Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i proceeded to take out my sc belt at like 1:00 today. now its 9:00 and my car is a piece of crap. i loosened the tensioner puilley between the alt and crank..took off that belt...loosened the adjuster pulley for the sc belt...took it off. i tried to put the new belt on but it turned out to be too small...so i spent a load of time messing around with it....then ended up putting the original belt back on. i start the car and there's this incrediby loud grinding noise...and a metal to metal/rubber smell. what a nightmare...what should i do?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
geez...can ya help me a bit more than that? i was wondering for those of you that have replaced it...has anything like this ever happened? what could be a likely cause? improper tension?

all i know is that when i start the car...theres an awfully loud grinding noise...and a nasty smell..

and one more thing...i coudln't get the damn belt off the pulley at the nose of the sc blower and i was getting frustrated so i started using a flat head...i ended up chipping the pulley...i have to replace the pulley huh? im assuming its gonna tear up the belt?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
how are we supposed to help something we can't see, can't hear, and otherwise have no idea what you could have screwed up?

does you put it back exactly like it was? if you can't answer, then not too many people *can* help.

if you did, then you probably cranked down on the belt too tight... but if it's grinding that bad, then you're probably already damaged the blower nose bearings.

if you didn't put it back exactly like it was... then... well...put it back exactly like it was.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the noise is coming from the crank area...im pretty sure i put it back the way it was supposed to go back on...the only problem was with the adjuster bolt on top of the tensioner pulley between the alternator and crank. getting in there was a pain and i dont know if i tightened that bolt correctly..i also completely took off that pulley and put it back on..i think its suggested that i just move it a bit, but not actually take it off(not too sure about this though)...but could this really be the source of the loud grinding?

and about damaging the nose bearings...how's that possible? is it possible for me to do that just by replacing the belts?

sorry if im gettin on ur nerves dayboynblu...its not my intention. im a bit new at all this...and i might have screwed up. i wanted to do this for myself for once...and im having a bit of trouble..put yourself in my shoes...im in a bit of a shaky situation and im not too sure what could be wrong. my car's messed up...i have to drive to school...im getting a bit frustrated and nervous. please try to understand.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
This sounds potentially serious. Are you seeing the belt in the harmonic balancer moving as though it's not tightened? If that is the case, you may have lost the harmonic balancer which is directly assoicated with the crank bolt. If it's not on the right torque, and is off just a bit, you can kiss the crank goodbye, for the keybolt behind it may have fallen. It happened to me and the only way to solve it was to have press fit (liquid concrete epoxy) solve it, and even then a pro mechanic did the work..

Not trying to scare you too bad, but you may have seriously f**ked that crank..

Had you done any of this work before?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope....i haven't done any of this crap before...well... you have already scared me...can you give me a bit more info on this harmonic balancer thing....is this really a likely problem? i didn't mess with this area...at all...i think

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
TheShodan on Feb/08/04 said:
This sounds potentially serious. Are you seeing the belt in the harmonic balancer moving as though it's not tightened? If that is the case, you may have lost the harmonic balancer which is directly assoicated with the crank bolt. If it's not on the right torque, and is off just a bit, you can kiss the crank goodbye, for the keybolt behind it may have fallen. It happened to me and the only way to solve it was to have press fit (liquid concrete epoxy) solve it, and even then a pro mechanic did the work..

Not trying to scare you too bad, but you may have seriously f**ked that crank..

Had you done any of this work before?
I'm almost certain our cars dont have a balancer, it's just a pully. 4 bangers have alot less need for them than v-geometry engines because the power pulses are further between and evenly spaced.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take the belt off or cut it off and see if the noise goes away... thats what i would do. If you need to drive it soon just remove the belt drive it and take it to somone that knows what they are doing. It will run rich but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
cybrsamurai on Feb/08/04 said:
Take the belt off or cut it off and see if the noise goes away... thats what i would do. If you need to drive it soon just remove the belt drive it and take it to somone that knows what they are doing. It will run rich but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I hope your joking. Your going to have him take the belt of the supercharger and drive it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you can drive fine w/o the blower belt. won't run rich either. just don't do it for months on end.

mechanic is sounding like a good idea at this point.

·
Registered
611 Posts
are there mechanics that will drive to your house?
I don't know what the problem is, but I feel your pain and anxiety. I have had countless hopeless feeling situations when I started something and couldn't figure out how to finish the job. It'll all work itself out in the end, time heals everything.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not an FI guy.... but make sure that you didnt leave any tools in there...seriously, it happens... i.e. a wrench or a ratchet. Also make sure that all your bolts are tightened down properly. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this might get ya guys mad...hehe..but i found the problem...i think i just put on the tensioner between the crank and the alternator on backwards...

i guess in all that frustration and stress...plus it was getting late and i was rushing it...i had no light...except for a measily little flashlight...i just started rushing to put everything back...

i actually ended up doing the whole replacement just fine today....only took me an hour.. with a lot of breaks...for no reason...

that is a hell of a lot less compared to yesterday...taking like 7 hours and at the end just screwing everything up.

anyways...so the new belt is in and all...and its running just fine...i just want to know if you guys can let me know what to look out for just in case i overtightened or undertightened my belts.

and another thing..i ended up chipping some of grooves on the pulley on the nose of the blower. that'll cause premature wearing huh? in all that frustration i started using a screwdriver to take out the belt....that damn thing wouldn't come off...as a result i made little chips in certain areas of the pulley....

is it ok to just file the chips down so its not sharp? either way...ill do this sometime later cuz im packed with schoool and all..ill do it when i replace my sc belt pulley...i really think that belt needs replacing..when i feel the pulley...i feel small grooves and gashes all throughout where the belt lays...if i was a flea walking on the surface of the pulley...it would be like walking for the rockies.

anyways thanks for all your help!

and thanks for understanding the anxiety i went through...sometimes you just wanna throw a hammer into the engine...but time actually did make everything turn out ok!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts