Team Integra Forums banner

3421 - 3440 of 6485 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
::: arrggghhh :::

So i have been having a problem for a while where sometimes when I go to start, I get nothing......

turning the key to "Start" i get a click, but then nada..... usually i let the clutch out and in 5-6 times it'll catch and start up.....

So i was thinking "Main Relay" and had used a $25 coupon I had to buy a new one... got it in the other day, just put it in today and right away, same problem :-(

it *only* happens when the car has been sitting for a while, but I had just drove the car on Wednesday and was this happened to me just today, 3 days shouldn't have been enough to bring down the battery that much for it to happy... ah well.....
Had the same issue with my turbo teg....exactly as you described...I think it ended up being the ignition switch relay...i'm not positive on that as it was so long ago...I hope I'm using the right term...

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,423
Also check the adjustment on the clutch start switch
indeed i did! i adjusted that "closer" to the pedal when i did the relay....

I'll check those connections to the starter next

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
Same issue with my car... no clue what it is.

David had the issue in his Integra, and did the Toyota parts starter rebuild, which made it work again. But then we used that starter when doing the engine swap, figuring the rebuilt one would last longer than my old one. Well, it ended up having the same problems within a year or two.

There's a procedure in the Helms for troubleshooting starting system, but we've done it on multiple occasions and come up with different/conflicting/inconclusive results :rolleyes:, but maybe it will be more revealing for you.

Have you ever replaced and/or rebuilt that starter?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,425
Never have.....

My issue does have one glaring constant though: it *only* happens when the car has been sitting for a while, I can't think of one instance of it happening when the car is warm and charged up from driving around

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,426
So today before I pulled out the GSR to wash (i found the missing Wolfgang, yes!!), i checked that the solenoid wires and the ground were tight on the starter... they were fine

Got in the car and she fired right up........

This leads me to believe that, yet again, my battery is being problematic and the starting issue is a matter of voltage and not enough of it.....

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
So today before I pulled out the GSR to wash (i found the missing Wolfgang, yes!!), i checked that the solenoid wires and the ground were tight on the starter... they were

Got in the car and she fired right up........

This leads me to believe that, yet again, my battery is being problematic and the starting issue is a matter of voltage and not enough of it.....
Ugh. You've had battery issues for as long as I can recall. Frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I drive the car so little in the past 5-6 years
I will probably be in same boat...Monday thru Friday is a wash because of work and my weekends are packed too...I just look forward to wrenching a car again.

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
My Optima Yellow did that to me off and on for a couple of months before one of the 6 cells isht the bed, and I got stuck in battery warranty hell. (measured fine no load, took a charge, but under load dropped to 0.2V).

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,433
the Optima I bought years ago did the same thing.... I'll never buy one of those overhyped/overpriced POS-es again

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
My buddy has had nothing but trouble with yellow top optimas

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I "almost" went the Optima route... the Duralast Gold that was in mine finally bit it this past January. After talking with the prior owner, and looking at the stickers, the prior battery was installed in 2005... I went with the same replacement, roughly $115.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Duralast gold ftw, not the best battery out there but it gets the job done starting a Honda and they have a good warranty, granted I work for autozone and I dont know if they changed it in your region but in the MD region they dropped them from 8 yr warranties to 5 yrs

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,438
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, i'll never be buying another one of those pieces of junk again...

=========

So *something* is still up with my driver side wheel area..... i still need to poke around at the upper ball joints and other areas to see if anything if loose or needs replacing....

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, i'll never be buying another one of those pieces of junk again...

=========

So *something* is still up with my driver side wheel area..... i still need to poke around at the upper ball joints and other areas to see if anything if loose or needs replacing....
What are the Symptoms Steve?

·
Super Moderator
5,714 Posts
I've got a gold duralast in the teg and its been better then any battery I've had. Drove the car home 25 miles on just the battery after the alternator belt shredded itself doing pulls . After I got a new belt on it and went to start it the next day it started up no problem as if the battery had been fully charged...

3421 - 3440 of 6485 Posts