Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am stuck with the decision... She is a beauty, super clear with a few (not many) physical blemishes and I absolutely love her. But she was stolen a few weeks back and recovered the same day, the only thing bad at the time was they stole the AEM EMS and now it'll have a salvaged title from FL because of theft. I purchased a used AEM EMS v2, but it turns out that it was modified for use with a Scion TC and apparently it won't work on the teg. The motor was rebuilt last year but the compression in cylinders 2 and 4 are at 80psi so I'm assuming they had one hell of a joy ride. There is well over 30k worth of work done to the car and boosting 26psi on a fully built motor and a Full JDM interior (9 out of 10 condition). I'm in the Army, stationed in San Antonio, TX but there is a strong chance I am getting stationed in South Korea next year so i would have to leave her in storage for 2 years (not taking with because I plan on looking for a JDM ITR while there and bringing it back, and I'm only authorized to bring back 1 vehicle).
I know that I will never get what the car's worth but, do I just keep throwing money to get it fixed (i do not have the time to work on her so i have to take her to a shop), or do I give her up for a fraction of what she's worth and let someone else fix her up and cherish the memories I had in my dream car?
BTW the car does start right up on the OEM ECU, so it's not much that needs to be done, my wife despises the car and I'm at the point of thinking that maybe, just MAYBE getting rid of the car would help out a bit.
I'm not getting rid of my wife, so I'm open to opinions... what do you think you would do in my situation?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
I'm not getting rid of my wife, so I'm open to opinions... what do you think you would do in my situation?
I laughed at that :)

So about your thought process, your heart, and unfortunately wallet, have to be "all in" as well. I'd say get what you can get for it

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I'm with Z on this one. If it had a clean title I said hold on to it. Salvage title get rid of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much you want for it? I?m looking at doing a project build for my sons First car and been looking for a good shell for the past 6 months.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Over $30K invested. I'd say keep it. All my cars have rebuilt title and I can care less. Can you store it for free? You will be out of state for awhile, so you won't need it anyway. When you are back you'll likely have more time and will be able to fix it yourself. I doubt the car you'd bring back would compare to your Type R anyway, event if it's RHD. At least you will buy yourself some time to think about while you're gone. You can always get rid off it if you so decide, that's not hard. Only do it when you are 100% sure otherwise you may regret it. Just my 5 cents

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really sure, I was thinking of putting it up on ebay if I decided to sell, but JMS Racing (very reputable shop here in San Antonio) also told me to let them know if I decided to sell her because they may be interested, which I took as a huge compliment... at this point I have the car just sitting, waiting to get a free day so that I can do a leak down test to see if its the piston rings or valves. I got the AEM EMS V2 working and had Jorge at JMS put a base map on it. The car turns on and runs but I havent driven it since it was stolen until I fix the issue to avoid any further damage. And I received the title from FL DOT and it does not say anywhere the status of the car whether Salvage or Clean which seemed odd to me because I clearly remember my old Teg's title said "Salvaged"... At this point I guess I'm just waiting on my Orders to see if I'm going to S. Korea or Washington State, and that may help me make a quicker decision, but as always, money talks and I could definitely use some right about now... sorry for the open ended answer, but I started typing and figured I would give an update on the car

·
Registered
422 Posts
let someone else fix her up and cherish the memories I had in my dream car?
This got me right there. Dream car? If so, you Will regret it. Even if you find a JDM overseas, what if you don't?
I haven't really driven mine an a year. But I've convinced myself to hang on to it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did they damage anything on the exterior? If not and the interior is 9 out of 10 JDM goodness, I'd say keep it man. Especially if its your dream car. And just fix her up little by little. I would love to find a PY ITR in good shape and build her. My only dilemma would be swapping the garage space with my Infiniti G. :) And like dude said, what if you don't find a JDM ITR overseas...IDK, I say keep it, but ultimately, its you that has to be 100% happy with your decision. The exterior is in good condition, interior in good condition. You've spent a good bit, got a pretty good investment on the built motor. Just take a little time (whenever you get it) and bring her back! Little by little man....I don't really see these too often in the type of condition you are telling us this beauty is in....up to you bro (keep it!...LOL).

****in' sucks that there are a bunch of losers out there with nothing else better to do with their time than steal vehicles...especially gems like these. Damn, I hate hearing crap like that...

Best of luck dude...

Thanks,

- DM

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sounds like a lot has changed since you got her... You started an intense career, you got married. And both of those things are seemingly challenging your priority to keep the car. Add one more thing to that list, say a child, and majority rules. Take a break, address the car later.

I love hondas and have been out of the "Honda game" for 10 years. I got married, had 3 kids, and started a business and have been buying used hondas ever since. Now I am entertaining purchasing a 3rd gen teg, or EG hatch. And working a little on it little by little on the side because now I have more time to. My intention is to make it my classic car, not my dream car. One thing I noticed... is there are a lot of people looking to "get out of the game" because it got them into debt and they realized their dream car at the age of 21 isn't a dream car to their wife or kids a few years later.

As I'm looking to make this purchase in the next year or two... its amazing what I can find for $10-$12k

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: So I decided to keep her and took the advice of many... over the past few weeks I have been rebuilding little by little... took the head to a machine shop and 2 exhaust valves were burnt, which I considered best case scenario... In the process of taking her apart I also decided to remove the turbo and go from 426HP back down to stockish HP. It's going to be like a kick in the nuts as She is still fully built but I will be running stock ECU and injectors, and sell off the turbo setup (Precision SC61 turbo with little play, Tial wastegate and BOV, manifold, downpipe, dump pipe, etc...) and AEM EMS V2 in order to offset the cost of fixing her back up plus parts... besides, she will be more reliable which is what I need and I'll still be able to drive and cruise as she was originally intended... maybe in the future I'll get a Hondata with bluetooth and tinker with her NA style for some fun. I got my requisition orders and will be PCSing (Army move) to Fort Leavenworth, KS so at least I'll have a nice ride to and from work... Thanks for the motivation guys!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
UPDATE: So I decided to keep her and took the advice of many...
Sweet! That's awesome man! Glad to hear that you've started working on it some already. Taking her back to NA and back to ol' reliable is not a bad idea. No boost, but I'm sure it will still be a kick to drive. Hondata and tune down the road sounds great! It sounds like you've been doing some brainstorming already. Perhaps a K swap down the road a possibility?? Perhaps, perhaps?? :driving:

All the best man! If you remember to and have some time, post up some progress posts every once in a while, maybe? Don't know about the other fellas, but I'd be interested in seeing some shots of progress...

- DM

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With cylinder head off, it would be a good opportunity to install high compression pistons (assuming you have dish pistons installed currently). Just something to think about, to avoid an "extreme" kick in the nuts once you convert to NA.
I installed 9:1-1 CP pistons and rings last year when I rebuilt the bottom end

·
Registered
562 Posts
Congratulations on your decision to keep your Integra. I have been following this thread the past couple of weeks as I recently (last week), but reluctantly sold Chloe, my 2000 Acura Integra GS-R Turbo with JDM Conversion. It was painful letting her go as I was the original owner and have had countless memories over the 18 years of ownership. However, we all have different rationale and motivation for keeping or selling our beloved vehicles. I was curious to what would be your ultimate decision based on your situation and respect your choice to keep your Integra nonetheless.

Though, I miss her dearly, I am relieved of the miscellaneous factors of owning an 18 year old project car ranging from small fixes to larger upcoming maintenance requirements (timing belt and water pump). Also, it was best for us to part ways while she was still in excellent condition relative to her age and while she still retained value having only 75k original miles on the entire vehicle and zero rust. We could have played the whole "let's see what she's worth in another 10-20 years" game, but there is zero guarantee that I would still have her in that time (accident, theft, etc.). She was 99% garage kept and was barely driven, started up every two weeks to keep the battery fresh and internal fluids cycled, but was definitely not being appreciated and driven as she should. Not to mention, daily driving an 18 year old, lowered, turbocharged and highly attention grabbing Integra was just not practical for me anymore. Lastly, at 38 years of age, she no longer suited my stage in life, career and lifestyle.

Despite my rationale for selling, Chloe, was my first brand new car and that is something that will never be lost and forgotten. So, while you can, enjoy yours to its full extent, as Integra are now a rarity. May you two have many more years of amazing memories!

On the bright side, Chloe was replaced with Elise.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations on your decision to keep your Integra. I have been following this thread the past couple of weeks as I recently (last week), but reluctantly sold Chloe, my 2000 Acura Integra GS-R Turbo with JDM Conversion. It was painful letting her go as I was the original owner and have had countless memories over the 18 years of ownership. However, we all have different rationale and motivation for keeping or selling our beloved vehicles. I was curious to what would be your ultimate decision based on your situation and respect your choice to keep your Integra nonetheless.

Though, I miss her dearly, I am relieved of the miscellaneous factors of owning an 18 year old project car ranging from small fixes to larger upcoming maintenance requirements (timing belt and water pump). Also, it was best for us to part ways while she was still in excellent condition relative to her age and while she still retained value having only 75k original miles on the entire vehicle and zero rust. We could have played the whole "let's see what she's worth in another 10-20 years" game, but there is zero guarantee that I would still have her in that time (accident, theft, etc.). She was 99% garage kept and was barely driven, started up every two weeks to keep the battery fresh and internal fluids cycled, but was definitely not being appreciated and driven as she should. Not to mention, daily driving an 18 year old, lowered, turbocharged and highly attention grabbing Integra was just not practical for me anymore. Lastly, at 38 years of age, she no longer suited my stage in life, career and lifestyle.

Despite my rationale for selling, Chloe, was my first brand new car and that is something that will never be lost and forgotten. So, while you can, enjoy yours to its full extent, as Integra are now a rarity. May you two have many more years of amazing memories!

On the bright side, Chloe was replaced with Elise.

Ultimately, I decided to keep her because she is still under 100k, and while I would like to keep her garaged she is my dd... Selling her would've just meant buying another dd that I probably would've hated and then realizing I made a mistake... needing a reliable car I decided to pull the turbo and go back to stock ecu and injectors, I no longer need the power and I just want to drive her, just hoping she starts right up when I finish putting her back together either tomorrow or next weekend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
UPDATE: So I decided to keep her and took the advice of many... over the past few weeks I have been rebuilding little by little... took the head to a machine shop and 2 exhaust valves were burnt, which I considered best case scenario... In the process of taking her apart I also decided to remove the turbo and go from 426HP back down to stockish HP. It's going to be like a kick in the nuts as She is still fully built but I will be running stock ECU and injectors, and sell off the turbo setup (Precision SC61 turbo with little play, Tial wastegate and BOV, manifold, downpipe, dump pipe, etc...) and AEM EMS V2 in order to offset the cost of fixing her back up plus parts... besides, she will be more reliable which is what I need and I'll still be able to drive and cruise as she was originally intended... maybe in the future I'll get a Hondata with bluetooth and tinker with her NA style for some fun. I got my requisition orders and will be PCSing (Army move) to Fort Leavenworth, KS so at least I'll have a nice ride to and from work... Thanks for the motivation guys!!!
welcome to KS. im not far from where you will be, rocking a k-swapped da9 myself :vtec228:

i had my original gsr stolen so i can empathize.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I got her up and running yesterday!!! But the joy was short lived with all the minor bs that comes with going back to "stock" parts... I was running an AEM 5 bar wideband, so I changed it back to stock... I'm throwing both primary and secondary O2 cel codes, and as of today cel codes for misfires on cyl 1,2,3... I bought a test pipe so no secondary, so I might have to bite another bullet and get a cat, and I ordered 2 O2 sensors yesterday... This afternoon when I started her up I smoked out the parking lot with white smoke and rich fuel smell... I put stock injectors back on but I still have a Walbro 255 fuel pump and fpr, which I haven't checked to see what my current pressure is, which I'm hoping will be the reason for the smoke and richness... Air/fuel ratio is at 12.1/1 at idle... I'm all ears for any input, I'm trying to juggle school, tests, family life and research all at the same time, so feel free to chime in if it'll save me some extra time trying to do the research, andif you're bored, have time, and would like to help out... Thanks again to all, and as soon as i figure out how to add pics and have a sec to breath, I will...

Next day check:
My fuel pressure gauge is reading 54psi with and without vacuum... It should be 38-46psi with and 47-54 without vacuum... But when i pinch the vacuum, my gauge stays at 54psi and adjusting the fpra full 360° didn't change anything... Bad gauge, fpr, or high flow non adjustable fuel pump?

FPR was stuck at 54psi, tapped it hard a few times and was able to bring the pressure down...

Then... WORST CASE SCENARIO happened... I did a leak down test... Same issue that I had at the beginning of this whole ordeal... Big Leak (I didn't even bother checking %'s) in cylinders 1,2&4... I also noticed it appears I'm slowly losing coolant...

Quick recap: machine shop said the head wasn't warped and I had 2 burnt valves which I replaced... we filled the cylinders with oil all pistons centered and it took 2 weeks to fully drain (Darton sleeves... CP pistons and rings have ~5k miles)... My car runs like crap 80% of the time, then out of nowhere she runs great... I'm misfiring on cylinders 1,2&3 (new distributor and plugs), leak down only held pressure on cylinder 3, I have white smoke and appear to be losing coolant but I've only driven a total of about 30 miles since putting her back together, so I can't tell with certainty. I took the valve cover off and rechecked timing marks at TDC. Also, not sure if it matters... my heater won't blow hot air, it's warm at best... I'm thinking the heater cite but maybe someone can tie all of this mess together for a better diagnosis? What are the odds of a warped block without a warped head? At this point I think I'm going to use K&W FiberLock block and gasket sealer and see if that does it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts