Team Integra Forums banner

2641 - 2660 of 6485 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome build man and i love the table of contents! Maybe after i get some mods on my teggy we can meet up, but shes super stock right now. Im in west palm!

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
Torn boot...replace the inners along with the outers. It'll be better to do them both at the same time.

Do you know how to string your car? That'll get the alignment pretty close.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,650
i've seen it done, that's about it for string alignment

it doesn't matter anyways, i still have like 4-5 months left where a shop will do it for no charge

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,651
Was going to spend some more time, in the dark mind you, trying to get that lug off using some PB Blaster and vice grips.... but alas, i cannot find the PB Blaster, so i'll go back to f---ing with it in the morning

Just put the other three wheels/tires on, while i was there, addressed this Melt suggestion:

Do the "push pull" like you're trying to steer that one wheel of the car. Is there play? If yes, watch the outer joint. If it's solid it's the inner joint.
so i had the passenger front tire up off the ground, grabbed the wheel/tire like a steering wheel and moved it left and right, there was *some* play

Sorry, I didn't take a close enough look at the pic. While your ends look fine, the apparent PS fluid leak is a concern.
I'm lost... the boots on the tie rods are completely ripped apart.... do you mean like the metal itself looks fine? I am looking at the whole assembly as one piece/part

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,652
So last night, no go on the PB Blaster and what i have on hand: no go

this morning I got up, had an appt to get my daily driver's oil change at 7 am, after taking care of that I hit up AutoZone and picked up the outer tie rods, inner tie rods, and the boots as well as a few other parts like a crush washer for the oil drain plug...

got home, one last try on the lug nut, nope... drained the oil, put the crush washer on and re-oiled up

after that I drove the GSR to the nearest Tire Kingdom to talk to them about what happened, what they maybe could do, which in the end ended up being nothing... three different people who worked there looked at it and were like "**** that", heh (hey, matched what I was saying!)... anyways, the manager there said "go to this shop down the road, if anyone can get it off, they can"

headed down towards there, starts raining pretty good, so when i get there i pretty much just got waved into an open bay at the shop... talked to the shop manager who let me pull in, he looked at it and cringed and then called over one of the mechanics there

that guy walks up and looks at it as asks "who the heck did that?", i answered that it was me, and he's like "no worries, i can get that off" (call me intrigued!!)

he comes back with an allen key socket thing like I already had, except a few sizes bigger, and absolutely positively beat the **** out of it into the stripped lug with a big ****ing hammer, then took his big ratchet and SWEET, got it off ! to note, doing what he did was suggested in the topic I made in the Wheel/Tire forum but (1) i didn't have a set of said big f-in allen keys and (2) there is NO WAY in hell I would have ever beaten that thing in so hard on my car, lol

anyway, shop manager told me to just pay him what I wanted directly, so i slipped him $40, well well well worth it if you asked me, as this has been a source of extreme frustration for over a week now... right there in the shop I put on one of the new Gorilla lugs i had in the car

got home, pulled that rim/tire off, the tire was absolutely SHOT to hell.... noticed more pretty extreme rubbing inside the wheel well

so know what? **** it, i loosened up the collar on the ground controls and turned them three full turns "up", I'm tired of eating up tires

so now i start to look at the tie rods, and look, and analyze, and look some more....

in the end, I decided that I wasn't comfortable doing the install of those all by myself, I simply have never done anything like that and the whole assembly is such an important part of the car's operation that if I got into it and got stuck, the car wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon (and I have a TON of stuff going on right now, including the Dragon Run approaching)

put the wheel with the new tire from yesterday on there and since it wasn't even 5 pm yet, i wanted to go see if a different local shop to me that's worked on the Teg before, and is right down the street, could mount one of my still-in-excellent-shape "old tires" onto this rim I just got off the car... got a quote of $20 to do it but it might be tomorrow morning before I could pick it up... that was fine by me...

as I was signing the work order I just brought up "how much to install tie rods".... i got quoted $90 to do all 4 of them + the boots (which I have all 6 pieces on hand already), so I am just going to go there in the morning to have them installed.... then i'll drive right up to shop where I still am inside my window to get the car aligned... then I should be allllll good on the wheel/tire/suspension area for the trip up and back to NC (although I still have to raise the back of the car up to match the front, guess i'll be getting up super early to do that before this work needed)

anyways, glad the lug nut issue is behind me, hopefully by lunch time tomorrow my tie rod issues with be too :)

I hoped for time to start the injection kit installation, but alas, no time today

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,657
Here is my car's current stance, I hate how high it is, but damn, trying to get through tire wear issues

Besides, in two weeks I'll also have the car loaded down with Dragon Run stuff PLUS be towing a motorcycle and all her related stuff, I'm sure sitting a little higher will help out in that regard

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
That is an awesome price for labor on all 4 joints! Definitely worth 90 bucks instead of doing it yourself. I would have done the same thing lol, specially with dragon so close. Car looks great steve!

·
Super Moderator
3,244 Posts
Excellent price for both ends on both sides. All the quotes I got were over $150, so I broke out the big wrenches and did it myself. Honestly, there's nothing complicated about it, but you're right, it is critical, and not having a spare car makes it kinda risky. For future reference, the only issue I had was getting enough muscle behind the wrench to get the inners dislodged. It ended up takend 2 big wrenches, PB Blaster, and a lunch break for it to soak in.

2641 - 2660 of 6485 Posts