Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my b18b motor, so far full ferrea valvtrain. I want to get 403's, b16a pistons, and shave the head .030. my question is...will there be any clearance issues with any of this. If so, can i either not shave the head as much, or non at all, and just put the pistons and 403's in?

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here is some advice on surfacing a head, you only want to surface a head to clean up the mating surface or to make it flat again. You want to remove as little as possible. only mill a head that amount if the car is stricktly for race and you have many heads for back up. If this is your personal car, daily driver, I wouldn't do it. The min factory allows is I .008" I think or less. Taking it down .030, that is rediculous on street driven car, just to bump your compression .2 or .3 points. you probably wouldn't even feel the difference. When you surface it that much you you change the geometry of the original design. Cutting past the limit means retarding timing, now you need cam gears. Your valve to piston clearance has just been reduced greatly. Alot of people don't understand what .001 really is. In a machinists world .001 is a measure you do not guess at or assume. To give you an example, the human hair is about .003 in diameter. You want to take .030, it's like taking an inch off. If your looking for higher compression, buy new pistons and don't take chances with your engine. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
.008" is the amount they go down each service mill they do. The max the service manual recommends is 3 service mills, which is .024", .030" shouldn't be a huge problem, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're very precise with the timing or know someone who is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.