Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got "tricked" into swapping out my GSR tranny for an LS tranny. The tranny was bad (had a grind in 3rd) so the shop apologized and said they would get me another tranny.

They offered to give me an Si tranny because they have one in their shop. Would an Si tranny be good for a GSR?

Info on transmissions:
GSR Si
1st 3.2303.230
2nd 1.9002.105
3rd 1.3601.458
4th 1.0341.107
5th 0.7870.848
FD4.4004.400

So, it looks like 1st gear will be the same, but the rest of the gears will be a LOT shorter. That means lower top speed, poor gas mileage, and more wear on the motor.

Right now I just have some basic bolt-ons, 75 shot wet nitrous and a racing clutch. If I were to go turbo I think those gear rations would be way to high.

Are those gear ratios too high? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Should I do the swap or should I just wait until they can find a GSR tranny.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Integra type-r:

1st 3.230
2nd 2.105
3rd 1.458
4th 1.107
5th 0.848
Reverse 3.000
Final Drive 4.400

Basically it has the same ratios as an Integra Type-R
So... You would be quick as hell, but you would lose some gas mileage. The SI tranny, if I remember right... Is not a Hydraulic transmission, but a cable transmission. As far as performance goes... I have no idea what the differences in clutch feel and speed would be, but I would guess you could shift faster with a cable tranny.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone tell me more about the difference between cable transmissions and hydralaulic transmissions (advan./disadvan.)??

I think I'm going to go ahead with the swap because I'm a little anxious to get this POS LS tranny out of my car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am guessing that this SI trans is from a newer civc like 2000. If I am correct about that then it is a hydro clutch therefore it is a hydro trans.

edit: he beat me too it while i was searching. I guess i type to slow. lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
my box on my clutchmasters set for my 94 ls said "94-99 integra ls & civic si 98-99"

if that helps

·
Registered
238 Posts
Any follow ups?
My tranny cracked and I have a civic Si tranny almost in my possession.
Any links and or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
Si tranny's own ... esp if your powerband is similiar to the SI's or Type-R's. I'd swap out the 5th gear for a taller gear though ... just because I don't really race in 5th, and don't particularly care about the gap between 4th and 5th gears. Good luck with your install

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It's a B-Series Tranny, it will bolt in directly as long as it is still a hydro tranny. A Si tranny is an ITR tranny minus the LSD. OBX sells Honda LSDs for cheaper than Honda will sell them. Contact StyleTEG about the LSD if you are interested.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i did this swap and it does increase the quickness of your car quite a bit, i have only intake and exhaust and it wasa night and day difference, the down side is gas mileage. with my stock gsr tranny i could and have gotten upwards of 40mpg on long trips steady at 75mph. with the b16tranny on the other hand 31mpg at 75 is about the best ive ever done. with mixed highway and city driving over the summer ive averaged between 24-27mpg every fill up depending on how hard i drove the car, which for me i see redline once a weeek if that. teh gas mileage isnt too bad but honestly thats the only small downside ive noticed with it.you can definately surprise some people with the new tranny.

·
Registered
820 Posts
only thing I can say about it is if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving, then you'll want to think about noise and rpm. I have a gsr trans in my LS and I have just a muffler and it's kinda noisy rollin around 4k at 80mph. An SI trans will be aroun 4.5k at 80 ouchies!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a JDM Y21 LSD tranny on my gsr swapped hatch. Like it was said above it has the same gearing as an ITR. It was great off the line but it revveed kind of high on the highway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
heh I'll just use sound dampening on the interior, but Still need to know if the LS vehicle speed sensor work with the Si tranny.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Okay first off, MOST people choose to get the SI/ITR tranny for track purposes because of the short gearing. If that's your plan and you're worrying about high revving in 5th gear, youre heading down the wrong path. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet on things and just take in the fact that you will rev higher. And about the gas mileage aspect of it, gas mileage is weird, but if you stay at a constant rpm on the freeway, your mileage should still be around 25-30mpg regardless of your revs being at 4500. I'm at 4000 rpm at 80 on the freeway and if I don't constantly change revs, I have NEVER had an abnormal decrease in fuel economy. When modifying cars, you cant have everything, there is always something that you have to sacrafice in order to acheive something else.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts