Team Integra Forums banner

6061 - 6080 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,062
Alright, so here is the direction I am heading with this

Here is the driver side knuckle and dust shield screwed into place

Here is where I want the flange, with the hole as close to the center as possible

Decided to first use a piece of PVC, the middle ring in the middle is shaved down so it snugly fits in the flange

Using my Dremel I cut the angle needed and have it snugged into place inside the aluminum, I then use some JB Weld Steel Stick as a base to fill in the gaps, once it fully dries/hardens (I'm going to let it go overnight), I'll use the two part JB weld to coat and seal up even more

Using a few different unibits I have, I cut the hold through the dust shield

Moving to the other side of the hose, here is my untouched corner assembly

I used the Dremel some more (I need moar cutting wheels!) I cut away what I need to let the air flow through

Until the next update !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I just always get envious of these rust free parts.....the north sucks because of winter and salt.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hmmm, whats the maximum amount of heat PVC can take? Brakes get hot, but I hope they don't get hot enough for it to cause an issue. I might be over thinking this a little.

Great execution!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,065
I've seen other implementations of something like this with both ABS and shop vac hose, and I'm sure the melting point of both of those would be lower than PVC if I had to make a guess

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
PVC, hard upper limit of 140F/60C. There's a reason you can't use it in hot water applications in the US. It gets soft, deforms, and eventually becomes truly plastic at elevated temperatures. It also releases nasty gasses.

It may be OK there, cooled by the ambient air, but pay attention when you stop after a hot lap or three. You may want to go the F1 route of having brake cooling blowers. Not to cool the brakes, but to cool the brake-cooler-coupling.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,072
Yes.... yes...... this will work out great !! Nice work by @Jeffaome

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
I'm really intrigued by this project. I spoke to the resident ex-garrett-turbo-engineer here at work and we both wondered if this will just cool the rotor or if there's enough space to cool the rotor hat? Also, he liked the fact that the air was on a flat/forward-facing surface of the car. Means air will actually go there.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
I'm really intrigued by this project. I spoke to the resident ex-garrett-turbo-engineer here at work and we both wondered if this will just cool the rotor or if there's enough space to cool the rotor hat? Also, he liked the fact that the air was on a flat/forward-facing surface of the car. Means air will actually go there.
From what I can tell, at that angle, it will mainly cool the inside edge of the rotor, and leftover air will jet to the center of the hat and be expelled via the internal fins, cooling the rest of the rotor and the hat itself via conduction. On our cars it's nearly impossible to get the kind of good front brake duct entry that rwd cars can achieve.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,077
Unfortunately I won't have any quantifiable data to know it's worth it, or even works for that matter lol..

The test for me will be "do i burn up another wheel bearing on track"... thats good enough for me !

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,080
So made some progress this morning before work

First pulled off the intake tube and adios to push/plastic garbage !

Hola to AN and Stainless !

While I had the passenger knuckle off, this needed to be replaced to match my new one on driver side

Mr Dremel coming in handy yet again and opened up the outlet hole

Blue-thread-locked the allen bolts holding the shield on and using my modified/shortened 4mm allen key tightened it down

And getting the passenger side back together !

Hope to have more time to work on it after work

Attachments

6061 - 6080 of 6485 Posts