Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the link for you guys to preview what i have done to the article so far, i would like to see all comments about it and what i should do to improve it.. thanks alot.

Sea Foam Article Preview ( In Word Document, but compressed in zip)

that article will soon be a Team-Integra article in the article section, i would really like some feedback about what i have done soo far and any recomendations of what i should do.

thanks to my bud, Jared (TwiSTeDTS), for helping me with getting the preview up and hosted.

REVIEW

Well today me and my buddy went searching for a bottle of sea foam. We went to autozone and to my suprise they didnt have it or have heard of anything..i was like, stupid autozone people. Then we arrive at pep boys, they had it but they were out of it. Last and finally we go to Advance Auto, and to no avail they had it in stock @ $4.95 a bottle.. so i picked up 2 of them.

Well we pop my hood, i change my platinum +4 plugs to my old set of platinums so i would not do any harm to my new +4's. well i take off the brake booster vacuum line and start up the teg..and wow what a vacuum leak, idling @ 2k.

Now i stuck a nice little funnel in the vacuum line and i open up the sea foam and start to pour. As i am pouring im like damn the teg aint smokin'.. im like this sh*t is pointless..well my friend gets the idea to rev it up at a constant rpm and surge the rpms up and down as i pour more of it in at a constant rate..well we do this and after about 10 seconds my exhaust looked like the damn space shuttle takin off..i was like OMG..that is crazy..

so now ive used about 3/4 of the bottle and its still smokin. i pour into the rest and my friend rev's it to almost redline a couple times just to get the sea foam all throughout the engine. and it stops smokin and well lemme tell ya, i couldnt see anything past that huge cloud of white smoke. he's like damn, that sh*it works.. and im like "hell yea".

well we let it idle for awhile to make sure that it's all out of the engine. well i shutdown the teg, remove the funnel and i reconnect that brake booster vacuum line and start up the teg and lemme tell ya, the idle now is soo much smoother on her.. well i take out the plugs and they were soo black, it was crazy. so i put the good ones back in and take her for a test drive.

once i went through first gear i was like wow, this stuff really works good..the engine is much smoother throught the powerband. every gear is smoother and the engine is quiter. shifting is smoother because the rev's are smoother, not talking about the actual shifter being smoother.

so tomarrow i am going back to adv. auto parts to get another bottle and drop it all into my gas tank. because im sure that will clean all my fuel system out..

anyway i didnt do it the way as you pour it into the vacuum line and let it stall and wait 5min because i was scared to death to hydrolock it. so we just did it "my way".

althou i am hearing things now that since i have 77k on my engine that me using that much of it could have ate away at the carbon built up in the seals and clearances and maybe i could burn oil now? i hope not..because i dont want it to turn out that way , thiknin i did something good but it turns out i made it burn oil.

all i have to do still is change my oil because i dont wanna take the chance of it being contaminated and have it screw up the engine. im gonna switch to castrol gtx high mileage 10w30. hopefully if it did eat away too much at the carbon buildup that oil could possibly, like it says, make a tighter seal around the seals and what not.

Here soon i will try to get some pics of the sea foam in action because im sure i could still get some smoke coming out because i still dont think its all out of there. Maybe ill upload some video of it too, but for you guys with 56k that wouldnt be such a good idea.

RECOMENDATIoNS:

1. If you have a catch can, i would highly recommend emptying it after this is performed.

2. Clean your pcv valve with some tb cleaner. Also, if you do not want to spend the money on more plugs or you dont have a spare set laying around, i would suggest takin out your plugs after you use the whole can and take a wire brush to the electrode area and try to remove all the depostits on the area. Because there was alot of deposits on the plugs that i took out and i wouldnt wanna run the teg with that much on the plugs.

3. This sea foam is a good thing to see exhaust leaks with because i could see the white smoke coming out of my header, right where the joint is for the b pipe to the a pipe. It came flying out of there and all into my face, and yea, that wasent very nice. but o well now i know that the bolts need to be tourqued down again. also if you have a white integra, maybe check out your rear bumper, it could have a nice black spot on it, but im not for sure on this one, it might not get on it, but for me since my teg is black i should be ok.

4. Make sure you have another buddy there to help you out..if not, its really a pain

5. Take the time to put down a towel around your fender and engine bay area. because i spilled some on my fender and it ate away the clear coat completely..

6. Poke a hole in the side of the tip of the sea foam can with a whole puncher so it will not drip down the side of the can and onto the engine bay and car. It will instead fall through the whole in the can and directly into the funnel.

7. Change your Oil!

but ne way heres the basics:

Car: 1994 Acura Integra LS
Method: Brake Booster Vacuum line

Pros:
- Very smooth engine
- Impoved Idle
- Alot of carbon removed
- DO NOT SPILL oN PAINT, it will eat the clear coat

Cons:
- Too much carbon removed causing seals to leak and burn oil
- Change to really foul out your plugs
- " " o2 sensor

hopefully you guys can use this review as some help and what not..

- Brian

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I'm sure you will be fine. I put this in my "learned something new today" file!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StyleTEG on Mar/14/04 said:
Great review and write up!!
thanks Ross, i try! lol..

but im still wondering if i should switch to that high mileage when i change my oil tomarrow or just dont worry about it and see how it does with the regular oil i use which is Pennzoil 10w30?

and also if you have a catch can, i would highly recommend emptying it after this is performed. also clean your pcv valve with some tb cleaner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
so with an engine with 150,000 miles how much should you use with your method

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Awesome, i saw a huge honda-tech thread on this a few days ago, and now this one. Im definetly going to pick this stuff up.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JeRsEyLoon on Mar/14/04 said:
Awesome, i saw a huge honda-tech thread on this a few days ago, and now this one. Im definetly going to pick this stuff up.
yes i saw this too, it's a good thread..
here soon im gonna take the pics from my old thread to show all of you what carbon deposits look like and what sea foam takes out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i work at advance--i think right befor i go in tomarrow im gonna do it right in front of the store (that should be hillarious)--- are their any legal prob. i might run into (i dont live in cali)

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maddoghockey2 on Mar/14/04 said:
i work at advance--i think right befor i go in tomarrow im gonna do it right in front of the store (that should be hillarious)--- are their any legal prob. i might run into (i dont live in cali)
there's no legal problem that i know of..but just make sure u have 2 people to help you its much much easier.

also, take into consideration that the huge ploom of smoke will blind people in traffic.

·
Registered
218 Posts
is it really that bad- maybe im under estimating.

You interduce it through the vac. line on the left side of the booster right?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

thats the vacuum line.. on the left that goes to the intake manifold.

and yes the smoke is crazy man. enough to fill a whole football field, well not that much, but its alot.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Thanks for the pic! I was about to ask for one.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if anyone is intrested i will make an article on this and try to submit it and maybe it will be good enough to be on here. im sure i could because i got a digital cam and i can use about all of this post in the article.

·
Registered
218 Posts
yes please :)

I think it'll be great cause its something all teg owners can do thats cheap and makes a difference

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
AcuraRider14 on Mar/14/04 said:
but im still wondering if i should switch to that high mileage when i change my oil tomarrow or just dont worry about it and see how it does with the regular oil i use which is Pennzoil 10w30?
The pennzoil high milage oil is good stuff, it wouldn't hurt at all to use it, even beyond cleaning out the engine. It has moly in it (one of the few high milage oils that still does), and it has a good amount of swelling agents for the seals.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts