Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I think most people would say take it out.
But i'm hoping someone who knows "for sure" can answer this.

First of all, I don't know how long it is, but the assumption is that it hasn't punctured deep enough to really matter.

My question is, how does this affect the tire at high speed?

If I leave it, will it cause enough of a disturbance @ hwy speeds to make it worse, or if I take it out, will the break in the rubber do even more harm?

hmmmmmmmm...... i go camping in a few hours - hour and a half drive. it would be nice to know.

(Geez, what next to add to my list of annoyances? longer than my list of mods that's for sure:
rattling heatshield, exhaust leak from header, anntenna unable to achieve erection, blown rear speakers and now a screw in my tire). Oh and I forgot to mention I clipped someone's side mirror. No damage, but what a way to attract attention to yourself in crowded downtown traffic with an alarm going off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
go to a garage and have them take it out and fix it. i think there's a nationwide chain called discount tire or something that does it for free..i dunno how but yeah, get it fixed. it could be a slow leak..and wouldn't be good after time.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
this is what you do speechless. drive to your local auto parts store, advance or somethin like that, then drive right home. i would not drive my car any further then that. then let all of the air out of the tire, the unscrew the screw or whatever to get it out. then you take the tire plug that you bought at advance and put it in this is what you do. you take the file tool that comes with the kit and run it through where the screw was to make sure the edges and everything are rough. then you thread the plug through the needle and put the rubber cement on it. then push the plug through the whole until there is about and inch and a half sticking out. then turn the needle a half turn and pull up quickly. wait for ten mins,and then cut the two ends that are sticking up and inch and a half off of the tire. then fill it up with air and all is good. costs 5 bucks and takes 20 mins if you take your time.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Do you have a discount tire in your area?

The one in my city will fix leaks for free, so I would drive to a tire place with the screw in it and have them patch it up for you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i think discount tire is mostly in the midwest. my dad had a tire fixed there about a year ago in texas for free.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you have a Discount Tire, I would go with that (can't beat free service). If not, I would go with Hoot's plan.

BTW: Discount Tire will repair flats for free whether you bought tires there or not.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
You never know dude that sh*ts unpredictable if you leave it in. Its like buying a domestic model car you never know if itll work or break down in 20 mins.

·
Registered
296 Posts
DO NOT PLUG YOUR TIRE!!!
Seriously take it from me i work at shop that fixes tires among other stuff. Plugs are worthless they might work and they might not. If you are the kind of driver that beats up on your tires then its most likely not going to work. Take it to any tire place pretty much and ask them to put a patch in it. Not only are they better, but they are so better that the place i work at guarantee's a patch for the rest of the life of the tire. Patches also don't void any manufacturer warranties on the tire. Seriously do not plug your tire, don't be one of those people that i see come in and say "I got it plugged a few weeks ago, and its leaking again, can you fix it?"

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well this is just from my own personal experience, be it i have been very lucky or this is the norm, that i cant tell ya. but i have plugged about 3 of my tires since i got my liscense. and you can ask justinklemgold if ya want to, but i dont think there are many people that beat up on their tires as much as i do, and i havent had a problem with leaking or anything. again this is just from my own personal experience, not saying im right, just sayin i have used them and they work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah plugs work...sometimes. I had a plug in a tire in my old truck, but that was just because i didn't feel like taking the huge thing off and patching it. I'd rather just get it done the better way and forget about it. I bought my car with a plug in it from the previous owner and it was leaking slowly. Plugging it is at your own risk i guess is the best way to put it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sears Auto Center for free?? Oooh that's good cause i dont have Discount Tires here. What's NTB?

drew00_gsr on Aug/09/02 said:
Sears Auto Center's and NTB's do flat repairs for free also.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
National Tire and Battery

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That happened to me a little while ago. I had a nail inside my tire. I'd take it out because it'd be pretty scary driving with that knowing that it might tear up your tire while going 60 on the freeway. Better to be safe and get it fixed. It costed be like $3 at a local tire shop.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would take it out. It might not be leaking air now, but it will sooner or later. There are places that actually fixes flats for free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts