Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question...I have a manual integra and have a hard time shifting into the different gears. The car "jumps" whenever i change gears. Can someone suggest teh correct rpm to change gears? (for a LS 96)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm no expert or anything but i learned manual the hard way so i'll help from what I know. My friend in his new 2000 GSR had the same problem when shifting into other gears. I noticed two things that he was doing wrong. 1) He would shift way to soon so when he finaly is in the next gear the RPMs was literaly at idle. So I told him to rev higher about half a thousand RPMs till it was smoother. 2) When shifting into the next gear my friend would also hold the clutch down too long before letting up. (Which lets the RPMs fall which goes back to problem one) To fix this I guess only practice practice and more practice will help. Any how i got my friend to just stop being a puss let up on the clutch right after he shifted and not let the RPMs fall too low. I don't know anything for LS 96 but someone else prolly does so they can help ya there. To "simply" put it yer engine speed needs to match wheel speed as close as possible when easing up on clutch to reduce the jerk. Hope I helped just a little and didn't make myself sound like an idiot. (if i did maybe it's because i was up for 26 hours going) Later and good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
one other thing i noticed my friend would goof on. When letting up on the clutch he would in one fluid motion just lift his foot up. I know that's the idea but in his case (maybe yers) it was too quick and engine/wheel speeds didn't match just right so in order to be matched up engine slow/speeds up depending on situation and you get that feeling. I told my friend to just lift up foot slower only to the point that the clutch "meets" and hold it there till you move some a bit then depress the pedal the rest of the way. *phew* meh head is turning into mush. I'm really going to bed now till like tomorrow. *_* Later.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea, the biggest thing is make sure the rpm's are around 2.5k and dont just let the clutch straight out. Do it fast, but slow down right at engagement point while bringing it out. It will be hard at first to think about it, but it becomes second nature after a few weeks. Also, starting and the 1 to 2 shift are definately the hardest things to learn.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i good lesson on shifting. You are feeling the jerk because like mentioned earlier your flywheel and tranny are moving at different speeds. A good rule of thumb, if you feel a jerk give more gas, if the engine revs give less gas. The best way to approach it in my opinion is that when releasing the clutch you sh ould be giving it gas so that your clutch pedal and gas pedal meet at an equilibrium. It doesn't matter what rpm you shift at! The higher your rpm's the faster and more precise you must be.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I am also new to the shifting game I dont get the jerks anymore though its a ***** upshifting, and ive burned my clutch a few times that was fun. So as long as your not burning it your doing better than me

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just learned how to drive standard about a month ago and the only things i can tell you to not let it jerk is to keep your foot on the gas once it starts engaging or otherwise it will jerk or buck and to keep your heel on the floor when changing gears so you let it out a lot smoother. I know that my sister tends to have that problem when she tries to drive standard and just lets the clutch slip out from under her foot. I almost threw up after that ride.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Reverse is just a gear I dont get. If I half clutch half gas it works fine, but if I put in the clutch the car will buck and speed up way fast. If I just put in the clutch from a stop itll stall, any tricks what am I missing? Also first are you supposed to shift in first like kinda slow because ive tried to speed it up to no avail and non smooth shifts and stalling out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For reverse you just give it some gas and when it starts catching it'll start rolling back smoothly then just let off the clutch whenever you want to slow down when backing up. I let the clutch out all the way and it stays smooth for me. Works for me at least. I think you are talking about getting going in first gear for the second question. You have to learn when your clutch starts to grab and give it some gas when it is starting to go. I've let it out at idle and been able to keep going without stalling, but you have to do it real slow and some place that is flat or slanted downward.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Its all feel, like riding a bike. Eventually you get it down right and dont think about it. You cant tell someone how to ride a bike, because their brain has to develop the motor skills to do it automaticly. Its the same with a stick, you're brain has to figure it out, not you. Enough practice and itll come.

·
Registered
119 Posts
wow...this thread is very informative...thanks guys...i'm also having a little trouble with reverse...need to go driving to try out some of these tips. although british guy made some good points about the whole bike thing..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah thanks guys so much! Yah i think i was lifting my foot off the clutch way too fast...now it's much better. Thanks so much

1 - 14 of 14 Posts