Team Integra Forums banner

3041 - 3060 of 6485 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,041
Oil cooler install: 1
Me: 0

Thought i had a fresh jug of oil and popped the top, and it was old dirty oil... doh!

Ran up to AutoZone and picked up some fresh oil, put it in, and fired up the car and a DISASTER was what i made

Stopped the car immediately, and cleaned up as quick as i could to get my head up in there to investigate... unfortunately i couldn't tell the cause....

:: sigh :: what a love/hate relationship i possess with my car sometimes

Attachments

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Please tell me that is not a plastic line
It is a Nylon line used with mechanical Oil Pressure gauges. Its very thick, let me rephrase that.. Ridiculously thick. Lots of name brand Mechanical gauges use it with a Ferrule style fitting that seals both ends at the gauge and the fitting. It has been used on gauges for years, its strong stuff.

EDIT: YIKES Steve! That does not look good. But I am betting its one of the sandwich plates. That is way too much oil in that amount of time for a leaky fitting.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,044
the oil cooler plate o-ring is *definitely* there and in the correct place

I tightened all the brass fittings as tight as I possibly could

the oil filter is screwed on hand tight like i've always done

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The fittings all look to be in plenty, and correctly with tape.

I would say pull the plates and check the o-rings again. One of them may have slipped or got pinched the wrong way or something.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,046
So trying to diagnose this....

I had put the oil filter on by hand.... it was so "on there" that after 10 mins of trying to get it off by hand I had to go to AutoZone to get an oil filter removal tool

Got the filter off, the o-ring on that looked fine

Then got up there and took off the center bolt thingy that holds on the cooler's sandwich plate, as you can see, the o-ring on this looks fine *and* is in place

I really don't know where to go from here... the (previous) Glowshift plate for my gauges hasn't moved, it's tightly in place and that shouldn't be the problem

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,047
Oil cooler install: 2
Me: 0

So took everything apart, checked tightness, the teflon tape, clearances, etc etc.... and put it all back together with a new oil filter, a Fram one this time (which is usually what i use since they are easier to put on because of the "grip" stuff they put on the end of them)..

Fired up the car..... got out quick and looked under.... oil spewing again....

quickly turned off car and scooted under the car and got a better indication of where the oil was coming from, which was from the top right-ish side of the seam between the filter and the oil cooler plate... so that got me thinking

the inside seal ring of the filter *apparently* is not large enough to cover the oil cooler sandwich's needed radius for a clean and full seal... i really can't explain this but I hope this picture does

so the 2 squared off corners of the sandwich's opening are exposed to the outside-the-o-ring part of the oil filter......

I'm hoping that I can go up to AutoZone and find another filter that has a larger interior opening but not too large that it will seal *AND* more importantly the filter itself will fit in the limited space that my car presents... shopping for this would be soooooo much easier with the sandwich plate in my hands, but i'm not taking all that apart again... i guess i should at least get the Fram filter off and then i can get a circumference measurement of the plate

** EDIT: a larger oil filter did indeed work, sealed up against that sandwich plate great !! **

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,050
That can't happen I'm 99% sure as the way the oil lines and sensor outputs are it can't work the opposite way

Just spent 30 mins in AZ going through every single Fram filter they had first checking that the 20mm threads fit and then measuring for a larger opening from the o-ring, came back with these two on the right

Both fit both criteria, it's just a matter of which may work, going to try the bigger one first as its a full 1/2" bigger an opening... the smaller filter will give me an 1/8" bigger opening

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,051
The bigger (PH3950) filter is on, fired up the car, no oil seapage, none

*BUT* something new shows its ugly head... I can't identity it by color, texture, or smell

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,052
****ing game of whack-a-mole

Me: 1 (!!!)

Oil issue fixed, the stuff dripping above is a newly found gas leak from the line running out of my fuel pressure regulator, it's been rubbing on something and broke through

Integra issues: lost count
Me: also lost count, lol

·
Registered
943 Posts
****ing game of whack-a-mole

Me: 1 (!!!)

Oil issue fixed, the stuff dripping above is a newly found gas leak from the line running into my fuel pressure regulator, it's been rubbing on something and broke through

Integra issues: lost count
Me: also lost count, lol

Ha, aint that somethin'. I never heard of a problem like this but its always good too know something new!:thumbs_up: Glad you got the problem solved:beer:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
damn steve. hats off to you my friend. I have been there many times. nice to see there are others that dont give up.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,056
the gas line issue was something that K2 noticed a few months back when we initially put in my meth kit... he was up there working and noticed some wear against the hose.... but at that point it didn't leak..... ah well.... easy and cheap enough fix..

I've had enough of the car tonight, still need to re-mount the oil cooler radiator and put the front bumper back on..... then drive the car to see if i can see the payoff !)

When i was waiting for oil to drain earlier, i spent a bit getting my headlights cleaned up with the Rainx kit

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,059
rain x ftw! glad you got that fuel line caught though. could have been a disaster
indeed ! at least it was a quick, easy, and cheap fix :)

=======

So drove the car around, stayed out of boost since I was mainly looking for good oil pressure and making sure I didn't have any leaks... oil temps topped out at 205 degrees, 15 degrees better than the 220 I normally would get cruising around town..... I may go out for a "spirited" drive later on to see how the oil temps do in b00stz... hmmm, i should involve some highway driving too to see if faster = more air flow = lower temps

Here are a few more pics of the install:

Radiator mounted:

===========

Also had my OEM strut bar in the attic that I brought down... putting it on in it's supposed-to-be-position wasn't going to work since my FPR gets in the way (thanks to the Jackson IM), so I made some modifications (on the bench grinder, woohoo!) to it so i could flip it around and get it on there.... i had a Spoon one on there before the JRSC install, i sadly just put it up for sale

Attachments

3041 - 3060 of 6485 Posts