Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2000 Integra GS(manual) with 10,000km and I am not sure if it's the time to change the timing belt. The Owner's manual says "Replace the belt at 10,000 km(Canada) if you regularly drive the car in one or more of these conditions:
- In very high temp( over 110F, 43C)
- In very low temp( under -20F, -29C)

I live in Ottawa area.seems like there are a couple of days in a year when it's below -29C, otherwise ,it's fine.

Also one technician told me that I need not change it. He found somewhere in his database which indicates change should be done at 16,000km for this model.

I want to save $500 because probably I am going to get a new car in 16 months, But i don't want to lose my engine.
I appreciate any advice on past experience.

Jack

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
lol when i took my 87 integra into the auto lab at my school... the lab manager told me how his dad had a G1. he took it to the mechanic, mechanic said he had been so rough on it in the first 55k that he should change his timing belt. he didn't. it snapped the next day and took out every valve. so he just had a good laugh when seeing my car...

so i would say yes.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
This has been discussed before a few times. The end result is you take a chance.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
play it safe and replace it.
It's not worth the trouble to take the risk, if it does go, your screwed ( and without a car) until it's fixed.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
materiamage on Oct/09/07 said:
play it safe and replace it.
It's not worth the trouble to take the risk, if it does go, your screwed ( and without a car) until it's fixed.
and potentially a lot of $. actually, my best friend had a FS sign on his '91 LS and had shown it to oNE person... he was driving and his tbelt snapped and took all his valves out. yep, i would hate for that to happen and ruin my plans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.