Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Why would it be bad? Besides the fact of if you were going over 90 which is where the third gear on most Integras redlines.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Depnding on speed, it is not bad. What makes it even "less bad" is if you start revv matching. This means, that when you put the clutch in, you revv to the correct RPM for third gear at that speed, and then engage the clutch.

This is not nearly as shocking to your transmission, and is far more comfortable for your passengers.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes, skipping gears will put more wear on the synchros. The collar will be spinning at a very different speed in 5th gear and the synchro will need to play alot of catch up once you start jamming it into 3rd. If you go down to 4th gear then 3rd it will more easily change the speed of the collar and distribute the wear on both synchros instead of putting it all on one. If you want to save the wear on the synchros you'll need to double-clutch.

·
Registered
763 Posts
dragontegz on Aug/16/02 said:
i forget the details but because of the design of the synchro mechanisms, it's not a good idea to skip gears...
what do u mean its not a good idea. if your not intending to redline every gear, once you get to your desired speed in 3rd, u can just switch to 5th. this saves a little gas and it doesnt hurt anything

·
Registered
98 Posts
If i'm cruising on the highway in 5th gear and i see a potential racer in my rear view mirror, it's guaranteed i'm thinking about double clutching to 3rd so I can be in my engine's power range when he/she catches up...I do this all the time and if done right, i don't think it'll hurt your engine.

But downshifting from 5th to 3rd without matching the revs is another story. It takes too long to engage and it will wear down your tranny/clutch eventually.

·
Registered
825 Posts
i do =). Not while racing tho. Doesnt make any sense in the context of f&f which has been pointed out multiple times on this forum

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If you just revmatch with the clutch engaged the engine won't match speed with the layshaft. It will save your clutch but still won't save your synchros. Double-clutching is the only way to keep the synchros from being worn on a downshift.

·
Registered
542 Posts
to make it simple the 5th to 3rd gear shift is by fair the best and most enjoyable shift you can make with your car plain and simple. if you do this alot just plan on selling the car before the synchros go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts