Team Integra Forums banner

4541 - 4560 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,541
Productive lunch break putting the new toy together.... wife was like: "where the heck is this going to be stored?" lol.... my answer (of course): "not sure, but it sure is AWESOME"

It came with some pretty heavy duty plates

MOAR POWER !!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
what would work as press plates in a pinch ? (in other words: what would be available for me to get by tomorrow?)
Aside from the plates you got, we were able to use an "abandoned" set of stock rear lower control arms, to help balance the front hub assembly, along with some impact sockets. Every piece is a different balancing act, as there is not a good, substantial flat area on any arm or hub assembly from our cars. Get creative, and just make sure (1) everything is square before applying too much press pressure and (2) always be ready for stuff to go flying if you don't have it 'rigged' quite right. Was certainly a lot of trial and error when we did mine.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,545
Long weekend but productive as we had three cars all torn apart.....

K2's car got the new lugs installed on front (YAY! 20 ton press, this thing is a blast to use)

Jeff's car got it's timing belt and water pump done (stop taking off and putting on the covers dammit! lol)

My car waited until today to get worked on.... I've got a ton of pics and stuff about this weekend but i am about to leave to go visit my wife at her station for dinner, so I'm only being brief here...

Pretty much my engine is apart.... we had a little incident trying to do the valve seals and a valve slipped down into the piston chamber, so off came the head (50x harder to do with a JRSC bolted on) and we discovered some pretty serious build up on the valves.... looking to get my head tanked and stuff this week so I can get the car back together in time before Road Atlanta in a month....

Thanks sooooo much to both Jeff and Ketu for being around all weekend, had a lot of fun and learned a LOTof stuff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
Ugh. Have you been feeding your engine cheese? May I recommend an ultrasonic cleaning before a hot wash? That seemed to get a lot of gunk off of my engine parts a lot faster. And it's friendlier on the aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
:biggrin:So, what else you upgrading "as long as you're in there"

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,551
ooooh Aaron, good point ! I need to check the condition of it first, if it's broke I'll definitely replace, if it's not, I may need to hold off until I see/understand what the costs of taking care of the head are

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,552
Upgrades:

ARP head studs *maybe*, it's a problem because it means I'll have to pull out the master brake reservoir to get it all back in (with super charge pre-attached to head, no way I'm installing that again like before)

If I bought new OEM head bolts it would make life easier on reinstalling everything

Other than that decision, a new Honda head gasket and a few others gaskets/o-rings I'm good to go

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ooooh Aaron, good point ! I need to check the condition of it first, if it's broke I'll definitely replace, if it's not, I may need to hold off until I see/understand what the costs of taking care of the head are
The internet says type r mounts are slightly stiffer than the ls/gsr mounts. If you end up replacing the rear one I would look into that.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Upgrades:

If I bought new OEM head bolts it would make life easier on reinstalling everything
I'd highly highly highly recommend getting an ARP kit. It's much safer to thread the studs in by hand then on the top side torque the steel nut against the steel rod.

The stock bolts you're torquing steel bolts into aluminum threads which I hate doing. I've seen threads pull right out of the block, then you're really effd. Arp studs save you from ever having this issue as your stud is fully threaded and you load it all at once from the top side.

Meltman says: Buy an arp kit please :wink:

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,556
ARP studs = ordered
Honda OEM head gasket = ordered...

and for tony-buncha-numbers and the "while i'm there" umbrella of upgrades: HA Sport motor mounts ("street" version) = ordered

About to bring the head up to a local machine shop to get a quote..... Echlonwarrior is sending me some valve parts that will be here tomorrow

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,557
so what kind of big deal is it to remove (and of course reinstall) the resoviour for the master brake cylinder... it's going to need to come out so it's not in the way of putting on the head + JRSC combination

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
so what kind of big deal is it to remove (and of course reinstall) the resoviour for the master brake cylinder... it's going to need to come out so it's not in the way of putting on the head + JRSC combination
Just the cup? You can leave the actual cylinder bolted down or do you need to pull the whole cylinder?

If it's just the cup, use a turkey baster to suck all the fluid out of the cup, unscrew the bolt holding it and carefully remove it.

Then put it back, and re add fluid. No bleeding necessary.

4541 - 4560 of 6485 Posts