Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
test drove my pal's RSX and i must say i was quite impressed with the quick shifts i pulled off. so now i want one for my Integra. call me crazy, but i could have sworn there was a post a while's back saying short shifters are bad news. can anyone confirm/deny this claim?

at the same time, can anyone recommend cool short shifter kits *yah i know ... getting ahead of myself!*

thanks

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
ok heres the scoop on shortshifter. keep in mind this is from someone that had one.
the theory of short shifters messing up the transmission has its merits. whether it is true or not thats up for discussion. the reasoning behind this is that a short shifter shifts too quick not giving the syncros enough time to get up to speed. this resulting in messing up the syncros. although short, thats the basics of it.

now on to my experience. i had a B&M edge shortshifter. it was only 60 dollars and it did shorten the throw of the shift abundantly. it did have a sort of notchy feel to it though. it also sat forward more do to not having the bend in it like the stock shifters. i believe skunk2's shortshifter does have this bend. i eventually took it off and put the stock one back on because i felt that i could shift just as fast with the stock one, and not let the rpms fall in the least bit. and i didnt want to take the chance of it hurting anything if i wasnt going to see any performance from it. this is just my experience with them, im sure others will show the other side.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i've got the DC Sports shifter in my car. I agree with hootb18 on this one. it's a matter of what your preference is. you will get a slightly quicker shift with it, but i have noticed that i am more freqently shifting too quick and grinding the sychros. the only major problem i've had was tearing the rubber dust boot that goes around the ball on the shifter which also holds the entire thing together. i think thats just due to the fact that i push down to hard when i'm at the track. a new dust boot was $13 from honda, so i've learned to deal with it. if you go with the short shifter, i recommend getting the bushing kit with it. good luck!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
yeah i got the bushings kit as well and i feel it is a must. hell if you want a better feel shifting get the bushings without the shifter, only like $10 and they make the shifts crisper.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a DC Sports and I also sometimes find myself trying to shift to quick from 1 to 2 and grinding the sychros. Other than that i like the real short shift.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slightly OT, but what does this synchro grinding sound like? it's hard to know if you don't know what you're listening for. anybody got a soundbyte?

re: SSs and wacked trannies, thanks for the responses so far. consensus on SS problems seems to be shifting too quick *confirmed by previous posts on subject*. well, in my case, i'm a slow hand STOCK so i figure it wouldn't be an issue in my case. for me, the SS's appeal is in the feel, not in the 'quickness' of shifts.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
if the feel is all that you are lookin for than just get the bushings. a shortshifter will feel notchy like i said earlier and not as well as the stock with bushings.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
If you do decide to buy one dont get an aluminum one Iv'e heard from many a person they suck, steel ones are supposed to be tons better.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the B & M pro edge shifter .. I have been running it for approx. 2 years now with my '97 RS Teg with no probs. I love it!! I really like the notchy, short throw that it has .. every once in a while I will grind a little on the 1-2 shift but not too regularly.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i thought the pro edge didnt come out until last year? the edge has been out for awhile though. is this right??

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have an APC short shifter (at least I think it's APC... I bought it off a friend for $20 who got it off of eBay). I like it, and I don't shift HARD so I never hear any grinding of any kind. Although 1st to 2nd is a little "clunky" but it gets the job done. Short shifters = A-OK!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the Skunk2. I got raped buying this at a not-so-local import shop ($270) but I love it. It does have a bend, so it doesn't sit forward of where it used to be withe the stock shifter. I have had no problems with grinding. My only complaint would be that i've noticed that it sometimes refuses to get into 1st gear when I've been at a light or a stop sign. I have to put it in 2nd gear, let the car roll forward just a little bit, then put it back in 1st. Other then that
short shifters= good product.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
a bushing kit is two bushings, one that connects the shift linkage to the transmission, and the other one that connects the change extension by the shifter. they are made of urethane and are harder than the oem bushings, thus resulting in a cleaner and crisper shift. they are around ten bucks and you can get them just about anywhere. they are call Energy Suspension shifer bushings.

·
Registered
193 Posts
hootb18 on Aug/13/02 said:
i thought the pro edge didnt come out until last year? the edge has been out for awhile though. is this right??
Well, it may not have come out for the teg until last year .. I'm not entirely sure on that. I got mine from a friend that had it on his '99 Civic Si and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ShadowHunter! In your signature..."Do you ever catch yourself making revving noises while walking around your house, and wonder what the hell you were doing that for?"

OMG YES!

·
Registered
193 Posts
tintegra on Aug/13/02 said:
slightly OT, but what does this synchro grinding sound like? it's hard to know if you don't know what you're listening for. anybody got a soundbyte?

re: SSs and wacked trannies, thanks for the responses so far. consensus on SS problems seems to be shifting too quick *confirmed by previous posts on subject*. well, in my case, i'm a slow hand STOCK so i figure it wouldn't be an issue in my case. for me, the SS's appeal is in the feel, not in the 'quickness' of shifts.
Oh, you'll know when you grind the syncros .. imagine changing gears without using the clutch. Something along the lines of spoons in a blender
Seriously though, you can't mistake it .. you'll know when it happens. This only happens to me when I try to shift too fast .. just like everyone else said.

You are correct, the appeal of a short shifter in my opinion, is the crispness and "notchy" feel .. not necessarily the quickness.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Gerson_911 on Aug/13/02 said:
My only complaint would be that i've noticed that it sometimes refuses to get into 1st gear when I've been at a light or a stop sign. I have to put it in 2nd gear, let the car roll forward just a little bit, then put it back in 1st. Other then that
short shifters= good product.
It's strange that you should mention this as I have experienced the same problem with my B & M. I have found that if I go to reverse, then try 1st again, it usually works.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts