Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....after many minutes of studying my taillights on my car...i got a genious idea. Many people have been painting their taillights completely red which means it makes your bakc up light illegal. why couldnt you do this...in older fords they had sequential turn signals, could you re-route wires so that your now back up lights turn as turn signals goign outwards towards your now turn signals, and make your third brake light up at the window your back up light with much brighter bulbs and yank the red covering off of it?? Let me know what you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
DoDgE_ThiS_ on Sep/16/02 said:
The stock wires on the bulbs dont reach far enough to go to any other part of your tailights except where they belong.
wires can be extended

go for it

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
NeoSilverTeg on Sep/16/02 said:
umm, I don't exactly follow. You would put your turn signal in your reverse lights... and then what??
make the third brake light the back up light. only thing I can see that would be a pain in the ass is running the reverse wire to the brake light, youd have to wire it around the whole hatch and through the lid.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok here is a pic of what sequential tail lights are:

I would make my now back up light the first turn, then now brake light the second light, and now turn signal the third light.......in that sequence. My brake lights would stay the same...then take the red cover off the third brake light and make it my back up light

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
That would look funny I think. It looks right on that car because the lights are the right size but on an Integra it would just look off because the biggest light would be in the middle.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ford used a motorized relay setup to drive the sequential signal lights on the old Thunderbirds and Cougars. If someone doesn't sell a kit to do this, it can be done electronically with a small amount of design effort. Basically, you want a power FET for each bulb plus some timing and control logic to drive the FET gate inputs. one potential problem would be that the control signal to turn it on or off is blinking on and off itself. That just means that the control circuit is a little more complex.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it woulda been a kick ass idea, the reason for the thought was that I f'ed up my paint job on my 94-97 tail lights, then saw pics from one of the florida TI meets that showed a white teg with really dark red tail lights all the way across, and i was like *ding*, I am goign to go for it!
I will let you guys know!

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
it doesnt matter what you see, its what the cars behind u see and are like damn thats pretty cool, not to mention the fact that ive never seen it before and personally if the timing was all done right it would be bad-ass. If it works lemme know. Im gonna talk to a teacher that i had for electronics last year and see what kinda relay and circuit sh*t you would need to have the timing and sequence done right. I guess the flashers would just makeboth of them sequence, but would that take a more complex circuit or is it the same circuit as the turn signals that just activates both?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not at all....there are MANY vehicles in the past that have incorporated this sequential turn signal on their vehicles...they sell a sequential thing at www.sequentialturnsignals.com...check it out, they are about $75, but I can hook up some cheaper out of a older car and have the timing a little fast then theirs and would look much better;)

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
why would you want to disable one of the most important things that help your car from being rear ended by moronic drivers out there?

half of them cannot even drive and chew gum at the same time because they are too busy yelling at the kids in the back seat, talking on the cellphone, or doing their makeup

and you want to disable that big red light that says: "hey, i'm stopping!!!!"..... yikes, bad idea in my opinion, any "coolness" (which i don't even see how it is) gained by trading safety like that is a bad idea

·
Registered
890 Posts
My tails are crystal Red Altezzas. I've been hassled a time or two for them as well. They usually tell me work something else out. I have an idea, but I've never got around to doing it. I was going to add some lights on the left and right of the license plate, similar to a 95-97 Eclipse, and use hyper white bulbs. The trend in West Palm mini-trucks was to get the roll pan lights for a while, and this was there answer as well.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
MorningZ on Sep/17/02 said:
why would you want to disable one of the most important things that help your car from being rear ended by moronic drivers out there?

half of them cannot even drive and chew gum at the same time because they are too busy yelling at the kids in the back seat, talking on the cellphone, or doing their makeup

and you want to disable that big red light that says: "hey, i'm stopping!!!!"..... yikes, bad idea in my opinion, any "coolness" (which i don't even see how it is) gained by trading safety like that is a bad idea
actually, i've seen a couple of cars with the seqencial lights on them... i personaly notice the, MORE because the lights are so diffrent.

I say go for it! i'd look kickass!

·
Registered
655 Posts
TheRapture: I don't think Z was referring to the sequencial signals... he was referring to disabling the third brake light. If the third brake light was used for reverse only, than that's one less (and the most noticable) light telling the guy behind you that you're braking. Sequencial signals are one thing... but disabling the third brake light for them might not be the best approach is what he was trying to say.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
I see where your coming from, then i say just leave the reverse lights as is, and have the brake lights, and turn light in sequence, would be much easier, less wiring, and you wouldnt lose the third brake light.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts