- small puddle of coolant on garage floor
- ECT's were getting close to 200 while driving highway-ish miles

The whack a mole continues

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,584 (Edited)
There is no sending unit for this gauge:

Their tech support asked me to run a multimeter across the sensor's leads and watch the values as the car warms up..... i also have a second brand new sensor if need be to try...... i don't want to have to spend $60 on a replacement gauage

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
Sensor/Sending unit, meh, same thing.

I agree on watching the sensor output while the car warms up. You can do the same thing if you pull the sensor and put it in a pan with some water on the stove in your kitchen. It might be useful to pull the sensor and put it and the backup sensor in a pan and watch both while heated. It'd be an absolute test.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,587
Sensor/Sending unit, meh, same thing
I was thinking along the lines of like my boost gauge where it has an actual "sender" box

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
Still meh, it's a sensor. The packaging doesn't change that in my not so humble opinion. Technically they're all transducers, but hey, let's not get semantic :biggrin:

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,589
Boost = back as I hooked back up the supercharger belt and took her for a little spin

still seeping a tiny bit of coolant from the backside of the head/block and can't tell from where it's coming

also a few drops of motor oil on the pan and half shaft too, also cannot tell where it is coming from.....

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,590
so the bypassed P/S passed "the wife test" last night..... she complained about it but nothing that she couldn't handle.....

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,591
Starting to get psyched for Friday's tune/dyno session......

Hope to get that oil temp gauge up and working this week before then.....

A clear 50 degree night in the forecast for tune time !!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Boost = back as I hooked back up the supercharger belt and took her for a little spin

still seeping a tiny bit of coolant from the backside of the head/block and can't tell from where it's coming

also a few drops of motor oil on the pan and half shaft too, also cannot tell where it is coming from.....
For your coolant leaks I would check the IACV and other coolant hoses attached to the crossover pipe and thermostat housing are. They could easily be the culprits as well as the fan switch sensor that screws into the side of the cyl head.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,593
I was thinking maybe it was the coolant pipe, which would be BAD because I simply can't get up there...

the last pool of coolant, albeit was just a small amount, was the driver side of the middle of the back of the block, so that would definitely be a possibility...

Sucks too because I replaced both the o-rings on each side of the coolant pipe when I put everything together

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,594
Got some time in with car tonight:

- changed oil
- used my multimeter to make sure oil temp sending is working (it is), pretty sure the gauge itself got ruined with the track incident at ViR
- looked for leaks and saw some PS fluid on the hoses going into steering rack, adjusted the clamps, hope that was it
- did compression test : 182, 181, 181, 182
- debating whether to pull out this aluminum radiator and going back to stock, my ECTs are in the mid 190's driving around, even when it's in the 40's at night here
- maybe part of above, doesn't seem like my thermostat is opening up, as the lower house was ice cold even with ECT near 190 degrees

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,598 (Edited)
Thanks for both tips of information...

I don't have the OEM thermo in mine, haven't for many years, I've got a Jackson Racing one that is supposed to open at 170.... there are two brand new ones up in a bin in the garage, just kinda ticks me off that it appears to need replacing (maybe i just have it in there backwards, is that even possible? (*edit* it definitely was in the right direction)

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,599
Just pulled out the thermo housing, cleaned off built up gunk on there, put a brand new thermo in... at some point today i'll fill her up with coolant and let her get up to temp and see what's going on

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
It def shouldn't be the rad. I run a half rad and I'm always way cooler than the standard rad. Surely it was the thermo

5581 - 5600 of 6485 Posts