Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I made the mistake of letting some guy drive my car. I forgot to tell him that my ABS was out (or not working right im not sure). Long story short, there was a turn, the brakes locked up, we did a 360 and slammed into the curb at about 25. Somehow the only damamge was to the front right brake. The caliper and rotor are in peices on the road. My question is, what do i do now? can i replace just the one side or do these things need to be replaced on both sides. Any suggestions on what pads, calipers, and rotors to get? I was thinking autozone but im not sure

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
you can get re-built calipers (always get BRAND NEW rotors) from places like autozone, but in order for it to be cost effective you usually need to give them your old caliper as a trade in. It may still be the best way to go, even if you do have to buy one of the mstraight up with no trade. Other options I would look into are an AEM Big Rotor kit, which is like $300 or so and comes with big rotors which look nice inside of aftermarket wheels, and all of the hardware to mount a stock caliper onto the new bigger diameter rotors(you need at least 16" wheels). Or, if you want to get into serious money, a full big brake kit, suck as Brembo or Wilwood. those thigs are money tho, expect to spend 2000-3000 for those. in ur situation, I would get a rebuilt caliper for the front, new pads, and either stock sized rotors ($20 Brembo Blanks), or if you have a little money to spare, the AEM big rotor kit if you want that look, now is a good time to do it.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
You can replace just one caliper if your budget limits it to that. But I'd suggest too that you look at the other one and see if the piston is sticking or other signs of wear on the rubber parts.

I'd double check your suspension arms and the frame around the area that hit to make sure the damage isn't more extensive than the first glance.

Kyle, the Wilwood kit can normally be found between $600-$800.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah its a 95 gsr and it has 113k miles on it. He is paying for it and we havent looked at it during the day yet but i doubt i can get him to shell out any extra for an upgrade. I was reading some posts and seems like the autozone rotors will do fine. What kind of pads should i get? Its a daily driver but I drive it hard a decent amount so i dont want to get a cheapo replacements.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would definately have everything checked out to make suer nothing is bent as scott said. If you impacted the curb hard enough to do that kind of damage there is a good chance that more damage was done.

You should also have him pay to get your car aligned as well once it is driveable. Sometimes that is the only way to discover bent parts when they're not extremely damaged. I can just about guarantee that your alignment got knocked out by doing that, too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
NorCalGSR on Feb/01/04 said:
I would definately have everything checked out to make suer nothing is bent as scott said. If you impacted the curb hard enough to do that kind of damage there is a good chance that more damage was done.

You should also have him pay to get your car aligned as well once it is driveable. Sometimes that is the only way to discover bent parts when they're not extremely damaged. I can just about guarantee that your alignment got knocked out by doing that, too.
very true, after purchasing my 94 gsr i found out that the guy who owned it had hit a curb just like that and bent like 3 things that we only know about cuz the alingment was way off when we went to replace the wheelhub and arm due to bearing noise. They tried to cover it up by getting more adjustment out of the alignment. So we wouldnt know about about it when i test drove it.

get a alignment asap after you replace the parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today we took off the wheel and checked out the damage. The rotor was gone except for the center part and caliper was trashed as well as the sheild thing that goes behind it. Then the part that the caliper bolts onto is bent. I am not sure what its called but its the peice that connects the top control arm to the bottom. Does anyone know what its called?

·
Registered
567 Posts
yea, agreed. Replace both so they'll both go at the same time, its a more of a pain in the ass in the long running dealing with the same problem more than once.

well, make him pay for the one he f**ked up. and buy yourself the other, im sure u cud put it on yourself its pretty basic.

are the calipers destroyed? if so, dont buy new ones there expensive, tell the kid to give ut he money for what they cost tho.

goto the junkyard and pick urself up a caliper from the same type as ur car. All they realy have to do to rebuild it is shave off the pistion and rubber insert.

tell the kid u f**ked up ur tie rod too. wow im a jackass

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
pudendatic on Feb/01/04 said:
Yeah its a 95 gsr and it has 113k miles on it. He is paying for it and we havent looked at it during the day yet but i doubt i can get him to shell out any extra for an upgrade. I was reading some posts and seems like the autozone rotors will do fine. What kind of pads should i get? Its a daily driver but I drive it hard a decent amount so i dont want to get a cheapo replacements.
for an "upgrade"?

hell, if you get brand new OEM or OEM-style rotors and calipers, then thats an upgrade!

·
Registered
278 Posts
when it comes to brakes, you never do "one side"... they will not wear the same way causing problems later on... if you do rotors, you do both, if you do calipers, its better to do them both... that way everything is new and will brake the same way everytime... my dad is a mechanic and we have always done things that way whether its our own car or someone elses

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He is paying for it, both sides too because he feels pretty bad about the whole thing. The caliper is bent at the mounting points because the rotor twisted and then broke. I cant really trick the kid because he knows what hes doing (he built a 12 second all wheel drive eclipse in his garage) and he is going to help me do the work. I still dont know what the part is going to cost that the caliper actually bolts to because i cant figure out what its called. But all the other parts should be less than 200 from autozone. If anyone knows what thats called let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts