Team Integra Forums banner

301 - 320 of 464 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
There is NO WAY IN HELL I would even close to recommend stacking a Glowshift sandwich plate on top of the stock GSR oil cooler line, it'll be a ticking time bomb

I'd leave that oil cooler out

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
There is NO WAY IN HELL I would even close to recommend stacking a Glowshift sandwich plate on top of the stock GSR oil cooler line, it'll be a ticking time bomb

I'd leave that oil cooler out

Hence why we have this forum to bounce (bad) ideas against. B20 pipe for the win.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Taking full advantage of having motor + dash out of the vehicle to get some serious detail cleaning done. It makes things super easy to reroute some wires and wipe things down with absolutely nothing in your way.

I also got the Blower + Evap + Heater boxes out today, and found quite a bit of debris / dust to clean up. I've got the heater box mostly stripped apart, washed thoroughly, and is currently drying, so I can get heater core back in. Is there anything I can do to prevent leaves and debris like this from coming in, or is this about par for the course for a 20 year old car? Didn't know if maybe I could put some fresh foam seal or something in some areas to tighten things up a bit.

Certainly open to suggestions while I'm this far in.

I used this Amazon.com: Spectra Premium 94750 Heater Core: Automotive as a replacement... $32 for the heater core, priceless amount of labor involved to yank everything. But hey, I was almost that far in already.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I remember seeing that thread now, I had researched this option at one point in the past. I got the HVAC boxes back in yesterday, and all of the harnesses and extra stuff tucked and strapped down, so am not really motivated to pull it back down. I had contemplated ways to rig a filter in the mix when I had everything open to clean, but couldn't come up with anything with what I had on hand. Given the tight space we're dealing with, tucked behind the dash support, air bag, etc., I'll just leave it as is.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Few minor updates on the car. ABS and lines are gone. PS and lines are gone, and rack looped. RS Prop Valve has been mounted, with rear lines secured. Engine bay has been thoroughly cleaned. New Heater Core is in, wiring behind the dash is in and cleaned up, and dash is "back in place".

My brother is going to wrap up the interior tomorrow, getting dash secured, and all the other related stuff back in.

I'm expecting my box from Acura to come via UPS tomorrow. I should be able to finish the motor assembly tomorrow night. The box also contains the needed RS brake lines, so need to get those in and get the brakes bled (again). I'm hoping to be able to get the motor dropped back in late Wednesday, and hopefully fire it up Thursday once I get a chance for last minute sanity checks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
nice work man! replacing the heater core seems like the worst possible thing to have to do. you picked a good time to tackle it. just ripped out my abs as well along with cruise, ac, and my rack has been looped for a little while. its alarmingly stiff at first especially when the cars at rest, but once its moving it feels so much better with a little more road feel. keep up the awesome progress! its awesome that you have a little helper haha

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Heater core honestly wasn't all that bad. The dash wasn't that hard to remove, and Blower / Evap / Heater boxes came out and went back in relatively easy.

Hardest part of the whole job was...
  1. Dealing with all of the extra crap I've added to the car (had a crap load of extra wire under the dash that wasn't routed along the most intelligent of routes) and
  2. Getting the all of the harnesses re-routed back through the dash and getting everything plugged back in.
Its been fun working with the boy on this throughout. We've both been learning a lot, and I'm gracious he's interested in hanging in the garage. As one of my buddies put it... "Raise a kid with a car addiction, he won't have time for a drug addiction".

More to follow with pics on the motor soon. Was up til 3 AM getting the motor ready, it's almost ready to drop in.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Hit a road block last night, and need help. Got nearly everything on and assembled, and am struggling to figure out which of these coolant lines needs to go where.

It seems on the B20 Water Neck / Thermostat Housing, there is one less nipple than I had on the GSR. I've mocked up on top of a picture of what I'm missing. The end result, I don't have anywhere to land a line coming off of the front exhaust side smaller coolant passage. Given this dillema, it looks like I need to cap off one somewhere, either on the front exhaust side, or on the thermostat housing. Just not sure which, or if you guys have suggestions.

Do I plug the Exhaust side port and call it good?

EDIT - Or in the Picture of the Thermostat Housing, can I "tee" the purple line, into the fitting on the exhaust side?

Factory Diagram

Exhaust Side

Thermostat Housing

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Ended up doing quite a bit of reading through other threads, and seems like a few other guys had the same problem. Some of them capped off the line I questioned, and others split a T into the system, which is the route I ended up taking. Hopefully the T doesn't come around to bite me.

Had some other setbacks last night getting the transmission mated up and starter bolted in. There were a couple of the threaded holes for the mount, starter mount, and slave cylinder mount there were either stretched or stripped on the transmission housing. We were able to get some stuff to work and got it all mated up, just set me back quite a few hours last night. I was torn between using the transmission from the swap that I bought (known to have less mileage), or the one that I had in the car. When I pulled the one I had in the car, there was quite a bit of shavings on the magnetic drain plug I put in when I did my clutch, so wanted to avoid putting that one back in if I could help it.

Motor is 100% ready to drop in, and is hanging from the hoist. Plan is to get it dropped in this afternoon (should get out of work here in a couple of hours), and hopefully have it fired up before dark.

Here's a mock-up of what I ended up splicing in on the coolant lines in case anyone needs a reference. Added the "white" "T", into the "purple" line, to finish the loop up to the exhaust side.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
You can just cap that port off. What I did with my brother's GSR head was remove that fitting, tapped the hole, and plugged it with a bolt and thread sealant.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Got motor in, fought the rear HASport for a couple of hours, and ended up putting the stockish one I had back in. Everything at this point is in short of the battery. I ran out of gas for the night, and have a whirlwind trip to SC this weekend.

When I get back, and get some sleep, all that's left is to bleed the brakes, get battery in, and fire it up.

It got dark before I got done, so don't have any final bay pics, but this is close. Final pic of the empty bay right before we dropped motor in, and then right after we got the mounts buttoned up.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Motor is buttoned up, and brakes bled. Fired it up and it purred like a kitten. No leaks after two heat cycles, coolant bled fine, everything looks great.

Bleeding the clutch is a different story. Burned through over a quart of brake fluid, and air out the ass. Ended up finding fluid leaking out of the boot of the slave cylinder. Not sure how or why, as it was fine when we pulled it out. Ordered a new one from Advance, it'll be ready for pickup in the morning.

Always something.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Advance's brake master/slave cylinders never work longer than 3-4 months for me. I bought an exedy on ebay and keep a spare in the trunk now.

Glad the new motor is in! Whats going to happen to the old GSR?

The existing master and slave I did over a year ago, and got from AutoZone. I'll keep a close eye on it now that you've said something, just need to get it rolling with something.

Old Motor is going to sit in the corner for a while. I eventually want to rebuild it, with a purpose built motor for boost (have a B16 head and Edlebrock VictorX for it). Need to recover from this motor a bit, and want to enjoy this one for a while. We'll see what excitement next year brings.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
She lives!

Ended up finding the clutch master cylinder leaking also. After replacing that, got everything bled out within 30 minutes.

Have some fine tuning to do with brake and clutch bleeding, and sounds like we must've bent the brake dust shields along the way. Still haven't noticed any leaks.

Ran it up to 70 mph, VTEC engaged fine. It's going to take some getting used to with no power steering, but I'm digging it.

Have a few kinks to troubleshoot with the alarm and radio, but all in all, she lives, runs great, idles smooth, I'm friggin ecstatic.

301 - 320 of 464 Posts