Team Integra Forums banner

5001 - 5020 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,002
Now I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing @coolhandluke

this is how close my SMSP is to the transmission housing, like less than half an inch

This was the ITR "brace" i bought

Not even close :-(

but the simple cover that I got for the LS/GSR will work just fine with maybe a few adjustments

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
No I was talking about the non-R brace. The ITR brace doesn't have have a chance of clearing. Weight reduction y0! I probably won't even bother running it when I pickup a header for the 97'. I will just store it away someday in preparation for a Pebble Beach auction one day. :p

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,004
So getting my car back together...

First off under there, fluid seepage has almost gone down to nothing

Had to clean off my O2 sensor yet again... i'm pretty much certain that the piston rings are letting oil by at this point.... for now at least it's just an annoyance

Aaaaaaand lastly...... the mystery of my flywheel cover being non-existent = solved.. i'd have to guess the guy who installed my exhaust took it off because it just simply does not fit with the SMSP in the way... ah well

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,005

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Aaaaaaand lastly...... the mystery of my flywheel cover being non-existent = solved.. i'd have to guess the guy who installed my exhaust took it off because it just simply does not fit with the SMSP in the way... ah well

Does the cover have to have the contoured OEM shape or might a flat cover fit without touching the flywheel? It looks like a custom L shaped cover might fit if you could fabricate it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
A flat cover would technically fit, but then there would be no space or area for any clutch dust and/or oil (from a possible bad rear main) to drip out.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I wish I could picture what you mean
Refering to the photo below, could a cover be made where the highlighted section is not raised up? It would be flat, the same as the surface with the mounting holes. The fold at the bottom right side of the part in the image might extend left across the bottom, hence the "L" shape.

All I've seen are your photos, so I don't have a full understanding of the clearances involved.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
A square cut out could still be added to allow fluids to drip out.
True, but I'm just wondering if that would work effectively...it kind of looks like the beveled section is engineered to collect dust/oil and the drip tube to let that collection drain over time. If it's just flat, where would it accumulate before dripping out? I'm thinking it would possibly just back up to the flywheel/clutch.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It also couldn't be flat because it wouldn't clear the flywheel, the fly wheel sticks "out" from the sealing surface of the tranny case. Hence the "offset" of the cover.
I would believe that's why it's offset, I don't think it has anything to do with fluid draining. Just a hole at the bottom would allow fluid to drain properly.

Steve does your flywheel overhang? If so all this talk about a flat plate won't work in your case.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,018 (Edited)
Well, I haven't had one on there for 7+ years now, just something that has become a little voice in my head considering something could get picked up on the track and gum up the works up there.

====================

Drove the car yesterday for the first time with the new springs in there... WOW, between these and the new motor mounts the ride is h-a-r-s-h, definitely glad this isn't my daily car..... can't wait to put them to task out on the track !

====================

Man, i don't know why these previous set of springs haven't sold already, it's not like I am trying to gouge anyone :-(

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah, I had put the flywheel cover on for peace of mind. I also park in a gravel lot at work, so I don't want anything kicked up in there. As far as selling the springs go, I know the feeling of trying to sell parts...seems like it takes forever lol.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Man, i don't know why these previous set of springs haven't sold already, it's not like I am trying to gouge anyone :-(
I'm gonna guess it's because they're OTS rates, without sleeves, which GC does not want to sell separately. From their FAQ:

"HOW CAN I GET REPLACEMENT PARTS?

Ground Control policy regarding the sale of replacement parts:
Ground Control Suspension Systems is a company that has dedicated all of its resources to creating a system of dampers, springs, machined aluminum, bearings etc. to work together in harmony. Ground Control is willing to sell the parts to restore or repair an original Ground Control Suspension System to its original configuration and intended use. ..."

However,

"Sales of replacement parts for Ground Control Suspension Systems are evaluated on an individual basis. Proof of purchase is required, and pictures, or the physical return of some parts may be necessary. Sometimes, it may even be less expensive to buy a complete new kit if many of the parts have been lost or hijacked."

5001 - 5020 of 6485 Posts