Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 464 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Weather in KY hasn't been all that pleasant lately, but have a few updates to share.

I fixed my fart can exhaust issue, by snagging a 07 Si Axle back off of Craigslist for $30. The sound of silence is awesome compared to the drone I was fighting before.

Also did some work recently in the trunk. The prior owner had replaced the original trunk board after dealing with the typical leaks in the trunk area. It had since cracked and became quite flimsy. Since I was pursuing my audio setup, I figured now would be a good time to put a new floor down.

I started with 5/8" Particleboard, and cut it to form fit the entire hatch area. I also cut out a "door" to hinge for the spare tire well. Once cut, I sealed it with multiple coats of polyurethane to seal it, and then coated with a flat black paint. Finally wrapped it in black carpet, and applied a foam weather strip all the way around the perimeter to kill any vibrations from it against the panels.

I picked up a Pioneer slim-mount 12" sub, a 2-channel amp to run the sub, and a 4-channel amp for my interior speakers. I fabricated and wrapped a shelf for the amps in the same carpet, and the sub box is "almost" the same color and texture. Equipment is mounted, just need a few hours to wrap up getting the cables hooked up.

Projects for the next couple of weeks...
1) I'm going to dye the carpet that snaps into the back of the rear seats jet black, so will have some consistency there (hence the nakedness in the pics).
2) I picked up some fabric to re-wrap the door inserts and center console.
3) Exciting part, Koni Yellows were delivered yesterday. Have front bearings and CV Axles. I'm waiting on the Ground Control coil overs to show up, and then it'll be time to tear into it.
4) Waiting on a delivery from Delray Acura. Ordered a handful of misc. pieces and parts, including a new clutch fluid tank. Once that arrives I'll be replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders. More on those parts when they get here.

Here are a couple of pictures from the trunk project. I'll take some better pics this weekend when I have better light and a better camera.

Didn't take pics during the cutting / measuring / fitting / initial coating. Pictures started with my side kick painting it black for me...

And now wrapped in carpet...

I couldn't get a good picture with the lid closed, will add this weekend.

Audio Equipment - 12" Slim Mount Sub, in down-firing enclosure.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Happy Easter TI... I need to get off my chair soon and get a Ham started...

Been a very busy and productive 3-day weekend for me, lots of "minor" updates on the car... I'm going to break these into a couple of sections for my sanity...

1) Audio Install - I had previously posted pictures up of the new trunk floor and related. I spent the better part of Friday and Saturday getting all the cables ran, including new speaker wire direct from the Amp to the rear panels and into the front doors. "Z" was not kidding this is an absolute b***h with his article, for getting the cables snaked through the factory boots. I did manage to get 14 GA wire extended through the factory boot, drilled through the door molex, and landed to the speaker without damaging anything else. I think I'm with the rest of the team here, I will not be so enthusiastic about doing this again. So now I'm waiting on the final wire to show up. I have all speaker wire run and terminated, and RCA's behind the head unit. Just need that stretch of 4 GA wire to run from the battery to the distribution block at the amps. Hope to wrap that up Tuesday.

2) Clutch Master and Slave cylinders. I was actually surprised how reasonable these were at AutoZone. The master was leaking, and had been for quite some time. I can't say the slave was bad, but figured while I was doing one and bleeding the system, might as well do both. As I was putting an order in from Delray for a handful of misc. pieces and parts, I figured I'd "revamp" the fluid reservoir, and replace all new with OEM. I can tell an incredible difference now with the clutch feel. I think between the old master cylinder leaking, and being out of adjustment, it hadn't been right for quite some time.

3) Trimmed down the former trunk carpet, and have just the overlay for the rear seats cleaned up, and soaking in dye now. Hopefully here in the next day or two can rinse it, dry it, and will complete the hatch.

4) I still have the arm rest and door panels out of the car, and hope to get the inserts re-wrapped / re-covered between today / tomorrow.

5) Also as part of the Delray order, got in the new plastic sleeve and dust seal for the shifter. I recently threw in a new B&M Short Shifter, but destroyed the rubber boot seal when transferring it from the old to the new. Hopefully can get replaced this week also.

Still waiting on the Ground Control setup to arrive, so can get the suspension done, and axles & bearings replaced.

Now for a few pics...
Stereo almost done

OEM Goodies

Old v. New - Map Light Cover

Old v. New - Dome Light Cover

Old v. New - Washer Fluid Cap

Old v. New - Clutch Master Cylinder

Old v. New - Clutch Slave Cylinder

Old v. New - Clutch Fluid Reservoir

Rear seat cover - dye in progress

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Sunday evening my wife and I were able to finish wrapping a couple of the interior panels. It didn't turn out perfect, but I think looks considerably better, cleaner, and more consistent. I'll probably revisit this sometime down the road, but I'm happy with it for now.

Monday I pulled the carpet carpet cover for the back of the rear seats out of the dye and rinsed it off. It was dry by Tuesday, so installed Tuesday night.

Somewhere in this time period the last piece of wire needed for the audio setup arrived, so got that wrapped up Tuesday as well. I still need to tweak the amps a bit, but wow it sounds so much better. That sub for being so slim and compact is an amazing little piece of hardware.

I'm still waiting for the GC sleeves to show up (fingers crossed this week?). It really sucks having the Koni's and axles sitting on the shelf for over a week, waiting on the final component.

Hopefully more to update soon...

Driver's Door Insert

Passenger + Arm rest

Dried Carpet, comparing the original trunk floor to what was dyed to cover the rear of the seats.

And a closer look

Installed

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So all of my long awaited parts finally arrived, which turned into a busy weekend for me. Thanks to all the tips and tricks on this forum, everything went relatively smooth. We managed not to break anything, and were able to get everything assembled, replaced as I had wanted. Biggest complaint of the whole weekend was popping the driver side CV axle loose.

Ground Control Setup w/ Koni Yellows (using stock upper mounts)
CV Axles
Front Bearings + Hubs
Tie Rods
Ball Joints

I have a bit of adjusting to do with the height of the springs and rate of the struts, but rides considerably better than the worn out stock setup did. I figure give I'll it a few days of weight on the suspension, tweak it, and hopefully next week I'll take it up for an alignment.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Aaron,

if you want your photobucket pics to work (no one, but maybe you, can see the pics)

you need to use this feature on their site

Attachments

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
i see the pics with no issue.....

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Aaron,

if you want your photobucket pics to work (no one, but maybe you, can see the pics)

you need to use this feature on their site

Thank you... I'm working on updating prior posts. It appears Photobucket (recently?) changed their IMG sharing tags, or atleast they way the shared the links to the quick copy. The last post with the springs/struts had the code exactly as you depicted.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
great choice on the suspension!
Thank you... I decided to go with a lower spring rate (230 / 200), so just a hair stiffer than stock. I'm not intending to religiously track the car, but more of a fun secondary vehicle. More often than not, this will be used for trips from KY to SC and back, so comfort for more than 10 min rides is important to me. I figure for me, the planned upgrades to the sway and strut bars will make a bigger difference than stiff springs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Honestly my factory ground control rates (380f, 250r) rode just as comfortable as the stock gsr springs just firmer. I wish I had gone a bit stiffer but hey I cant complain.

Also, a stiff spring is imperative for having a lowered ride height. You will find out really quick how soft springs support the weight of the car once you are low and have soft rates. You could be bottoming out your control arms or struts over big bumps and manhole covers.

But spring rates are a much bigger player than sway bars. Sway bars should be used to fine tune the under/oversteer characteristics.

The rebound adjustability on the koni yellow can go from a stock like feel to a stiff ass rebound where you are sucked to the ground after every bump. You can really feel what I am saying when you go over a speed bump with the koni's set on full stiff.

The difference between strut rebound/compression stiffness and spring stiffness is quite different. It is hard to explain but once you experiment with different setups you will understand.

Strut bars and subframe braces are for increasing chassis rigidity. They do not control over/understeer.

I would highly recommend the asr rear subframer brace with their 24mm rear sway bar. This will tighten up the ass end and get rid of the factory understeer.

Another bonus of the ground controls; the front and rear springs are interchangeable. If in the future you feel that the rates you chose are too soft you can put your front 230's on the back and get some 380's or 400's for the front.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Can't believe its been 3 months since I've posted an update... Work has kept me pretty busy, and there's no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

I've continued to pick away at some of the nagging maintenance items, and am getting a better plan together for what's coming next.

I finally got the suspension dialed in to what's comfortable for me, and a ride height I think looks decent. I recently drove the car from Lexington KY down to Columbia SC and back, what a difference it was with a good suspension setup and a tolerable muffler (07 Civic Si Axle Back with a chrome turn down). Prior trips with the car were on the shot factory suspension, an annoying a$$ fart can hanging off the back, and a shot factory stereo.

I also added a 6000K HID Kit and wired in a relay harness at the same time, to eliminate the potenial for any flicker. I did locate a handy ballast bracket on Amazon, which made mounting everything a piece of cake. Install looks clean, and headlights are oh so much better.

Stereo wise, I'm still running the factory head unit. For now, I have the factory deck running the speaker level inputs to the amp. I also added an Aux In flush mount, and a USB flush mount next to the e-brake. The Aux In goes through a few "Y's" to the amp's inputs, and sounds pretty good off my iPod. For now, the USB flush mount is mounted to a charger hidden under the console. Once I decide on a head-unit, both these jacks will be interfaced directly to the new deck.

Around the time I installed my alarm, I removed the "snorkel" of the factory intake (that routes through the fender) to accomodate the alarm horn. The filter was finally due for replacement. Instead of keeping the stock airbox, I was able to massage a Spectre filter onto the OEM intake. I know it's not the best solution, but will buy some time for me.

I also installed a new Bosch O2 sensor and a new PCV valve.

Just this past week, I replaced all 5 motor mounts with DEA replacements. The front two torque mounts and rear mount were absolutely shot. I had no real good way to look at the other two, and after removal, they didn't "look that bad", but had new ones to swap anyway. I'm assuming some "break in vibration" to the interior is normal? I can certainly tell the motor is no longer jumping around like it used to.

I ordered and installed a set of 98+ All red tails, and SMD LED bulbs to replace all of the exterior lights. The only bulb in the car not LED at this point is the license plate illumination, which will get tended to when I wrap up the body work.

I think I've finally decided to stay away from the body kit previously mentioned in this post, and will keep the car more OEM sleeper looking. I picked up a new to me rear bumper (94-97) for $20 from a local that's in phenomenal shape. Mine had a few dings and gashes where the previous owner had backed into a few things. Figure $20 will keep me from having to screw with filler on the existing one.

Next significant projects...
- I'm toying with an insert to put adjacent to the e-brake, to relocate the lock/unlock switch. I hope to put in the RS inserts in the door, and have a switch in the center console to use. Not really necessary, just something fun I figured I'd do to occupy one of the blanks. More to follow on this soon...
- Need new tires
- Clutch (have 218k on the clock now, making me nervous still running factory clutch)
- Big brake upgrade with stainless lines
- Rust removal + Paint

Pictures not in any real order...

One of the shot front mounts next to new

Old Tails

New Tails

Ride Height

Driver Side Ballast

Passenger Side Ballast

Recent Engine Bay

Center Console Ports

Center Console Ports (Installed)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Making some really nice progress with this build.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'll be ordering some digital copies of the Dragon Run in the next day or two... between all of the options, hard to narrow it down to a manageable list =)

Updates on the car, the clutch that has lasted 220k miles started to slip on me Friday afternoon. Also, the tires on the car (currently Kumho Ecsta ASX) have finally worn to the point of replacement.

So, I just placed an order for 4x 195/55R15 Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires, and have an Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch Kit enroute.

I am heading to Cincinnati this evening, to pick up a set of GSR Blades with Toyo Proxes R888 205/50/ZR15 tires.

I'm thinking I'm going to put the new daily tires on the blades, and swap the Toyo's over to my current fat-5s, to give me something with a lot more traction moving forward. The true track tires are not what I had on my list, but the price was too good to turn down, and I always liked the look of those rims.

Hopefully by the end of next week I will have my clutch and tire situation put to rest. Soon to follow (very soon) will be a new brake master cylinder and the "big brake" upgrade all the way around.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
all Dragon-worthy upgrades ! :)
My thoughts exactly... I was breaking traction quite a bit following the small group on our quick run for some BBQ, and my master cylinder has a very small "leak" (not losing fluid, but am losing pressure when 'holding' the brake pedal). Looking forward to more and better runs next year already.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice update, my torque and rear mounts are also shot but I've got inserts waiting to be put in. I'm hoping to get rid of that jerky feeling here soon as well

21 - 40 of 464 Posts