Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out here. I've been reading alot in the TI forums about salvaged titles lately. As far as I know, and I've been around awhile, we do not have that in Idaho. If I understand correctly, if the repairs cost more than the car's value, then it's considered a "total" loss - hence the term "totalled". Does anyone know if we have "salvage" or "recovery" type titles here in this state? Maybe someone who has worked in car sales or something could shed a bit of light on this for me. Gracias.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Best bet would be to call, Idaho Depatment of Transportation and/or State Farm insurnace agent in Idaho.

Too lazy to read but here it is is DMV laws

Check section 49-524 and 49-525

·
Registered
512 Posts
I believe a salvage title travels with the car nation wide, like if a car is registered in Cali got totaled and repaired but has a salvage title. Then later sold in Idaho it would still have a salvaged title.

I know car stealerships do not buy or accept cars with salvaged titles, unless they're the shady type.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the curious:

Idaho Statutes

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 1

(m) Salvage vehicle. Any vehicle for which a salvage certificate, salvage
bill of sale or other documentation showing evidence that the vehicle has
been declared salvage or which has been damaged to the extent that the
owner, or an insurer, or other person acting on behalf of the owner,
determines that the cost of parts and labor minus the salvage value makes
it uneconomical to repair or rebuild. When an insurance company has paid
money or has made other monetary settlement as compensation for a total
loss of any motor vehicle, such motor vehicle shall be considered to be a
salvage vehicle.

Found here.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes you have to turn over your title for exchange of a salvage title when totaled!! I just had to do this with the city...grrrr...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Idaho is kinda nice. My car is a theft recovery! Paid $1400 for the car with 92k miles the only thing they took was the interior and thats not a big deal to me. I left it out and got two racing seats!!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Defnitely bringing this thing back from the daed haha

Anyways, so is there anyway to bring a salvaged title back to "normal" status?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you can do a "repaired" or "reconstructed" vehicle title. You'd have to read the link I gave above to be sure though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
there are 2 main types of 'salvage' titles in idaho. with a 'repaired' title, it's just a regular title that says 'repaired vehicle' under other info. a reconstructed title, i'm pretty sure, is a different color and says 'reconstruced title' at the top.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I have heard that in soime states, it is possible to clear the title of the car again.

But really, thats some bad info you are passing along and you're sure hiding something on the vehicle.

Its like a criminal record... it should stay with the car so people later down the road will know its record of life.

In CA, when you buy and re0-build a vehicle, it will have a -rebuilt title to it along with the salvage title. Some vehicles if it has been in the hands of salvage/junk yards, it too will have that junk title along with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it used to be possible to get clear titles on theft recoveries in idaho, but i don't think they do that anymore. also, if the car is under a certain value and a certain age, it'll get clear title here. however, if the car was bought out of state, it'll still show salvage history on carfax.

rebuilt and junk titles are types of salvage titles. most states don't have an actual 'salvage title', they have different names for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts