Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
what are some signs of bad tranny.
Seems like my car has been kept in very good condition from the previous owner and has low milage for a 95. But sometimes i can feel some jerks when accelerating and some other minor things. So just wounding if its tranny problems and what signs would be of a bad tranny.

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually hard to shift in between gears is a lead to a bad tranny...the parts that wear down on powershifitn called syncros usually go and prevent you from doin anything without grinding the gears...and eventually you grind them down to nothing!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 95 too and its sometimes very difficult to shift from 2nd to 1st gear at say 20 km/h.

Reverse gear is also a pain in the ass and even worst when the tranny is cold.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The jerks you feel are sometime because of blockage in the lifters but most likely the injectors, use a good injector cleaner (I like STP) for a few tanks of gas you should notice a differnece.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oblivion on Sep/18/02 said:
The jerks you feel are sometime because of blockage in the lifters but most likely the injectors, use a good injector cleaner (I like STP) for a few tanks of gas you should notice a differnece.
great, now i've never used any fuel injector cleaners b4 on my car, can i just add that whenever, like filling up my tank? or should i add them when i've doing my next oil change?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Kosak on Sep/18/02 said:
I have a 95 too and its sometimes very difficult to shift from 2nd to 1st gear at say 20 km/h.

Reverse gear is also a pain in the ass and even worst when the tranny is cold.
I get that every once in a while. All I do is let the clutch out and back in and it usually goes. (I think some refer to this as "double-clutching", but I don't wanna start that
)

Best way to find out if your trans is not happy is to change the fluid and run a magnet through it... if there is excessive metal in the fluid, you know you have a problem.

on another note, I think MorningZ needs to put a km/h to mph calculator on every page so us US guys can communicate with the Canadian guys better. Or maybe make an article about it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well 20 KMH is probably around 10 or so MPH and if thats the case, then I"m sure you're not alone in having trouble getting your tranny up to 1st. The only way you should be putting it into first is from a complete stop. If you want it to slide in better, rev match the car. Otherwise, you should probably avoid cramming it into that gear.

There's a lockout put in there by honda so people don't over rev their engine. There's also a lockout in reverse. I believe the manual says something like "Wait a few seconds before you try to put it into reverse because there is a lockout." So if you just had it in gear and you try to put it in reverse real fast you will probably be unsuccessful...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks
info helps alot
i might get some good quality fuel injector fluid and i should replace the tranny fluid,and get some redline MTL :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, its in my future plan to change the manual transmisson fluid and try the magnet thing.

Yeah 20 kmh is about 10mph or better 12 mph.
I had to do the math like very often in Gran Turismo 2 so I can get a better idea cuz im much more used to kmh.

Im happy to learn that its a lockout that prevent me to downshift in first and not a tranny problem !

So ill stay in second, dreamin of a closer ratio tranny like the gsr or better the R.

For the lockout in reverse gear .. I dont think its the problem. Its a pain in the ass to engage the reverse gear in a complete stop situation ! I asked my local garagist and he say thats cuz reverse does not have any sincronizer and is more difficult to engage because it got a square inlet design.

Ok maybe reverse does'nt have any sinconizer so it have to be engage in a complete stop situation but im positivly sure Acura havent make it that HARD and painfull so it make me angry anytime I want to go backward. ( TABARNAC !
)

But, i found a way to engage the reverse without breakin my shift stick. I put my shifter near the reverse inlet point and hold it there with some force while I slowly release the clutch. And just before it start grinding it engage. But sometimes I miss it and it make a loud grinding noise. This noise is so, is sooo irritable that if I got to see someone on the road makin fun of me cuz I miss shifted the reverse, it would be like GOURRANGA !! LOL JK

I also want to buy some Redline MTF !! But cant find it in Canada.

Anyone that got tranny problem, let me know !

Kosak

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea the reverse pisses me off too, ive grinded a coulpe of times since i didn't put it into reverse on a complete stop

and MTF , i think acura dealerships carry it or try somethin like canadian tire.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Conversion:

MPH=miles per hour
KPH=kilometers per hour

MPH to KPH= multiply the mph by 1.61 to get KPH
KPH to MPH= multiply the kph by 0.62 to get MPH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is stubborn going into reverse some mornings as well. This is what a tractor trailer guy told me and it works 100% of the time for me. Put it in first and start letting the clutch out until it engages. Then put the clutch back in and it'll slip right into reverse.

Hope it helps for you. It works for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ravi2002 on Sep/18/02 said:
yea the reverse pisses me off too, ive grinded a coulpe of times since i didn't put it into reverse on a complete stop

and MTF , i think acura dealerships carry it or try somethin like canadian tire.
this is something that should not be done. it puts alot of stress on the tranny. you should always be at a complete stop when shifting into reverse.

·
Registered
112 Posts
insane on Sep/18/02 said:
Mine is stubborn going into reverse some mornings as well. This is what a tractor trailer guy told me and it works 100% of the time for me. Put it in first and start letting the clutch out until it engages. Then put the clutch back in and it'll slip right into reverse.

Hope it helps for you. It works for me.

Cheers
Yeah ive already tried this and found it doesnt work that much for me. Sometimes it help but most of the time it do nothing. So when it dont want to engage, I "slam" it quick and hard and most of the times it work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Downshift from 2nd to 1st at 20kph? Tell me how , cos on my JDM SiR(GSR) this is impossible as much force as I put to it.Besides why would you wanna downshift to 1st? (unless your racing). Tegs don't have any problem with 2nd even at idle rpm.
I can do it with other cars but not with my teg.
Seems to me that you hurt your tranny downshifting to 1st at 20kph.
I've also noticed that downshifting to 1st just before the car comes to a stop (still braking) it engages more smoothly.
My reverse is a bit hard to engage too. Double clutching seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ok the only reason for downshiffting from first to second that i can see is if you are autocrossing. and to be able to do this safley you really need to learn how to rev match it just right. if you do this correctly it should engage no problem.

and do everyone stating they have a hard time getting into reverse, this is because tegs have a reverse lock. (not really sure of the real name) this is to prevent people from shifting into reverse when they are actually trying to shift into 4th, and also so they dont shift into reverse while the car is still moving. it is based on time. so for people that are pumping the clutch or shiffting into other gears all your really doing is doing this process until the right time lets you engage into reverse. just wait about 4 or 5 seconds and you will get the same result.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey guys for the reverse, try this...

Okay, if it doesnt want to go in reverse the FIRST time, put it in neutral, disengage the clutch, then engage it agian and then try to put it in reverse, works everytime for me! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blaxican707 on Sep/19/02 said:
Hey guys for the reverse, try this...

Okay, if it doesnt want to go in reverse the FIRST time, put it in neutral, disengage the clutch, then engage it agian and then try to put it in reverse, works everytime for me! Hope this helps.
OR u can move the shifter around from 3rd to fourth pressing clutch and then reverse, that also works great!

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it doesn't go in reverse the first time, all you have to do is go forward a little bit and then put it back in reverse, and it should work everytime.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts