Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I have this issue with a 91 Integra LS I own... It has a few performance mods, and it runs real smooth and good(can't tell its high miles), but its got some problems... needs new rack & pinion & hoses for power steering leaks, needs brake stuff which i could do myslef and save some money...but then it seems to have an oil leak source unknown. ITs got 180k miles, so of course i expect some problems... so should i put like $200 into brakes, $180 into some new front tires and who knows how much ($600, $800?) into power steering.... when this oil leak could be something serious like needs new engine or something? Basically, I got the oil changed a few weeks ago and it is already below min level, so that is the speed of the leak. (the PS empties in 24 hours!)

It books for $2900 in good condition which it is not... but I don't feel confortable scamming someone to sell it without telling them the problems... so should i keep putting money into fixing it or sell it for $1800 or waht? I don't exactly have enough to buy a newer better car, but would be willing to put in $1000 to keep this thing going.

Should I pay to get inspection and see what oil leak is from?

Ack.. what would you do?

·
Registered
206 Posts
the oil plug on your oilpan might be sweating? that could possibley be why you are losing oil, but that might be a stretch for that much lost oil. Do you notice pools of oil on the ground?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Fix it. You wont regret it. Those are good suggestions up there as to what the leaking problem could be. Damn that's alot of oil.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i agree fully with soon2bvtec92, i removed my power steering and my car works great, power steering can cause ur car 2 pull under hard acceleration like turbo boost 4 instance but my motor is not modified and removing the power steering not only made the car more stable but it freed up some extra ponies
, check out my car and listen 2 soon2bvtec92, his motor swap is phat! and i say keep ur car as long as it's not an automatic

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well I have G3 teg, but I always liked G2 tegs. If I didn't have much money, I would probaly get G2 teg and restore it and hook it up. Since your limited in funds, I would defenatly keep your teg and fix it up untill you can get a newer car. So keep it, fix it and enjoy it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
That's not a puddle of oil... it's sweat from all that horse power!

·
Registered
208 Posts
freeride on Aug/20/02 said:
i agree fully with soon2bvtec92, i removed my power steering and my car works great, power steering can cause ur car 2 pull under hard acceleration like turbo boost 4 instance but my motor is not modified and removing the power steering not only made the car more stable but it freed up some extra ponies
, check out my car and listen 2 soon2bvtec92, his motor swap is phat! and i say keep ur car as long as it's not an automatic
thanks for the nice comments

·
Registered
21 Posts
When you guys took out your power stearing how was the streetability\daily driving around town afected. is it worth it

·
Registered
162 Posts
if theres oil splattering all over the bottom of your tranny and block.. it could be a very costly item to fix... the rear main seal on the crankshaft. you have to drop the tranny to fix that. but its like $25 for the seal at the acura dealer and you can try doing it at home.

hopefully its just the oil pan bolts are loose, check and change the bolts and gasket.. 180k miles.. whew.. im at 152k.. don't forget to change your timing belt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At the risk of looking stupid, I will post what was up with the oil: first I saw amber leaks on the ground and I knew that was the PS fluid... but I also saw an oil spot... so I went into this thinking it was leaking oil. Then I misread the oil gauge - I was used to how it looked on my other car where the stick is textured to hold the oil better..... so I was looking at the top of the dark bead to read the level and failed to notice the thin coat above that indicated oil level was at max level.

Then I put a quart in (overfilled) and began having second thoughts about the stick reading...and of course then discovered I had overfilled, so I had to then drain a quart out to get it back to normal.

Thanks for all the good advice though, now I know what to look at fixing if I ever have a nasty oil leak!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And in regard to the power steering:

If you fill it to max fill level, it will drain to below the minimum level within 24 hours. As mentioned this was diagnosed as the rack and pinion leaking out one side and also the return hose.

But the funny thing is the power steering runs GREAT for WEEKS at a time leaving it at just below the minimum level: no squeeking or going out... and it also stops leaking badly at this point. So instead of spending like $700-$1000 on new rack and hose and labor on a car that could die soon, or removing the PS altogether... I am just going to keep the fluid at this "sweet spot" of functional and not leaky, and just refill fluid to min level every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea on my old oldsmobile wagon, i was dumping oil like crazy, i have a huge oil stain on my driveway now. i just went underneath with a socket set and tightened every bolt i could see arond the oil pan and the tranny and stuff. it worked.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I say keep it and fix it. If your going to sell it, at least fix the major problems and leave the minor problems, b/c if i bought a car and found out that it had many problems, first i'd be pissed and second i'd kick myself for not saving up money to buy a newer one.

just me 10 cents!

93-TeG

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha... yes, tis quite old, but I am still around. I still have the teg, and it has been running great! I'm almost up to 195k now, and the "major" repair I have had to do is new alternator... and then I learned how to do a lot of routine maintanance myself.Did my own breaks, tranny fluid change, spark plugs/ignition wires/distributor rotor, oil changes, etc.I will probably run this car into the ground until it dies, and then buy a newer honda or acura, as they are such great cars. And if I still don't have enough money, I will do a b20 swap!

So in short, I am glad I decided to keep this car - you would not believe how hard you can drive this thing and how smooth it is for such high miles.

·
Registered
647 Posts
glad to hear you kept it. I think we make these problems seem so much bigger in our heads than they really are. The best thing to do is as soon as something breaks fix it. That way you don't have a whole bunch of little problems that now seem like a big problem.

·
Registered
346 Posts
did you take off the power steering or keep it on? i had to get rid of mine when i put the H22 in my civ, it was hard at first, but i got use to it... its missed tho

1 - 20 of 24 Posts