Team Integra Forums banner

5721 - 5740 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,721 (Edited)
Yesterday was fun and well worth it....

It was a first time event for this group, as a result everything ran late late late (for instance, all driver meeting was supposed to be @ 8:30 am, it wasn't until like 10 that it happened) and there were only two sessions each for people there to the road coarse. It's all good though, got to set the bar a bit lower when it only cost $50 per person.

This was a day event where one could chose the road course or a simple "rally" course, some people chose both !! Needless to say the Tegs stayed on the road, although the rally course looked fun as heck.

Started off super early at 6:15 am to make the 2 hour drive

Got up there, met up with @Jeffaome and set ip camp

After the driver meeting FINALLY happened there was a "parade" lap to let people who haven't driven the course take it slow to see the turns and layout, so I let the wife drive

Both Jeff and my wife were in the same group, here is them leaving grid and out on the track.

My wife did really great from what I saw out on track, and she handled the car perfectly, she did run into some lean cut situations with my tune (i'll explain next post) but handled it well

My time out on track was more about the car than times or laps, I was watching oil temps, pressure, coolant, all the stuff that would help be determine if the engine rebuild was done correctly and solid. I was generally easy on her...

The dual rally/road event brought together some fun sights like this while out on track, I'd go into a low speed turn and come out to see a car on the rally part go flying by in front of us before we had to hang a right

All in all, a fun as heck day, well worth it.....

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,722 (Edited)
So issues identified after this shake down day:

- My O2 sensor: still getting all fouled up (causing false positives on "lean cut" happening by the ECU)..... new pistons, new rings, new valve seals, what the hell else could this be?

- Oil temps after two back to back 20 minute sessions run high for my taste (low 240's), I'm going through an oil cooler, that has a fan (that I know works, I heard/watched the fan work yesterday) (FIXED, wired backwards, doh!)

- Methanol tank is leaking, gotta fix this once and for all... long term is better lines/connections than plastic tubing and compression fittings i have now, but I need to do something short term (probably JB Weld will be heavily involved) this week before our trip to Roebling this coming weekend. (FIXED with JB weld)

That was it for the car, it handled all else perfectly.

Just a general "have to fix before we leave Friday": couldn't get my trailer lights working at all, got to see what to do about this (FIXED, damn Nissans and their overly complicated electrical systems)

·
Registered
709 Posts
the rally part sounds interesting, but getting dirt in the interior is something I don't want to deal with.
Josh and I know a few people that rally their cars, always seems tempting if I could try a dedicated car instead of mine however.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Started off super early at 6:15 am to make the 2 hour drive
Have a kid. You'll recalibrate 'early'. I'm usually done with breakfast by then :biggrin:

Pics look great

Bummer about the oil temps, though those aren't that high in my experience. 260-270 (280 is breakdown for many oil bases) would be rather worrisome to me. 240 is hot, but not dangerously so IMO.

Sounds like Diana had a blast!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,727
So to answer mix's question (which he already saw this pic), this is where the oil cooler is mounted, just left of the driver side driving light, one thing he suggested it to make sure the fan is blowing the right way

Pulled out the methanol tank and JB Welded the snot out of the part where I believe it is leaking from, the tank is still in the garage as I'm letting it dry/cure... package said fully cured in 24 hours but I'm giving it 48

Also noticed some sort of oil had leaked on the floor in the 14 hours the car was sitting here... :: sigh :: another Gremlin to track down

In all of this, Nemo is not impressed

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,729
Put the car up on jack stands and took off the front bumper after work, then:

- Re-secured my driver side driving light, it had rattled loose because of engine mounts (first of many things loosening up i am sure lol)

- Used a whole can of brake cleaner and sprayed the underside of block and area to get rid of oil residue

- on advice of @dpaton , picked up some UV stuff to look for oil leaks, i'll drive the car some tomorrow to see if it helps me find some leaks

- and then on the advice of @drmix , i checked my oil coolers fan to make sure it was pulling air through the radiator, not pushing the hot air back through it.... and I'm glad that was the case and all i had to do was swap around the leads and problem solved i hope... we'll see this weekend how the oil temps are with this blowing in the correct direction

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,731
So two days ago I put the UV Dye in the oil, drove it around yesterday and parked it.

Went to drive the car again this morning and when i pulled out to warm the car up, i saw this on the floor..

Went out and did a few errands and then came home, jacked up the car and pointed the UV flash light up in there and found that the oil temp sensor addition I added is leaking from one of the hose clamps (blue arrow, can't see the dye in pic because I'm not pointing light at it) and also seems to be leaking right out of the GlowShift temp sensor itself (yellow arrow), ugghhh...

I'll look to get that all tightened up today or tomorrow as time allows.

I also put the methanol tank back in this morning, we'll see how that pans out, won't really be able to test that until out on track as I really don't drive like that around town lol

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,733 (Edited)
Meant to ask... now that you've put a few miles on the car, and tracked it, what is the consensus of your power steering delete?

Was perfectly fine on the track... even the wife didn't mind it at all

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,734 (Edited)
Prep for the weekend:

- Took apart the hose connections from the oil temp sensor and replaced the hose clamps with better quality ones. also used some gray TV around the hose and barbs for hopefully a mo' betta connection

- Put the methanol tank back in but i still had one thing to fix... the top was leaking fluid when it got all sloshed around

So i picked up some "make-a-gasket" stuff and made an extra gasket

Hopefully no mo' leaks under aggressive driving, we'll see !

More preparation: the after-the-day-is-through refreshments. a local brewery the source of that !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I'm picking up last minute snacks and beer tonight :D

All I have to do tom before I leave is pickup the Hoosiers. See you about 1230

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,739
From what i could tell it was leaking from the hose on the barb, not the barb in the thing you designed...

I took the hose off, cut it back a little, dabbed some gray RTV on the barb, put hose back on, used a better clamp, and let it dry overnight, so it should be all good now

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,740
So new additions to the pool of Teg parts: a set of fixed back Sparco Pro2000 Sears that can handle 5 point harnesses, so the roll bar and harness setup is back on the table

These seats were free from a friend of the wife's so that was a huge help !

5721 - 5740 of 6485 Posts