Team Integra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 464 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
i'm liking the way she's looking! did you decide to ditch the body kit?
I've just about decided to abandon the body kit. I've got a few other subtle ideas that I'm going to do to the body before it gets painted, but won't be anything drastic.

Next projects, carpet, re-cover seats, stereo head unit, and rust removal...

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Took the teg up yesterday to get it tinted. Wound up going with 20% on the front doors, and 5% on the back 3 windows and a 5% windshield visor. Its funny on these hatchbacks how much a dark back window influences the appeared tint level of the side windows. I'm really digging how it turned out.

Question... while in the shop, I gave a hand to the guy actually doing the work, and volunteered to remove all of the hatch trim to make it easier to access the back glass (for which he was very thankful). While I have it off (plan to wait until next week to re-install), is there anything I ought to do while I have the panels out of the way? I thought about the wiper delete, but I actually like having it back there (for dew / frost / snow removal). Didn't know if there was any benefit to a sound deadener or something else?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Tint looks great

as for sound deadening, it will help if those panels "buzz", but if you don't have the problem, don't fix it :)

as for wiper delete..... main thing is whether or not you use it or not, sounds like you do, so I'd suggest leaving it be

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Don't have too many updates to share. Work and family life have kept me rather busy. After I broke the new clutch in for roughly 500 miles, my son and I took a vacation to South Carolina and back. The Integra rode like new, between the clutch, suspension and bushings, it's very comfortable on the road now.

I do have some wierd rattle / grinding noise that's just recently started, and only appears to happen right around the 2k RPM mark. I hope to diagnose that this weekend. It's wierd, only seems to happen for roughly a 250 RPM window, which is right about where the car wants to sit to warm up when its cold. You definitely can hear it inside the car, and it is rather loud outside the car. Noise persists when I'm driving, only in that RPM range. Pressing / Releasing the clutch makes no difference, makes no difference if the car is in gear or loose. From an initial check, it seems it's on the transmission side of the engine bay, but I could be wrong. Lower and higher RPMs make absolutely no hint of the noise.

Last night I installed a set of knock-off OEM style fog lights on the car. I got the yellow lens housings, and 3000k 35w HID bulbs for them. I think they complement the 6000k HID headlights rather nicely. I'll try to snag some better pictures soon. I did manage to integrate two relays for the fogs, so that the combination of a switch, the ignition, and the parking light circuit all have to be on for the fogs to turn on. I wanted to avoid "flashing" the fog lights every time I locked / unlocked my car, as my Viper alarm fires the parking light circuit for these events.

Also, while I had the bumper cover off, I finally got around to "tweaking" my front bumper. I think the previous owner had bumped into something, or ran up on a couple of curb stops a few times. It knocked the lower half of the front bumper on the passenger side slightly out of alignment with the upper half. Took quite a bit of effort, and a few extra screws, but it's much closer now to how it should be.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Love the yellow fogs
This might sound wierd since anytime I've had a resonator rattle with an Integra it was at idle but I did have a 04 trailblazer for a while and only in second gear while slowing down there was a rattle that I swore was transmission related but was later diagnosed as the resonator
This may or may not be your problem but at the least I hope it's exhaust related or a loose bracket or something

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Very confident its not exhaust related (appreciate the thought though). I might have 7-8k miles on the current exhaust setup (new from header to muffler tip). Sound is really hard to explain, almost sounds like a tensioner pulley, or a bearing in the transmission housing. Just really strange of how narrow of a band the rattle is.

I just haven't had the time to get my head under the hood when it's been doing it "on its own". I'm going to have a buddy come help me this weekend, atleast he can fluctuate the gas while I poke around under neath and narrow down the source.

Thanks for the notes on the fogs. I had a hell of a time getting them to align right, and getting them to seat right in the bumper. I guess that's what you get for a $50 knock off.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
In the last week, I managed to get my fuel filter replaced, and fix some nagging issues with my alarm. I'm very happy to be able to remote start it again with the cold weather on its way.

With my car approaching 230k miles, getting my $hit together for a motor rebuild is creeping up on my list. My current motor is still running strong, its just starting to drink oil. I have some decisions to make and research to do, but I'm leaning toward a high-compression all-motor B20 VTEC setup.

I rode up to Cincinnati this weekend, and picked up a gem I found on Craigslist. I need to find a few pictures, but I picked up a complete, clean, GSR Head, for $300. Its been hot-tanked, new seals, etc, so it should be in great shape for my pending rebuild. I'll throw some pics up of it later on today.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Very nice on the head pick up. I got a 100% complete GSR head for $200 but it needed quite the "Refresh", around $280 after new seals and a 3 angle job.

Love this car man! It reminds me of my original 96 LS, that was white, identical interior.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Still haven't gotten a chance to snag pics of the head. It's stuffed in a box and has since gotten buried with everything else in a corner of the garage. With the holidays coming, and a crap load of work travel starting in January, I doubt I'll have any sizable updates for a couple of months.

I did pick up an intake last week. I'd held off on this, as I wasn't sure if I was going to build something NA or FI. I've convinced myself to build a solid B20-VTEC setup. With all of my coming work travel, I'll be wearing out our mileage reimbursement, which should get me making a ton of progress come spring time.

When I installed the alarm, I gutted all the "intake crap" from the fender. Shortly there-after I installed a Spectre filter on the stock intake tube, which bought me some time until I figured out a more permanent solution. I may wind up putting the Spectre filter on the AEM tube, just need to sleeve it so I can snug it down a bit better.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Not too many updates on the Teg... between this wicked Winter, and work travel ramping up, car hasn't gotten much attention. Priorities are changing a bit, I want to replace the head unit, and get some stiffer springs with extended top hats thrown on. I'm regretting not going with the complete "Honda Tech" deal that was previously suggested, but am looking forward to getting the suspension right. Right now, hitting hard bumps is quite a jarring experience (I'm blaming that on the lower spring rates), and the ride overall is quite bouncy (which I'm sure I could adjust on the Koni's). I've found its a losing battle with the adjustments at my current spring rates lowered where I'm sitting. Ride got "worse" with the new bushings I installed, which makes sense since everything's all stiffened up now.

However, I'm pretty stoked about my pickup tonight, which nearly completes my hand tool collection. I managed to secure a 540 pc Mechanics Tool Set (identical one below), new in box (tools still in the plastic bags) from a local CL post for $400 !!! All of a sudden I need more socket and wrench trays.

540 pc Mechanics Tool Set: Car Fixers Shop at Sears

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Car is currently under going some surgery today, getting a new radio, legend steering wheel controls, and interior mount antenna. Will post up some pics of the "special" stuff we did once I get everything all buttoned up. Also, if anyone has interest, I have a functional factory tape deck with the add on CD player, factory demo cassette tape, and code card that I can certainly put up for grabs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
So is an aftermarket radio getting interfaced with the steering controls?

We have three cars that I drive, the Teg is the only one w/o steering controls, drives me nuts when I go looking for them, lol

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
So I hit a bit of a wall this evening, between exhausting daylight, and frustration levels, so decided to step back, prod the group for opinions (in another post here... http://www.team-integra.net/forum/17-audio-security-electrical/266866-steering-wheel-controls.html#post2915778).

What I was successful with (and the very easy part...)
1) Installed new radio
DEH-X9600BHS - <b>NEW!</b> - CD Receiver with Full-Dot LCD Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, and SiriusXM Ready | Pioneer Electronics USA

2) Installed new interior mount antenna
Metra Amplified AMFM Radio Antenna Adapter 44-UA205 - Best Buy

3) Added a second flush mount USB port
Amazon.com: PAC USBCBL 6-Feet USB Cable with Mounting Bracket: Car Electronics

So far, love the radio. The 3x 4v preouts are awesome to my amps, and bluetooth integration is sweet. I mounted the bluetooth mic adjacent to the drivers visor, at the top of the A-pillar, so it is out of the way, and doesn't look too out of place.

I had an existing flush mount USB, intended to use for the incoming radio. I had also mounted a flush mount AUX port, assuming my new radio would have a rear AUX input, but the 9600 does not. So I got another flush mount USB, and hard wired a USB charger under the center console, replacing the flush mount AUX port. I now have one USB interfaced to the radio, and one USB strictly for charging, one on either side of my emergency brake. The secondary USB from the radio has an extension cable run into my glove box, so I can throw a USB stick or something should I want to keep music on tap without screwing with my phones. So far, the bluetooth streaming is addicting.

The antenna I've heard a lot of hit or miss, but figured I'd give it a shot. I've currently got it tucked just inside of the front of the headliner (at the top of the windshield on the passenger side), so it is 100% out of sight, and so far seems to be having no issue getting a signal. It is able to pick up the local HD stations and other analog stations without issue. I've got some other mount locations in mind should reception start becoming an issue.

I ran out of daylight before I could snag good pictures, but will take some and post them up tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Well done. I think the key for those of us with Pioneer radios who want one-wire compatibility with the Legend controls is the PAC SWI-PS and its white wire. It can auto-learn resistor-buttons-on-a-wire controls and speak Pioneer remote language it seems. Handy.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
wow, just went trhough the entire thread and gotta say wasnt to sure on the body kit but everything else ive been on board with and the car really is coming along nicely and looks good.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
So far, the bluetooth streaming is addicting
it sure is an awesome technology.... I've actually been throwing around the idea of ditching my Pioneer radio (it's a MUCH older model, "D3") all together and using nothing but my Kinovo BT adapter as a source, and wire that into a potentiometer to control volume to my amps and call it a day... actually, instead of a potentiometer use legend controls.. oooh that'd be a very nice

then i can fill the double DIN opening with one of these

61 - 80 of 464 Posts