Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nylon cord in my OE antenna snapped last week so I decided that I could save a couple pounds and improve the look of my car with an S2000 antenna. I read the article on the old Shark install and the OE install and decided that the OE was much easier. In retrospect, I should have done some more research to discover that the Shark install article is really old and that the Shark II install is much simpler.

At least with the OE S2000 antenna I still get Honda quality and AM reception.

To the point, I noted a couple improvements that can be made to the install article.

1. Power Connection - Rather than tapping into the harness and the power lead on the antenna, just swap the connectors from your antenna motor and the new antenna.

Pop the connectors open from the back and use a small screwdriver to depress the retaining spur from the inside of the clip.

Label the wires on the motor if it is still working in the event that you want to sell it or reinstall it in the future.

Install the S2000 antenna power lead into the middle slot of the Integra's antenna motor clip.

once installed, just clip the harness into the clip on the S2000 antenna and you have an OE quality connection that should last forever.

2. Rather than drilling a new hole for the radio backstrap, reuse the bolt and hole for the relay.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey, that is exactly how I did it too! I think that it is a lot cleaner that way. I also noticed that there is no need for the piece of PVC that is used in the article. Just had to trim the inside plastic off the mounting collar and it fit on just fine even with an o-ring to seal it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Mike97LS on Jul/23/07 said:
Hey, that is exactly how I did it too! I think that it is a lot cleaner that way. I also noticed that there is no need for the piece of PVC that is used in the article. Just had to trim the inside plastic off the mounting collar and it fit on just fine even with an o-ring to seal it.
what size of o-ring?

·
Registered
294 Posts
bleemasaurus on Sep/11/07 said:
Quote: Mike97LS on Jul/23/07Hey, that is exactly how I did it too! I think that it is a lot cleaner that way. I also noticed that there is no need for the piece of PVC that is used in the article. Just had to trim the inside plastic off the mounting collar and it fit on just fine even with an o-ring to seal it.

what size of o-ring?
To be honest I dont remember. I just took the antenna with me to Home Depot but any good hardware store should work. I went to the part where they sell sink parts. There should a hole big collection of rubber orings there of all sorts of sizes. Just find one that fits nicely and isnt too big that it will stickout from under the cap. I think that size that I got was either a 17 or 15. But there are so many different brands and different sizes you have to go through and find one that works for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I figured I would bring this thread back. I am going to do this conversion on my Integra. I have a couple of clarifying questions.

1. I think using the original connector is a great idea. XEENITH, What did you do with the other two wires? I see only one of them is used?

2. Mike97LS, Do you happen to have any pictures of the modification to the collar?

I am trying to get all my information before I start this conversion. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
The first time I used PVC as washer spacers on the S2K back in 2001 or 2002. The FM signal was just OK but the AM had no signal. Since I swapped out the PVC for metal washers (stack them up). I got both signals from FM/AM.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
1. I think using the original connector is a great idea. XEENITH, What did you do with the other two wires? I see only one of them is used?
Don't invent problems that don't exist, he clearly pointed out you only use the one wire, the others are not required, hence they are not documented.

If you want more information for whatever reason, the 3 wires on that plug:

- Black: ground
- Green/Yellow: 12v lead of the radio telling the antenna: "hey i'm on, go up!". This wire shows 12v when AM or FM is the active source, 0v when the radio is on another source or powered off.
- White: constant power (shows 12v all the time) to actually power the motor to go up or retract

The S2000 antenna doesn't move up or down, so you don't need the white wire since there is no motor that needs power.

The green/yellow from the radio: this is the wire you want to the lead of the S2000 antenna as it powers the booster built into the antenna. The booster needs to be grounded to the car to work just like any other electronics, so that leads to:

The ground wire is not used because it is kind of redundant because the (Integra) antenna body is bolted to the body of the car and as a result: it's already grounded. In the write up above, the OP uses a metal strap to hold the metal body of the S2000 antenna to the body of the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts