Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking through the manual for my sub, and it said power handling for a sealed box = 400watts and power handling for a ported box = 125watts.

i know it varies on the size of the box, but i'm currently looking for an amp, and i don't know what kind of power to run to it.

its a kicker comp vr 12"

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am hoping to buy an amp around 200watts or maybe a little bit higher. i'm hoping the Z man gives me a reply or mr. this cheeze because they are the two people that have given me good advice in the past.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Without looking at the sub specs, if it asks for 400 watts rms, try to get as close as possible to 400 watts.

If you're using, say a 300 watt amp, then that should be fine as long as you're not pushing the amp too hard. The difference in power between 300 and 400 watts is only around 1.3 dB if the math in my head is correct. However, it's also true that you run the risk of blowing your speaker when underpowering it, but if you avoid pushing that amp too hard, you should be okay. If you're worried about pushing the amp, then get a larger amp to begin with (this is what I would do).

As for the boxes, I prefer sealed boxes. They have a flatter, more accurate, response than the ported enclosures which use resonance to amplify certain frequencies.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
So cheeze, if I want to 'boom' like a ghetto boy, then I should get a ported box ... and if I want to just add some depth to my system's sound, then I should get a sealed box. Am I understanding this right?

I was considering one of the Bazooka tubes because they look like they'd be easy to remove if I needed to have more cargo space. Are they of the sealed variety? I think they are ... or at least maybe some of them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well I'm not Cheeze but I know that the Bazooka tube are ported in their design. They however sound very good and are not too "boomy" The bigest size that you can get in a tube is 10" which should sound great in a hatchback teg.

·
Registered
825 Posts
ugh. in my opinion it is a bad idea to get a bazooka tube. The quality coming out of that sub is horrid from all the times i have seen or heard it. There was a post earlier about how bad they are =(. Just run a search on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts