Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going for an all motor car and i just got a new 70mm throttle body and want to get a new intake manifold, but i'm not sure which one i should get. I've heard good things about the skunk2 and i'm not actually even sure if the stock type-r manifold will fit my gsr head(I've heard yes and no from different people i've talked). Also, i waited to get an intake until i got the throttle body because i wasn't sure if the intakes made for stock gsr's would fit the bigger TB. Will they fit or do i need a bigger one somehow?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Get an intake for a Type R application and it will fit with the new manifold and be sized well.

Looking at pictures of the GS-R and Type R head comparing where the intake manifold bolts up it looks to me that will not bolt right on. I'm not sure on that though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Justin3 on 15/June/2002 said:
I'm going for an all motor car and i just got a new 70mm throttle body and want to get a new intake manifold, but i'm not sure which one i should get. I've heard good things about the skunk2 and i'm not actually even sure if the stock type-r manifold will fit my gsr head(I've heard yes and no from different people i've talked). Also, i waited to get an intake until i got the throttle body because i wasn't sure if the intakes made for stock gsr's would fit the bigger TB. Will they fit or do i need a bigger one somehow?
The ITR IM does not bolt up to the GSR engine. That is why Skunk2 came out with that manifold. :D I am looking into getting one also.....anyone know the size of the inlet? BTW what kinda TB you get?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the coolant ducts and center flange hole do not line up for the ITR IM and the GSR head. Secondly, the GSR intake ports are taller...there is a more direct angle or shot into the combustion chamber and so the port on the ITR IM flange has to be aligned in such a way that it spits the difference in height between the 2 intake port heights.Apparently there is no vacuum leak when you split the difference.

Anyway, you can have a reputable machine shop weld shut the coolant ducts on the ITR IM or have them weld on material and reshape the ducts into the same alignment as the GSR head coolant ducts. The flange bolt holes can be slotted so they line up by the machine shop as well. Obviously they would need the head to align everything.

So by the time you cost out the ITR IM and machine shop work, is it cheaper than a Skunk2 IM?... depends on your machine shop and where you got your ITR IM...but in most cases probably not...certainly much more hassle for the average owner with no ties to machine shop work...

you need to get the Helms manual and look at the comparative IM's since the Skunk2 and ITR IMs needs you to buy an ITR throttle cable, cable bracket, new injector O-rings, GSR manifold gasket/TB gasket, and an ITR compatible intake.

You probably have a tapered 70mm TB since a true 70 mm TB on an N/A setup is way too big. If so, what is the diameter at the IM end of the TB? Some taper from 70->62 mm like a stock ITR TB, some taper from 70 -> 64mm, and some taper from 70->66-68 mm like Erick's TB's.....in which case you have to cut the TB gasket opening to the same diameter,...the Skunk2 and ITR IM port on the plenum which mates to the TB is 64mm in diameter. So if your TB diameter is larger than 64mm you must increase the diameter on the IM plenum port as well (called port matching).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The throttle body is tapered down to 62mm. Its a spoonsports TB which the guy at the shop assured me would fit even the gsr IM if i decided not to change it.Was he right or should i get a different one? It came with a gasket that fit the diameter of the TB, but do would i need to cut it to fit the new IM. I'm probably going to go with the skunk2 unless all the machining with the itr would be more beneficial. Also, what is the easiest place to get the throttle cables, brackets, and gaskets. The dealer?Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
there's a couple of retailers of honda oem parts on the net like A&H and H&D but your local parts dept at acura should be able to get the parts....

if you get the itr IM or skunk2 im the plenum port that mates up to the TB is 64mm. Just line up everything to see if you need to cut the opening on the gasket larger...tape it on...use a sharp scibe or needle and trace the opening carefully..get a sharpened pair of scissors and snip snip...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what kind of gains am i looking at from all this? Anyone done it to their gsr? I saw the quoted gains by skunk2, aem(and the like), but i was interested in the real gains. I know i don't have cams yet or anything but those are coming. I was just wondering about the gains from the intake, TB, and IM alone(if any noticeable gains are there).

Thanks again, this site is awesome

·
Registered
586 Posts
Michael Delaney on Jun/16/02 said:
you need to get the Helms manual and look at the comparative IM's since the Skunk2 and ITR IMs needs you to buy an ITR throttle cable, cable bracket, new injector O-rings, GSR manifold gasket/TB gasket, and an ITR compatible intake.
you really need to buy all these parts for the skunk2 IM to be installed correctly? How much do all these parts run??

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes,
The cable bracket,cable,and IM gasket,intake, are a must. The injector o-rings are highly suggested by not only MD, but every technician i've talked to and the helm's. The TB gasket is needed as well but some TB's come with one already, mine did. You definitely need all this to avoid vacuum leak problems down the road(i.e. if you don't have a tight seal between the im and head you can get the surging engine problem not to mention a loss of power probably from air leaking from the manifold and not going into the engine.

The gaskets, brackets, and cables are pretty inexpensive. The o-rings are the pain, since there are 3 different ones per injector. I think o-rings altogether were like almost 70 i think...don't quote me on that i threw out all my receipts once they were in sorry.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Question, if you have the aem cai for a gsr and you cut the pipe in the middle for the by-pass do you think with all the bends you might get it to work with the skunk2 IM??

·
Registered
306 Posts
a b16a, rs/ls/gs throttle pulley is a must if you're gonna use type r throttle cable.. otherwise u'll risk snapping the throttle cable.. it will require sum ingenuity to make it work on the gsr tb

with stock cams, all your midrange will be killed... i mean, it'll literally be gone... high end will be approx. the same

·
Registered
316 Posts
what if you have a type r intake cam... what will happen.. what kinda relistic gains.. are you looking at.. aem cai... skunk2.. type r intake cam

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
96dc2 on Feb/04/03 said:
because the intake cam usually is where power can be found. many people have upgraded just the intake cam and have seen gains.
Realize that those graphs are very misleading though. The comparison on both those graphs is stock cams with no tuning vs. ITR intake cam with cam gear tuning. If they would have shown a comparison tuned vs tuned or untuned vs untuned that would have made a real comparison and the differences would have been much smaller.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts