was polished silver. It was really good about hiding scratches. It adds a little flair to the interior with the shift boot down, but still allows you to attach the shift boot without any problems. So that's a point for B&M.

The S2 is a gunmetal...titanium color. I don't remember what exactly it is, but I love it to death. It's more my style. Unfortunately, It scratches easily. I've even scratched it with the plastic hole on the shift boot. You can also forget about using the shift boot up. Putting the car into reverse will pull it away from the shifter. You could always rig something up. But that would be ghetto, so don't. lol. Well, minus one for the s2.

-Engagement

I do have the skunk2 shift knob, so that adds to the S2 feel. But IMO the difference between the 2 is like night and day. I really wasn't expecting much of anything. The S2 reads your mind and slides into gear before you even realize that you shifted into gear. They both drastically reduce travel. I'm not sure which one is the shortest, so obviously is not enough to matter. I use to find my self concentrating on 2-3 shift or than my launch when drag racing with the B&M. It took more effort to find each gears home.

-Driving position

The S2 dominates here. There's probably about 3-4 inches from my medium cokes now! 5th gear is in the palm of my hand, too! Even with the seat ALL the way back.

-Height

The B&M is about an inch lower than the S2. If the height is a big deal for you, look into the DC sports shifter. I remember seeing a pic of it in a car. It looks freakin sweet, too, being rediculously low.

-Rattle

Very rarely do I get any rattle with the s2. Maybe 3-4 noticable times since x-mas. It was an every trip ordeal with the b&m.

-Conclusion

They're both awesome shifters! I'm going to keep my s2 though. It suits my driving style and tastes. Also solving my only problems with the B&M. Now...someone buy my B&M shifter!!!

My next time to positive shift engagement are bushings. So experience with the different brands would be appreciated.

Add to my review with any shifters that you have experience with.

Opinions?

Kermit

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive comparison. I think you missed one important point, though: isn't the B&M like 2/3 of the price of the S2?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off of www.nopi.com you can purchase either. You can find them cheaper, but nopi is the only one I remember carring both, so that gives you an idea on how much difference in price there is.

B&M $45.38

Skunk2 $99.62

B&M also has a race package for 143.18 that includes new bushings! YEAH!!!

I need to lower the price on my shifter for sale.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey, I was wondering, I have the B&M and it rattled in every gear around 3 to 4 thousand rpm did yours ever do that? I seemed to have solved it by putting a small sheet of dynamat i had but god its annoying.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rjride1020 on Feb/12/04 said:
Hey, I was wondering, I have the B&M and it rattled in every gear around 3 to 4 thousand rpm did yours ever do that? I seemed to have solved it by putting a small sheet of dynamat i had but god its annoying.
Do you still have your heatshield? That sounds more like your engine's rotating under acceleration causing the exhaust to rattle against the shifter. Get under your car and see if there are any spots on the exhaust where they are hitting.

I just saw were you said you think you solved it. Must have just been the resonance of the shifter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently installed the skunk2 in my car. The bolt that was included with the shifter (that connects the shifter to the linkage) seemed to have too many washers and spacers and stuff on it. It wouldn't fit with everything on it so i left some stuff off. It doesn't seem to make a difference, but since i saw this thread i was wondering if anyone else experienced this also, or could tell me if any of those parts are important?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My shift linkage did seem to be a little bent in from to much torque or something. I had to bend it back perfectly straight to get everything to fit correctly. I think this has a lot to do with the S2 sliding into gear smoothly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
very informative post! thanks a ton.
one question though... is there NO way to get the boot to attach to any shifter knob if I use the skunk2 SS? That was going to be among my next upgrades, but I hate the way it looks when the boot just hangs there...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ummmmm, you'd have to figure something out. You could do it where it looks good, but you'll have to be imaginative. Really something as simple as a black string could work. The boot's to short only by about a half an inch. They really do make it easy to figure something out buy using a lock nut on the bottom of the s2 knob. Good luck with it though and thanks for the props on the post.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Greg that's cool!

Jeremy, It's about 1-2" shorter in length. Here's the description of the one that I have. "Short Throw Shifter - 28% Throw Reduction - accepts Stock Knob - Counter Weighted". Any other questions concerning purchase, please contact me through PM or email.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a question I just bought my 2000 GSR and it has a skunk2 short shifter. When i slow down and try and put it in 1st I cant, I have to stop completely before I can put it in first. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
that has to do with your transmission, not the shifter. and yes its normal. everyone has to wait, but some reason i dont? i just had the tranny rebuilt and i can go into first at 20+ i just have to double clutch and rev match it. but i think most people have that problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.