Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i shift to first or reverse it seems it wont go all the way in to gear(its not smooth). it happens about 20% of the time... i have the clutch pedal pushed all the way and it still doesnt go into 1st or reverse.

the only way it will go in is if i let go of the pedal and then push it back in again...by then i will be able to shift into gear...

anyone know the problem? i really hate it when it happens especially when in traffic...

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
dood, i have the same problem on my 2000 GSR. but im not too sure if its a problem. to make my 1st gear shifts easier, when im launching from a light ill push in the clutch and put the car in 2 then 1 and let off the clutch. but as far as reverse i go 1st then reverse and it usually goes right in. i know there is a reverse lockout so u cant go from 5th to reverse.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup you described exactly what i do to get it into gear! it goes in any other gear except 1st or reverse... i need to shift to other gears before it actually goes in first or reverse...

i dont think its normal because ive driven other cars and shifting is way smoother and i dont have the same problem...

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have to be going a certain speed (lower of course) for it to safely engage (smoothly also). Yes, it's just a normal thing with most cars. My 98 Neon R/T did the same thing, after about 20mph it lets you in easy.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I had the same problem with my civic. Reverse was horrible on that thing (156k miles). I always got in the habit or putting it into 1st, then reverse. That way it never grinded and it usually went in.

There is something to do with the synchro's in a Honda tranny. Cause on a rare occasion I'll have the same problem in my teg. I'm not sure, but I know in older cars they didn't have a synchro on reverse, making it much harder to align the dog teeth. I'm not sure if this is the case with our tegs. Anyone?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same with the reverse, only I have 104k. I back out of my garage daily, most of the time I have to put it into reverse about 4 different times. Usually it go in, but it will feel too smooth to actually "go in" if you know what I mean. Either way, when it feels like that, it will just rev instead of grabbing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mine does the exact same thing in my 01 GS-R. It grinded a few times in reverse but then I learned as stated above .

To go into first smoothly push cluth in and go 2nd to 1st.

to go into reverse push clurch in and go first to reverse.
And no more grinds. Thata is just how it is synchronized.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
lock out for reverse and 1st is good...you don't want to be accidently putting it into 1st when you go from 2nd to 3rd or from 4th to 3rd.

most of the time you have to be at a dead stop to put it into 1st.

if the clutch is slipping, you'd know it by looking at your tach and speedo needles and seeing if they rise at the same rate or not.

the synchro for first gear on the mainshaft of the tranny is not connected to the reverse synchro on the countershaft.

usually when a reverse synchro goes, you also have 5th gear problems as well.

when a 1st gear synchro goes, you have 2nd gear engaging problems as well.

the hubs and sleeves for the synchro are shared for 1st & 2nd AND for the 5th & reverse.

so if this is not the normal lock out that we all have, and it's a true engagement problem, then it's likely a clutch. So you better be sure. look to see if the clutch is slipping. I doubt it if you are experiencing this only in those 2 gears though. You'd see it at all shifts if it was the clutch.

someone here suggested that it could be the clutch master cylinder. this also affects how the clutch engages and sometimes something as simple as the bolt holding the clutch pedal actuator to the master cylinder could be loose and needs tightening BUT you'd see this in all gears again.

remember: lock out for 1st and reverse is a protection feature built in...they didn't do this for the 6 speeds in the DC5 and there are people putting it into 3rd or reverse when they want 6th...KABOOM! bye bye tranny.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yes it is good to follow the recommended MTF change schedule...remember the tranny does not have a filter (your engine has an oil filter at least). the magnets to catch metal shavings in the tranny can only do so much. if you push the interval schedule, the chances of shavings or dirt getting into the synchros goes up.

it's a neglected item because most people don't read their owner's manual and look at the schedule. if you're humping the car hard at the strip, you better be changing the MTF at an even shorter interval.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Feb/26/04 said:
yes it is good to follow the recommended MTF change schedule...remember the tranny does not have a filter (your engine has an oil filter at least). the magnets to catch metal shavings in the tranny can only do so much. if you push the interval schedule, the chances of shavings or dirt getting into the synchros goes up.

it's a neglected item because most people don't read their owner's manual and look at the schedule. if you're humping the car hard at the strip, you better be changing the MTF at an even shorter interval.
Yes but why would MTF have such a huge impact on just reverse? It doesn't seem to have a big factor on the other gears at all, which doesn't make sense if in need of MTF change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.