Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've heard a tune up done corectly is a cheap and a great way to add to your engines performance. i have no clue what the steps are in doing my own tune up. anyone know what should be done and what parts tools i would need? thanks. i couldnt find an article on it here, could be a suggestion...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
spark plugs
wires(optional)
distributor cap,
rotor
advance the ignition timing to 18 degrees (see article)

basic tune up stuff.. also put synthetic oil in your car, should make it run a bit smoother..

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I categorize a tune-up under 'preventative maintenance' more than anything. Steps for a tune up just make sure everything is in tip-top shape. In addition to spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and synthetic oil (I use Castrol 10W-30 heavier weight for higher-mileage engines, curious as to what everyone else uses) I recommend the following:

- flush your cooling system, and I like to use Water Wetter in my coolant, please only use Honda geniune antifreeze (buy a Haynes guide if you don't already have one).

- change oil and filter. Always get a good filter. I use Bosch premium filters. Change the washer too.

- check and adjust valve clearances using a feeler gauge. Don't do this unless you know what your doing.

- inspect all fluid levels, all underhood wiring, brake components, boots, belts, anything made of rubber underneath your car. Look for tears, cracks, etc. Make sure everything is topped off

- transmission fluid change (again, only Honda geniune)

- get some fuel injector cleaner. I use STP fuel injector treatment because thats what the Acura dealership uses here (I saw them dump it into a dual-supercharged NSX)

- I like to use Z-Max. I know some guys think it's worthless, but I gain about 30 to 40 miles a tank, the engine runs cooler and accelerates smoother.

- You can advance the ignition timing, but be careful here. Adjustable cam gears may be in order, they run around $100. Again something you don't want to mess with unless your comfortable you know what your doing.

Good luck and good tuning.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of spark plugs would you guys use?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Gumout Regane fuel system cleaner is a better product to use. Straight fuel injector cleaner is very harsh and not good for the injectors. Acura offers a complete fuel system flush for $65 or so I believe if you really want to get all the crap out.

You don't need cam gears to advance your ignition timing. In a tune-up they check your timing to see if it is within 16 degrees +/- 2 degrees BTDC. Rotate distributor as needed, we have an article on it here.

on a stock motor stick with stock sparkplugs. For the VTEC Integras it's NGK PFR6G-11/13 laser platinum. 1.3mm gap for the GS-R and 1.1mm gap for the Type R. The LS's come with copper plugs so you can change to those or upgrade to platinum if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts