Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a new member to the site, and my 2000 Integra GS-R got stolen Monday and partially stripped. So now I'm shopping around for better security systems. Right now I have LoJack, which worked great for finding the car, but since there were 14 hours between when I parked the car and when I went back outside the next day to find it gone, LoJack didnt help recover the car before it was stripped or help catch the thieves.

I'm wondering what systems you all think would actually work well? At this point, from the brief looking around I've done so far, it seems like some sort of immobilizer (thinking perhaps the one from Clifford) as well as some sort of pager would be best, so its much harder for them to steal the car, and if they DO I'll know immediately and can call the police and activate LoJack.

What do y'all think? Anyone have any immobilizer and/or pager systems they recommend? Or anyone have better ideas on ways to go about securing the car?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would suggest that you look at clifford series alarms.
tilt sensor, dual proximity, air horns to sound with the alarm, blackjax (so if they steal the car, you can call it and disable it)

Don't ever go out and confront someone messing with your car.you never know what you may be walking into. Your life is more valuable than your car (goes against all teg owner logic, i know)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Great security (if you're worried about someone driving away in your car):

Toggle switch your fuel pump and put the toggle switch in a safe spot (under the seat or under the dash)

1. $3.00 toggle switch
2. A $2.50 relay
3. $4.00 in wiring

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ace, yeah, clifford seems to be good, i'm going to do some more research into them. I like their $2k-$3k antitheft guarantees
and as far as confronting someone goes, theres no way i would EVER do that. but if i know someone's breaking into my car, I can call the cops, and theres a police station about 5 or 6 blocks away from me.

roundle: i was thinking about doing some sort of homemade killswitch, with the help of some friends who know a lot more about cars than me, but the problem there is no matter how well you hide the switch, the switch is still there and possible to find.. with the more professional systems there wouldnt be any way to enable the car without something that only I would ever possess. but then.. those are expensive, and i'm hurting for cash at the moment, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Taliesin, except that nobody's looking for a kill switch; they're looking to disarm a very obvious alarm system...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
My security system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey check out Boomerang systems. They are a monitoring alarm system. Basically, they have this alarm system called Boomerang 2. They put a tracking device in your car and once someone steals your car, they're f**ked. Can you say SWAT? ok, maybe not that f**ked, but they proclaim to have your car within an hour avg. Gives you the piece of mind cuz you can go to sleep or go shopping and not worry about bums stealing your car. Im not sure if it will stop people from breaking in to your car, but it should stop them from stealing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Boomerang systems do indeed look very cool, I've already read about them. only problem is, they seem to be Canadian only, and I'm in Boston, MA... Anyone know if anything like that exists in the US? I have LoJack, which is close and very cool (its how they found my car) but since it doesnt get activated till you report the car, they potentially have lots of time to strip the car and make a clean getaway. Thats why I was figuring one of the pager systems would work well, in conjunction with my already present LoJack.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
you can spend as much money as you like on your car alarm the truth is and i know the truth hurts but the truth is when i hear a alarm going off more 98% of the time i dont even look and i know most other people dont either so unless you sleep on the roof with a sniper gun you might as well except the fact that integras are highly stolen cars and count this as a maintanace exspense if you smell what im cooking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah.. thats why my goal isnt so much 'alarm' type systems, but a combination of something that makes the car extremely hard to steal (i.e. disable the car) as well as something that notifies me that the car is being tampered with as soon as it happens, so that I can contac the police and get them working and activate LoJack.

Right now what I'm leaning towards is either the Clifford immobilization system, or a homemade killswitch, and one of the pager systems. Anyone know anything about the various pager systems out there? That's what I'm most interested in hearing about at this point. Which ones work? How well do they work? etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are there any instructions on how to do this kill switch with a relay or can someone explain it better, I don't even know what a relay is...

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
I would for sure recommend the Clifford BlackJax

http://www.clifford.com/products/cpa_bj.htm

i would have absolutely zero fear/regret walking up to a stranger, handing them my keys and saying "go"

my car will be dead in its tracks less than a mile or two away (granted they had to actually slow down to idle at some point)..

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok the cheapest, and most efficient way to keep thieves from taking your car for a ride??? kill the ignition!, you cant start a car without the iginition right? of course thats right, theres a fuse for such a function, remove it and ur car cannot be started no matter how hard u try. so its pretty simple eh?..Take the fuse out when u dont need it, and put it back in when u need to start ur car again. "you can even carry it around like a key" hahaha.....ok guy hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Taliesin, you are right that no matter where you put the switch it will always be there, but people wont neccisarly know what it is for...think about it this way...if you put the switch in the car yourself (and hide it), assuming that they do find the switch, it is a HUGE possibilty that they won't know what it is for....no theif is going to look in your engine bay, and see oh here are some wires that dont look normal connected to the fuel pump...that must be for that hidden switch inside. besides if you hide good enough, they wont find it anyway.

i have a switch on my console that is connected to my subs, everyone askes me what is for...it could be for the fuel pump for all they know.

just some advice hope it helps

·
Registered
359 Posts
tegonism on Sep/11/02 said:
ok the cheapest, and most efficient way to keep thieves from taking your car for a ride??? kill the ignition!, you cant start a car without the iginition right? of course thats right, theres a fuse for such a function, remove it and ur car cannot be started no matter how hard u try. so its pretty simple eh?..Take the fuse out when u dont need it, and put it back in when u need to start ur car again. "you can even carry it around like a key" hahaha.....ok guy hope that helped.
so what fuse is it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
its the blue 15amp "Ignition Fuse" and oh yea... that would be for 3rd gen teggy's im not sure if its the same for 1st and 2nd gen...just look at the little plastic diagram of ur fuse layout, and look for the one that says "IGN".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts