Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a car shipped from michigan..well the thing is..the engine is full of dried salt..and its really ruff..is there any way i can clean that off? is there any kind of products out there?..and also i have some rust spots on my car..whats the cheapest and quickest way to get rid of that? i was in the ailse of pep boy..and they have this spray that converts rust into black primer..any one heard of it? if so..does it work?..and how efficient is it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey, you pay for cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff. basically you get what you paid for. so seriously this rust stuff, how many times have i been tellin you to get new body panels welded on, if you don't got the money i onknow what to tell ya, but yea you can fix it now, but what about down the line a year from now, when your nice new paint job is all jacked up cuz that whole quarter panel collapsed in.

as for salt in the engine bay, i'd use degreaser, hopefully that'll get it out, and i believe in the articles section it tells you how to clean your engine bay step by step, maybe that will help.

and turning rust into black primer? you got to be kiddin me right...no way is rust elimated by just a spray, if something is strong enough to remove rust by a spray, don't you think that stuff would mess up the sheet metal of the car as well....honestly cuz i'd save up and do it the right way, take it to a shop and have em weld you a new quarter panel and fix that roof rust as well, if now yea cheap fix it, but then sell it (hate to say) but eh you do what fits your needs/wants and your budget. nukka sell the car.....lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a prelude as a winter beater with HUGE holes and rust spots, i jus grinded the rush spots down to the bare metal,got some bondo applied a thin layer so it was even with the paint,got some light grit sand paper smoothed it out,primed it painted it never came back again.It's best to grind all the rust out to the metal and this way you'll see that even if you can't see the rust there's a whole lot under the paint around the rust spot.Covering it up never works it'll just come right through the paint sooner or later.I used automotive tremclad rustproof primer and paint and my buddy has the car now and no rust is visable after 2 years.I did it all at 16 so it's pretty simple and it works!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I've heard of the spray stuff. Don't use it. It causes the rust to spread. It is supposed to be a rust inhibitor and it didn't work for me. There are other products on the market that are supposed to prevent it from spreading. Asking a local body shop,will probably tell you to remove the area and use some sheet metal. Your could do it yourself. Its not too hard but it may not come out perfect.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that sounds all great cj..but my rust is real bad the whole quarter panel is just done..the bottom of it where the wheel well down to under the door and i dont kno where else..up to the antenna..

·
Registered
142 Posts
you can always use automotive metal meshing.i wish i had pics of the way it looked... i had holes with a 1 foot radius in the same spots you jus described and i shaved the mouldings too with the meshing and some bondo and a sanding bit on my drill and it was fine.Experiment sometime on one of the smaller holes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
automotive metal meshing?..whats that?..the whole i have are probably going to be hella big..i havent sanded the car down yet..but u can see it coming out of the paint..and right under my door where it has the quarter panel comin up very little..i have it under there too..and a little bit on the roof..and i have a little on the hood bc i dotn have a battery tie down on my battery..but thats going to be ok..im going carbon fiber..

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
They really need to come up with something other than road salt and sand. The Salt ruins everything and the sand is messy and causes accidents when dry.

How about snow plows with massive heaters that melt it instantly =)

·
Registered
142 Posts
here in toronto they have parking lots with salt mixed into the ashphalt and melts snow on contact...why not use it on the roads? bunch of nerds.... anyways automotive metal meshing is almost like the screens on your windows but different meterial... you jus spread it over the hole put bondo on the edges to support it then jus glop on the bondo when the edges are dry... hell man jus get new parts from a scrap yard. Wish you were closer my brother in law owns an auto wrecker with loads of imports.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts