Team Integra Forums banner

4321 - 4340 of 6485 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
The supercharger not running shouldnt cause you to run lean right?
No... but an alternator not charging will.

That damn alternator has caused quite a few issues as I recall. I wonder what keeps rocking that thing loose. I remember finding the "noise" at the dragon being a loose alternator bolt. Maybe get an extra long bolt, drill a hole in it so you can put a cotter pin in?

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Doh... just realize how much of a dead horse i just beat...

Seriously though, if you can fit your hand on both the nut and bolt head of the bolt in question, you could drill it outside of the car once you know how much clearance you have. It will make removing it more of a pain, but then again, that's the point, right?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You would definitely need to get the bolts out of the car to do a "cotter pin" set up. Not to mention, drilling that Perpendicular hole with anything short of a drill press is going to be a ***** and likely will destroy the threads for the nut. Make sure you have a secure way to hold the work-piece while drilling, AND a proper size dye to run over the threads afterwords, Before trying to install the nut.

Hell after all this, lock-tite or lockwashers seem like a much better option lol.

Personal Experience? I wouldn't drill cotter pin holes unless you have done it before.

EDIT: Also keep in mind, bolts are HARD. So find a new, good drill bit

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,325
I'm going to go with a combination of lock washers and blue lock tite for now... sometime this week or next.... I'm not in any particular rush at this point

·
Registered
39 Posts
"All that stuff wiped right off, so not all too big a deal to clean off... but it's just disturbing that I'm burning oil (which I also added a 1/4 a quart last night).... it's one of those things where i SHOULD find out (compression test/etc), i just really don't wanna know."

Any chance it could be your valve seals? I'm having the same issues with fouled plugs, etc. Good luck!

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,329
this post has the story of what happened at track

Well, here is a 10 min long video of my one and only session on The FIRM on Saturday...

Apparently it was 1 min, 48 seconds in where the alternator wiggled loose and belts got shredded, because that's when the b00st went silent :-(

I was so focused on lines and the A/F gauge I didn't even notice the lack of whine (which while in the video is noticeable, it's hard to hear in the car at WOT)

GOOD NEWS about this video, my little 30 cent metal L-bracket sure did the trick in stabilizing the bumper/GoPro mount, I'm extremely happy with that addition that just took a few minutes

btw, best part of a completely "open track day" like this is heading down the final straight away you can decide right then and there "another lap or come in?"... it's awesome to have that flexibility

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,330

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,331
Got my stock of belts in today.... 2 extra alt belts, and 2 SC belts.... one to put on now, one for extra-ness

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,334
I'm trying to talk to wife into coming to Road Atl with me, as she could drive Novice and I could drive Intermediate...

I think because of this I am going to leave the power steering alone/intact for now.... not that I don't think she could handle lack of p/s, but fighting the steering would just be one less thing to need to think about out there

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
after dailying my b20 for a few months w no ps id never go back. but there was a lot of parallel parking and parking decks in tally..... ive always liked the feel of PS. guess its a personal thing

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,338
So car updates:

- Wife is indeed going to Road Atlanta with me and running in the Novice class, that'll be fun

- Putting all the belts on tonight and/or tomorrow and get the car back to full operational status

- Waiting for my subframe brace and sway bar to get here, UPS tracking says it'll be here Weds

- Yesterday I purchased a Z-10 front traction bar setup from DPancoast (thanks man!) so my car will have full on major suspension upgrades before her next track event

- Also picked up a nice "Ram Mount" setup for my iPhone so I can run this excellent iPhone app on track: Harry's Lap Timer

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Cant wait to see how the Godspeed set up works. Havent heard much about it but looks like a decent kit.

Make sure you have some blocks/ramps or something handy to set under the tires when you do the final torquing of the sway bar. That was the part that was the hardest for me since I didnt have any. Thankfully my car isnt too low and im pretty skinny lol.

4321 - 4340 of 6485 Posts