Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i rims that have an 26 offset on my dc4 right now. I was wondering can i shave it down to make it about 35 or so from the inside? If so, where can i get this done/ how much would it be?

·
Registered
463 Posts
duckie on Feb/05/04 said:
hi, i rims that have an 26 offset on my dc4 right now. I was wondering can i shave it down to make it about 35 or so from the inside? If so, where can i get this done/ how much would it be?
This does not sound like a good idea. If you mill down material from the center of the wheel you will weaken it's strength.

With offsets, you can always decrease by adding spacers, but you can't increase by removing material from the wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i don't see why you would want to add positive offset. this would move the tire in closer to the car. it would also make your cars track more narrow giving less stability and highr roll center, which would also give you a more negative scrub radius. Excessive negative scrub radius will make steering harder and bumps in the road will make the tire want to turn -you'll have to fight that with your arms. performance may be effected also, but i'm not sure how exactly.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
perhaps he is sick of tire rub on the fenders...a bigger offset will help that....

if you could find a shop that is good enough to do that kind of milling go for it id say, but finding a shop with a mill of the quality needed to do precise wheel hub work is gonna be tough, and expensive if you do find one...this isnt exactly the same as resurfacing rotors or something

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
ac_attack on Apr/01/04 said:
i don't see why you would want to add positive offset. this would move the tire in closer to the car. it would also make your cars track more narrow giving less stability and highr roll center, which would also give you a more negative scrub radius.
This is all well and good except you are assuming to start with a more or less "standard" offset of the vehicle. That's not the case here, which the wheel in question has a 26 offset and the Integra's "standard" range is 38-45. A 26 offset wheel on an Integra would not be pretty.

·
Registered
501 Posts
duckie on Feb/06/04 said:
just make a note to yourself NOT to EVER BUY A 26MM OFFSET AGAIN

·
Registered
99 Posts
SurferX on Apr/01/04 said:
This is all well and good except you are assuming to start with a more or less "standard" offset of the vehicle. That's not the case here, which the wheel in question has a 26 offset and the Integra's "standard" range is 38-45. A 26 offset wheel on an Integra would not be pretty.
i see now. good point.

BTW it would be inpractical and unsafe to modify wheels like that. Unless they have overly huge hunks of strong metal at the mating surface. you could try machining a few mills off the brake disks where they come out to meet the wheels. although rotor stress and caliper clearance would probably become an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts