Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here.
I'm looking for my first car and my dad came across this. https://lawrence.craigslist.org/cto/d/lawrence-1999-acura-integra-121k-miles/6909166694.html

I enjoy the car, and it just has a few issues, fissure crack on windshield, squeaking steering wheel, etc. I just want some more advise if this is something I should purchase. He will let it go for $1,400. I'm not too familiar with Integra's and was always kinda skeptical about those round head lights. Cv joints are good, and it also has a small oil leak thought to be from the valve cover gasket. Please help me decide if this is a steal of a pass. Is an Integra a good first car? Thanks!!

Isaac

·
Registered
84 Posts
The ad is no longer up.

This a car designed back in 1994, and uses things like timing belt, that has been greatly phased out in modern cars.

If you're willing to go on youtube and learn how to fix cars on your own, then yeah, I'd say get it, as the double wishbone suspension with sway bars and rear disc brakes setup is a true bench mark for its time, even today. Modern repair shops charge $85/hour, and a lot of them have a side business of 'flipping junked cars', hence why there's barely any parking space at most of them.

Another advice I can give you is, see if the owner has done any major rear suspension work on the vehicle, if not, then don't be afraid to talk them down by $500 or so. Due to salt and water, I need have an angle grinder and drill on stand by, to take stuff apart, and be sure to apply anti-seize when putting it back together.

My car now, is money pit of epic proportion, thankfully, I know how to do the repairs myself, thanks to great resources on the internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey! Thanks for the reply.. Sorry for my late response. I ended up talking the guy down to $1,200. I feel that price is fair. I do not know when the timing belt was last serviced. Currently working on putting in my own stereo, subwoofer and back up camera. The suspension seems strong, along with the rest of the car. I have an SRS light that will not turn off on the dash. I tried to reset it several times. Due to other issues with the steering area (no cruise control, turn signal does not cancel sometimes, srs light) I'm thinking it's the clock spring.. Next project will be replacing that. I also would like to throw some leather front seats in.. Not a huge fan of the late 1990s styling and comfort. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts