Team Integra Forums banner

281 - 300 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I love that funnel kit! But non of the attachments fit my Mishimoto rad.....stupid mishimoto!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Update on over heating issue. After having to take a pause on the way back from the Dragon and get a new cap, car hasn't ate any more fluid, fluids still don't appear to be mixing. I drove the car this week, and it does appear that I'm getting a really high pressure in both radiator hoses (I assume I'm leaking exhaust gas into the system, and assuming I've got some kind of head gasket failure). Temps seem to stay normal.

I talked to my store manager about the wide array of block sealers, and we just happened to get a few free bottles of Iron Tite Ceramic Motor Seal. He handed me one to take home and try.

http://www.irontite.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

I'm planning to flush the hell out of it this week, give this sealant stuff a fair shot (following bottle directions to a "T"), followed by a new cooler thermostat and new coolant. Apparently the system has to be clear of antifreeze for this stuff to work (like most of the other products out there).

I'm hoping to simply bandaid the current motor for another couple of months to buy me time to finish my swap right, as have some things I "want to do while I'm there". I'm hoping since I'm not blowing white smoke, and fluids at least aren't blatantly mixing, that I have a fair shot at this stuff working. If I didn't have a new motor in the garage, I would already be diving in and replacing the head gasket.

Worst case new motor goes in way ahead of schedule, and I figure the other stuff I want to do later on.

Let me know if you have a better idea or suggestions for me along the way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Definitely looks like I have a tiny bit of exhaust gas coming into coolant...

Drained initial antifreeze...
Removed thermostat and have blue RTV on the housing for now.
Ran up to temp with just Distilled water, and drained that...

Now have Distilled water and Prestone flush running through now. Figure will drive it around with the heat going with that mixture some tonight and tomorrow, drain that, then throw in the Hail Mary sealer stuff tomorrow. According to the bottle, it needs at least an hour, up to two days.

Figure I'll fill it tomorrow afternoon, drive it a bit, and let it idle here and there, and by Thursday drain. Bottle says to then let it sit empty for at least 12 hours (I'm shooting for close to 24) then fill with coolant, and (hope for the best). Figure next update will be Friday night once she's filled back up and new thermostat in.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
I know I said it'd be Friday before I'd have another update, but I wasn't anticipating this engineering miracle. Was trying to think of a way that I could blow out water / coolant in between flushes, to help insure that the system was empty before filling again. Turns out I had an air mattress pump that the upper radiator hose fits onto like a glove. Its as if this tool was made for this job. Talk about purging coolant with a quickness...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I know I said it'd be Friday before I'd have another update, but I wasn't anticipating this engineering miracle. Was trying to think of a way that I could blow out water / coolant in between flushes, to help insure that the system was empty before filling again. Turns out I had an air mattress pump that the upper radiator hose fits onto like a glove. Its as if this tool was made for this job. Talk about purging coolant with a quickness...

Add that to the tool box!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Sitting here reviewing my list of things left to pick up, and the radiator is still on my list. I want to avoid cross contamination into the new motor, especially after trying this stop leak / block seal. Plan to have new heater core, hoses, etc, and been wanting to get a new radiator. I was looking at the Mishimoto, as it'll pair nice with the Mishimoto fan shroud I already have, but am hearing bad reviews, and issues with magnets dropping out. Any further thoughts on Mishimoto (can you do something to preventatively remove said magnet), or another brand I ought to consider?

·
Registered
338 Posts
wow good thinking on that pump! ive had a mishimoto on my car for almost a year and never had any problems but im not familiar with these magnet problems you speak of. looks like ill have to do some research

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
wow good thinking on that pump! ive had a mishimoto on my car for almost a year and never had any problems but im not familiar with these magnet problems you speak of. looks like ill have to do some research
I know two members recently admitted to having the problem, I guess from a magnetic drain plug, and the magnet can find its way all the way to the thermostat. Didn't know if modifying / replacing the drain plug would be all required, or if someone had a better idea or brand.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/20-your-integra/215643-drmixs-96-cgp-gsr-turbo-build-thread-146.html#post3233137

·
Registered
338 Posts
damn thats scary! luckily mine is currently sitting on my garage floor lol. now i have to take a look at the drain plug and see what the deal is. i never even knew there was a magnet in there. the only problem i did have with mine was the first one i actually purchased from amazon leaked right out of the box but all it took was an email to mishimoto with a pic attached and they sent me another. kind of a pain in the ass to have to install then remove and reinstall the leaking factory rad for a couple days while i waited for the replacement mishi one.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Run Forest

I get it, but would love how it'd pair against the matching fan shroud. Thinking I could replace the drain plug upon arrival for insurance if there's no other major issues. I've heard of a few people seeing leaks out of the box, but those don't seem to be as common, and Mishimoto seems to be pretty straight up at handling those specific claims.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
The magnetic drain plug was an issue but other than that I would still go with Mishimoto. They have the hands down best warranty possible. Lifetime warranty and even if its damaged in a car accident they will still replace it.

I sold my old Mishimoto radiator to a local member and about a year after I sold it to him it got a small leak in it. He called Mishimoto and had a new one on the way that same day. I believe he just had to cover shipping.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Talk about dumb luck timing. Got my annual bonus about 6 weeks early, and was more than I was expecting. Last of the missing pieces are getting ordered today and tomorrow. Looks like I'll be yanking a motor early next week.

Separately, looks like this block sealer worked. Motor is still drying, but wasn't seeing the air or pressure the last few warm ups like I was initially. Seriously thinking coolant won't go back into it at this point.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Well, famous last words...

My son has been a bit more interested than normal in the last week or so in getting out and involved with the car. We got started picking away at the car over the weekend, and I've been trying to slow efforts down a bit, so I can explain what we're doing, what parts are, and teaching him how to better use tools. I had requested to take this Wednesday off, to coordinate with a buddy's schedule, to yank the motor the rest of the way out, so planned to take it easy with my son until then. We got the radiator and hoses removed, power steering out, battery, intake arm, and a lot of the other accessory type stuff that makes a full engine removal easier. We also started picking away at the new block a little bit, trying to get it cleaned and finished up.

Fast forward to last night, had the same buddy come over just to hang and do some prep work. A couple of beers later, we're feeling motivated, a neighbor gets curious of what we're doing, jumps in to give a hand, and engine made its way out of the car.

I'm waiting on a shipment from Delray Acura, that contains a few of my last seals, gaskets, brake lines, and other doodads. While the motor is out, I'm looping the PS, deleting the ABS, and plan to give the whole bay a solid cleaning. I had plans to paint the whole bay, but not sure it's going to happen right now. Still going to take advantage of my day off Wednesday, as its not that often I get a day off to do things for me. I'm hopeful by midweek next week the new motor should be in and running.

Side note, I cannot recommend this work light enough. It doesn't have the heat a more traditional light does, is brighter, and has that more pure white. It was awesome having this last night to help light everything up.
Husky | Husky 5 ft. 1720 Lumen Led Work Light with Tripod | Home Depot Canada

Pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Looks like a blast!

Heres another link for the light. I might have to pick one up. You can never have enough light.
Husky 5 ft. 1720-Lumen LED Work Light with Tripod-K40011 - The Home Depot
Thanks for the link. I purchased it on sale at Home Depot a while ago. Its nice, as can use floor level, or mount to the tripod to really raise it up. I want to say it gets the head of the light up to 5 or 6 feet off the ground. I frequently use this in the garage, with the door open, during the day when the suns out, to help light things up even more. It is that bright.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
One other item we're hacking away at... My brother is in the process of pulling the whole dash out, so I can get the Heater Core replaced. Figure car is 20 years old, close to 260k on it, and am replacing every other component coolant related, might as well. While the dash is out, I'm hoping to adjust the brake pedal switch, which got slightly out of adjustment during the brake booster swap and subsequent adjustments, which was keeping my cruise control from engaging (I think). We'll see what else we discover once we get there. Maybe lay some more Peel&Seal on the firewall or something?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
ABS motor and lines are out, PS lines removed, and have added the adapter to the rack. Need to pick up a stiffer section of fuel hose, as the one I have is kinking making the loop.

Dash is out, about to start in on heater core replacement.

So have a question. In the process of moving things to the new block... Main question is the block water neck / pipe... Should I transfer to the new block, and run the GSR oil cooler, or leave the B20 water pipe as is? Just not sure how the GSR manifold and heater / coolant hoses would route off of the stock block. Also concerned with said cooler, and clearance with a Glowshift sandwich that feeds the VTEC oil line. Advice anyone?

281 - 300 of 464 Posts